STAINED GLASS WINDOWS FOR MODEL CHURCHES

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
rogerabbit

STAINED GLASS WINDOWS FOR MODEL CHURCHES

Post by rogerabbit »

6a.JPG
6a.JPG (34.04 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
I thought I would share a discovery I made while lighting my buildings. I've always found it disappointing that proprietary brands of model churches are supplied with clear windows or no glazing at all - and that stained glass would look excellent if lit. And then I thought, "nail varnish" ! At the risk of raised eyebrows from my partner, I purchased a cheap set of nine varnishes in a variety of colours from an online auction site for a few pounds. No self-respecting no-talent celeb would sink so low - but fine for my purpose.

I set about experimenting using that clear plastic that so many foods are packaged in. I use it for glazing all my buildings. Packaging provides us with so many excellent and free modelling materials. I cut off a section and drew rough outlines of church windows onto the plastic with a felt tip. I decided to apply the varnish in dots with a pin - a sort of modelling pointillism! Soon discovered that it was necessary to give each dot two or three coats - no problem because I could switch to a different colour while one was drying. I completed several designs and tested them by shining a torch behind them. For an effective result it's important that the varnishes are applied thickly - and that you continually shake the bottles before using them. Have settled on a design, I copied it onto the glazing for my model. Should you wish to try this, I suggest that you too practice before committing to the final application.

The result? Well, you must be the judge of that. Photos follow. Bear in mind that these windows are tiny and that the photos enlarge them. Originally I hoped to copy a cathedral window, but at HO/OO scale this is nigh impossible. However an abstract design has the desired effect. It was painstaking - but fun: -
11.JPG
11.JPG (55.58 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
14.JPG
14.JPG (48.24 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
13.JPG
13.JPG (61.8 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
5a.JPG
5a.JPG (26.5 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
pointstaken

Re: STAINED GLASS WINDOWS FOR MODEL CHURCHES

Post by pointstaken »

Roger Rabbit,
What an excellent idea.
That packaging can also be used for ordinary windows.

Thank you.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you want to reproduce a real stained glass window, start with a photo, you might have to do some perspective adjustments (unless you stood on top of a bus a few yards away), scale it to fit the model and print it out on an ink-jet printer and OHP transparency. If you don't run to a printer or the transparency sheet, take your file or a paper print out to a stationery shop and they will copy or print it out for you. If it's simply a case of lacking the transparency they may even sell them singly, our's does, mainly for kids doing project work.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
rogerabbit

Post by rogerabbit »

Love your layout, Buffer. Stunning - spent a happy age looking at it. Beautiful and idiosyncratic like all the best are. Real work of art.

Tried the transparency method a while back and sadly it doesn't work. After a lot of fiddling around the print looked fine but extremely small. I saw no reason why it shouldn't work. But in situ with the addition of light the effect was disappointing. Too much light and it washed out. At low light the result was a blur - no separation of colour. I reasoned that the transparency had too little intensity of colour. Also that the windows are so tiny in HO/OO scale that there could be no separation of colour - at least, not discernible to the human eye. York and Linka were the only model manufacturers who supply this kind of thing and they attempt nothing complex. The 'varnish' method gave the necessary intensity because I could layer the colour and produced a jewel like effect - as you get from the real thing and not noticeable in the photos. Also you could simplify the design and control separation of colour. But I think the transparency method could work in O gauge.

Thank you for the kind comment, Dennis. Much appreciated.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Bufferstop wrote: print it out on an ink-jet printer and OHP transparency.
but that way you don't get a tin full of chocolates to eat :lol:
End2end

Post by End2end »

alex3410 wrote:but that way you don't get a tin full of chocolates to eat :lol:
You've given me a post-Christmas idea :!: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread