Oxford Rail Wagons

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
thirdline

Oxford Rail Wagons

Post by thirdline »

I've bought a couple of Oxford Rail 7 plank wagons and they look impressive to me, but at the moment I'm between layouts and cannot test them in action before I buy some more. Does anyone have some of these wagons? do they live up to your expectations?

Thanks,

Mick.
End2end

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Post by End2end »

I found the couplings to be lower than most so I sold my one that I bought.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I have three wagons and find them excellent. No problems running , coupling and uncoupling whatsoever. In fact I am looking to buy some more.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
End2end

Post by End2end »

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm using the BK uncoupling method and thus the problem. The actual look of the wagons was excellent to my untrained eye. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I ordered one when they were first announced, just to see how they measured up to the ones from the usual suspects. The only thing that was a bit dubious was the top edges of the sides were a bit translucent. Nothing a coat of black paint followed by one of a mucky version of its outside didn't cure.
I took the couplers off to do the BK mod, after I had re fitted them they seemed to be OK. I may have inadvertantly cured a problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi can only say they are as good or better than HORNBY and Bachmann ,I've got the first twelve seven plank trucks they released ,very nice and I would definatley buy more ,,,,,mjb
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

BK...BK... Remind me what BK is? :D
Are the prices similar to the likes of Hornby and Bachmann?
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Mountain wrote:BK...BK... Remind me what BK is? :D
Are the prices similar to the likes of Hornby and Bachmann?

I have found the prices are cheaper ,you have to shop around ,I paid @ £7 / £8 each ,,,,,,
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Mountain wrote:BK...BK... Remind me what BK is? :D
Just put Brian Kirby into Search and all will be revealed.
thirdline

Post by thirdline »

Well, I think that has answered that particular query.

Thanks to all who replied.

Mick.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Thanks. :) £7 is reasonable today compared to the competition. And Oxford factory is not that far from where I live. Kinda makes a joke of the idea of the idea to move production to the far east to remain competitive doesn't it? I honestly expected them to be a good couple of pounds more then the competition. Makes one think. If the far east has the good exchange rates and cheaper labour, and we get price rises? Strange eh?
Well done Oxford. You are doing well. :) Keep a steady price and keep making them in the UK.
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

Mountain wrote: And Oxford factory is not that far from where I live. Kinda makes a joke of the idea of the idea to move production to the far east to remain competitive doesn't it? ...Keep a steady price and keep making them in the UK.
Really? I understood Oxford Rail products were made in China, just like the others:

http://www.oxfordrail.com/General.htm
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I just received my first Oxford Rails waggon, "Coventry Collieries". I have no idea of the accuracy of the livery or the underframe brake gear, but in my opinion the quality is up there with anything from the Bachmann stable. I will definitely be looking at other OR waggons in the future.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The seven plank mineral is flawed in many details, it is suspected to be a model of one specific wagon with non-standard repairs rather than a typical wagon. Confining comparison to RTR, the Bachmann product of 16 years ago creams it in a number of respects; and their range offers many more of the typical variations in construction style and equipment. The build and finish is good enough if that can be overlooked, and I can see the attraction on price for any who missed out on the Bachmann products when available new at a fiver a throw. (I might be looking at what becomes available s/h though!)

The OR wagon that gets my vote is their model of the LNER design six plank general merchandise open. Never previously available RTR and a good model of a once very common steam era wagon. There's a small defect in the brake gear representation, but that can be cured in under five minutes thanks to a clip in construction, and yields a spare set of brake gear. Assessed on this wagon alone, no better or worse than the scale of error typical in current RTR wagon releases from the competitors.

That was their fourth wagon release after a significantly flawed LNER cattle wagon, and a somewhat better NBR 'Jubilee' wagon; So one hopes that this represents a climb up the learning curve to achieving parity at a significantly lower price. The next wagon releases will tell.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

My biggest dislike of these wagons is how far the couplings stick out. Its fairly easy to cure for a much better look though. I have no idea on accuracy, I leave that to those in the know. Way I look at it is, if you like what you see, that's just fine ;)