Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bulleidboy

Re: Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post by bulleidboy »

The Hornby 4-wheel coaches, shown previously, had very "white" lighting. I have put a dab of Tamiya Clear Yellow on each LED - it softens the lighting a little - more in keeping the era the coaches are supposed to portray?
ImageIMG_1476 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

They look the part with those lights, Barry.
Pete.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Very nice indeed. I hope to do the same with decoders in my Hattons versions.
I like those lit arches too. I don't think I've seen them before. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Many thanks for the comments. The illuminated arches were done as a bit of fun. Metcalfe retaining walls, with two strips of copper tape glued to the back, and pre-wired 3v LED's (Ebay) soldered to the tape and concealed in the top of the arch. A lead also soldered to the tape was dropped down below the baseboard to a power supply.
ImageIMG_0823 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0825 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Double entry 0ooooops!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Definitely draws the eye. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

One of the LED's has blown - I've got men working on it! :roll:
ImageIMG_0949 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

A recent addition to the "collection" and now fitted with the new HM7000 21pin TXS sound decoder and operating via my iPhone 8 (IOS 16.3.1). I have been running it for two or three weeks (testing for Hornby). It has had the 9F sound profile added, and I am pleased to say it is all working well. The sounds are superior to TTS, and the Hornby 9F range benefit from having a speaker box built into the tender. One of the functions of the new system is the de-coupling - you can set a timed period (just a couple of seconds required - but longer available) and your loco will move just an inch or even less, which is ideal when using under track magnets and Kadee couplers. You can also use three sound functions a the same time. Still a lot to learn, but a real game changer. I forgot to add that at the flick (actually a slide) of button you can go back to DCC operation, and in my case keep controlling the loco with my Elite controller.

ImageIMG_1529 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
End2end

Post by End2end »

bulleidboy wrote:One of the LED's has blown - I've got men working on it! :roll:
Temporary cameo's :?: :idea:
Who knew!! :D

I've got a version of the 9F, the TTS decoder for it and a sugar cube speaker waiting to all be put together just as a cheap experiment / foray into sound.
The decoder being the cheap part not the loco. That did cost a lot.
Seeing yours might be the inspiration to get mine done. It all looks quite delicate though. :?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi E2e
The one advantage (in my eyes) is that the 9F uses the HM7000 21pin sound decoder which is a plug-in (direct fit no harness), and the speaker supplied with the decoder fits perfectly into the space provided. I have also got the Hornby Power Pack (stay-alive), but I have not fitted that - it will probably fit, but it's amazing how the space gets used even in a 9F tender. The downside to the system at this moment, it will change, is that you cannot operate HM7000 from an Android phone, it's being worked on, and hopefully will appear in the not to distant future. The speaker and Power pack both plug into the decoder, and the sockets are different so you cannot plug in to the wrong one. Remember these decoders can be set up in the usual way on your programming track, and do have a basic sound package (A1/A3).
End2end

Post by End2end »

I should have mentioned, it's a Bachmann version. Not sure how they differ internally.
I was going to follow this conversion on the other place.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... r-fitting/
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I think it will be a case taking the loco apart, and just seeing how everything will fit. There has been mention of the new decoders being susceptible to static, so care must be taken when handling them - or earth yourself beforehand :( . Although the speaker that comes with the ne HM7000 system is small, it is very good, and there is a selection of speaker boxes as part of the package. I am awaiting delivery of an 8pin sound decoder, which will go into the tender of a late model rebuilt Merchant Navy Class. Most of the later Hornby models have a circular (28mm) cut-out to place a circular speaker under the weight in the tender. I may fit one of these when the decoder arrives - it will allow more room in the tender for the decoder and associated wiring attached to it, and may be the stay-alive.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I have fitted a Hornby Class 08 Diesel Shunter with the new Hornby TXS Decoder and speaker - tight fit, but went in. I have also fitted a DCC Concepts ABC Shuttle module. With a few changes to a couple of CV's on the decoder, the loco now goes back and forth from one end of the layout to the other, stops, currently for one minute (four minutes max setting), before returning. In this video clip, the stop time is set for ten seconds.
ImageIMG_1560 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Phred

Post by Phred »

Very nice! :)
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

If you had options for likes I would litter them all over your thread I really like the night time lighting from recent posts but nice quality work Impressed