Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Post by Atso »

Thanks Mountain. :)

On Saturday, I attended the Dapol Collectors Club open day. This was the second year that I have attended and I enjoyed it ever bit as much as the first year. The ability to see Dapol's UK manufacturing arm, ask questions and see machinery, such as their injection moulding machines, work as well as enjoy several exhibition layers and a couple of traders makes this a very different event to other exhibitions. My thanks go out to the staff at Dapol for organising and staffing this day and I look forward to attending again next year.

During the day, I picked up three non running N Gauge locomotives. These were two additional Halls (for conversion into Altantics) and a valanced A4 in the guise of Mallard for the sum total of £95 (£5 over budget though!). Finding myself with a bit of free time yesterday, I tinkered with these and got all three running!

Above is Mallard. Having braced myself for the potential task of having to completely strip and rebuild this loco, I found that the problems were that both the loco to tender wires had been broken, the drive shaft had been removed (found in the bottom of the box) and that the tender drawbar had been removed and incorrectly refitted causing the first three tender wheels to be lifted off the track (and cause insufficient pickup to turn the motor). The replacement/repairs (the spares/detailing pack was still in the box) took 25 minutes and now Mallard runs as well as any other A4 I have.

The tender will need some modest modification as Dapol, I assume constrained by tooling costs, have fitted the closest example from their existing range of tender bodies. This will be relatively simple requiring the beading to be removed and a streamlined cover fitted to the front of the tender. However, this will require a repaint of the tender and I'll take the opportunity to replace the numbers as well to maintain a consistent style and straighten them out a little.

The two Halls, Priory Hall just needed a traction tire resetting on its wheel as it had come off and gotten tangled between the wheel and coupling rod. Cranmore Hall was in much the same condition as Mallard but with the additional complication of having a snapped drawbar. As I will not be using the existing drawbars and having been offered a fair price from a 2mm finescale modeller for the body, I stripped this one down yesterday and fitted my last set of spare Dapol Britannia wheels to bring it to the same state as the concept model shown on the previous page.

My planned conversion into Atlantics is quite involved and only a few key parts from the Halls will make it into the final locomotives. However, the price of these non-runners was less than the cost of the component parts as spares (assuming that all are available) and the process of stripping the first one down has given me an understanding of the design and some ideas how I'll have to design the Atlantic body to best utilise the existing fixing points.
Steve
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Result mate!
I really must become a club member, I really want to do the factory tour and it would give me the excuse to buy a Black label and get a hefty discount!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Atso

Post by Atso »

TimberSurf wrote:Result mate!
I really must become a club member, I really want to do the factory tour and it would give me the excuse to buy a Black label and get a hefty discount!
It is a really good day and I thoroughly recommend it. However, what is on offer is based on what has been returned (I was after a couple more LNER A3s to convert but alas, none were available) and I think the NQP Black Label A4s weren't discounted down to the level of the N Gauge ones - I can't confirm that I'm afraid as I didn't look at the larger scales.

You also get a complimentary wagon (a small charge for an O gauge one though) that, if arranged in advance, you can build yourself!

I must join the Bachmann club at some point as well so I can see what their open day is like! :D
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

With some commitments to other modellers progressing sufficiently, I'm temporarily turned my attention to a locomotive that I've long wanted but, due to some serious clearance issues, have never been successful in making.

Above is my interpretations of an GNR/LNER C1 which is as close to scale as I think can be managed in N Gauge. The prototype presents numerous challenges with its tight 6'10 coupled wheelbase (6'8 driving wheels!), rear bogie wheels that almost touch the front drivers and a set of cylinders that pass through the running plate!

The primary donor model is the Dapol Hall but fitted with Britannia driving wheels. These are under scale but the biggest that can be fitted within the 7' coupled wheelbase of the Hall. The bogie is actually fixed to the frames and works by giving the front set of wheels plenty of side play. Despite both the driving and bogie wheels being slightly under scale, I've had to move the rear bogie wheels forward slightly to clear the front driving wheels. Regardless of these compromises the body is to scale length and only 0.5mm wider than scale - necessary to get enough clearance for the connecting rods and cross heads.

The tender is fitted with spare Peco Collett wheels and a Nigel Lawton 8mm coreless motor - the Dapol one is too wide and tall to fit! Overall a complete hodge pudge of components but, surprisingly, it actually works!

http://youtu.be/EYerYhKUxjc
Steve
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Will see the film in a bit. Do the cylinders clear your platforms? They dont half seem to stick out. No doubt the prototype may have been very close to the platform edges.
You've done brilliantly to get the loco to workin such a challenging scale.
Atso

Post by Atso »

Thanks Mountain.

There shouldn't be a problem with platform clearances (when I have an actual layout!) as, while I've had to widen the loco slightly, it's still thinner than many rtr offerings.
Steve
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I'd forgotten how small N gauge is. I was reminded yesterday when I saw some GWR 4-6-0's running on a test track with Swansea Model Railway Club as I paid a visit. They looked like the ones you have in a pic. above. I didn't check to see what class of 4-6-0 they were. Didn't want to strain my eyes! :D
Atso

Post by Atso »

Mountain wrote:I'd forgotten how small N gauge is. I was reminded yesterday when I saw some GWR 4-6-0's running on a test track with Swansea Model Railway Club as I paid a visit. They looked like the ones you have in a pic. above. I didn't check to see what class of 4-6-0 they were. Didn't want to strain my eyes! :D
N Gauge is small but I'm amazed that a small number of people are building locos and stock in T Gauge! :o :o

Like you, I struggle to see what classes of GWR 4-6-0's are in N Gauge but that is more of a case of blaming Swindon's standardisation and not being up to speed on the differences of each class! :lol: In all seriousness, I ended up having to be really careful designing the County as I kept looking at the next set of drawings on the opposite page - silly on my part really as the County was the only GWR 4-6-0 with continuous splashers! :oops:
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

I've finished the basic colour scheme for the C1 which will become 4452 as it was one of two Atlantics that deputised for a failed A4 that hauled the Silver Jubilee set into Kings Cross during the late 1930's. I've also found some more photographs of this locomotive and, as it achieved it's Silver Jubilee feat during the summer, it is the better candidate for me over 4446.

Anyway, here is the current state of play.

I've still got the wheel centers to line but it is starting to look the part (to me anyway). It's been temporarily reassembled as some friends were over from Holland who wanted to see it. We met for breakfast this morning at the local service station (they're on their way to Derby for some American Railway meetup) and spent an enjoyable hour or so discussing this and Robinson locomotives (one of them is a big fan of Robinson's work!).

It has got to come apart again for the painting of details and lining. I also have to sort out the tender pickups and how I'm going to connect the loco and tender, both physically and electrically.

The County hasn't been neglected though. At the moment it is being hand lined but I'll hold off posting any photos until things are a little further alone. What I will say is that brush painting double lined corners is taxing on one's patience!
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

Things have been progressing on various bits and pieces recently...

The C1 has had various features picked out in brass, black and polished steel and will move to the lining stage once dry. Apologies for the quality of the pictures, the sun is not being helpful to my phone camera today!

The County has not be neglected though and has seen the double lining applied and the valances painted green.

The double lining was created using clear decal paper sprayed in the colour of the outer lines and, once dry, a black line was ruled in using my bow pen. Once this was dry, I lined up a ruler against the edge of the black and used a curved no. 10 scalpel blade to cut the decal out. The taper of the blade results in the thin outer line when cut and I use the curved blade to ensure that the tip isn't in contact with the decal as I've found this can lead to a fuzzy or tore edge (despite always using fresh blades for this kind of work).

The corners are brush painted in once the decals have been applied, painting in the out lines first and the inner black line a day or two later. As I don't think Orange 'scales' well, I used Ian Rathbone's technique of using Humbrol no. 9 gloss tan, mixed with a little red, to represent the orange lining. When placed on the dark green surface, it looks better to my eyes - and who I am to argue with Mr Rathbone!

I've still got the splasher lining to do and then the other side - I must remember to buy some copper paint for the chimney!

The BR V3 has also had its lining finished but the present lighting conditions have defeated any attempt to get a half decent photograph of this loco this morning. I'll be added crests and numbers in due course.
Steve
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Hi Steve,

Been a while since I have been here, some great progress you have made with these models. Its amazing to think these are N gauge... quite amazing...
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Atso

Post by Atso »

mattmay05 wrote:Hi Steve,

Been a while since I have been here, some great progress you have made with these models. Its amazing to think these are N gauge... quite amazing...
Thank you Matt and my apologies for the delay in replying.

I've been busy with some commission work recently. Unfortunately, I am not able to share everything but can offer a handful of pictures of a couple of projects.

V3 no. 67656; a 3D printed body on a modified N class chassis. See here before I glazed the cab but otherwise as it was supplied to the customer. The weathering was done using the techniques described in Martyn Welch's book 'The Art of Weathering'.

A Severn Models etched brass signal box kit. The interior kit has also been fitted along with some scratch built and 3D printed details.

My own C1 Atlantic has also been moving forward at a snails pace but the end is now in sight.

Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

With Christmas nearing, a couple of new locomotives are being designed/built for my future Hadley Wood layout.

Both locomotives are ex-GNR J3s but hopefully show the absolute minefield that, due to the extensive rebuildings over a long period of time, the details can become. Both of these models are based on 1930's photographs of locomotives based at Hitchin; I would have loved to have modelled one of the London allocated examples but, unfortunately, they seemed to have been camera shy.

The near locomotive will become no. 4011 for which I have a photograph of it at Potters Bar hauling a ballast train. The furthest one will be no. 4154 for which I have a photograph of it leaving Hitchin on a south bound stopping passenger. Both of these locos are highly likely to have been seen at Hadley Wood from time to time.

Getting sufficient clearances on such tiny locomotives (c. 50mm long) has been challenging to say the least! With a bit of luck, 4154 might have a set of driving wheels tomorrow - fingers crossed! :D
Steve
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Blessings at Christmas Atso. Those locos look lovely. I'm sure you will get a second chance to see the lovely London allocated locos one day... Your models are inspiring. It makes me think how amazing models you would make in a larger scale!
Atso

Post by Atso »

Mountain wrote:Blessings at Christmas Atso. Those locos look lovely. I'm sure you will get a second chance to see the lovely London allocated locos one day... Your models are inspiring. It makes me think how amazing models you would make in a larger scale!
Merry Christmas to you as well Mountain!

Many thanks for the kind words. I think that I'll stick with N gauge though as it is more forgiving of the few bits and pieces I still leave off the models!
Steve