Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bulleidboy

Re: Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post by bulleidboy »

A new addition at Wykeham shed.

ImageIMG_1375 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

No work on the layout for sometime. I am about to replace the Metcalfe Retaining Wall with a self-cast textured wall - not sure yet whether to use plaster or resin. I have the moulds, I just need to start mixing.

A quiet day at Wykeham Shed.

ImageIMG_1383 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I have started to replace the Metcalfe Retaining Wall - there is nothing really wrong with it, but it lacks texture. In the first picture I have used a plaster retaining wall I found on ebay - pre-painted (Halfords Grey Primer??). It was £15 for 870mm - so fairly cheap, and is very similar in looks to the Bachmann Scenecraft version. It needs some weathering and added detail, but it does look a little more realistic than the Metcalfe version.

The second picture depicts a quick home-cast retaining wall from a ScaleCast mould. It came out well, but, I think the detail is too coarse.

Comments welcome.

ImageIMG_1408 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1411 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End2end

Post by End2end »

To my eye, I think the retaining walls look to be made of brick and the cast version of stone.
Thus the coarseness of the cast version.
Perhaps your depicted layout location might be a deciding factor?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The home cast version looks rather crude to me, mortar lines too deep, stones around the arch too small in comparison to the rest. I'd go for the other ones but it really needs detailing to introduce some variation into the brickwork.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Many thanks for the comments. I think I will use the dark grey "brick" walling. The more I look at it, the plaster cast "stone walling" appears out of scale.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

If you are shopping in Halfords try Halfords super matt Khakki as it makes a great primer for brickwork, it has that concrete/mortar look when dry and if you sponge on your grey/brown stone colour. I had a recommendation to use 7mm Slaters stone plasticard, it had worked really well for me

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Jim - Thanks for the suggestion about the Halfords Matt Khakki - I might try that. Although I think a wall bordering a steam shed, over the years would be a dirty black - even the pointing.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

A Class 205 (Thumper) leaving Wykeham.

ImageIMG_1421 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I have added working headlights to the leading taxi on the station cab rank. Only problem appears to be one light on "main-beam" the other on "dipped". Will get that changed before MOT is due. :roll:

ImageIMG_1429 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Battle of Britain Class 34070 "Manston" on a quick visit to Wykeham, having received its new 10-year boiler ticket on the 16th November 2022 after a five year overhaul. The real "Manston" can now be seen again on the Swanage Railway.

ImageIMG_1432 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

A good "Black Friday" deal - Four 4-wheel coaches (with lights) for the price of two.
ImageIMG_1453 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Always love seeing bits of Wykeham.

Geoff T.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Thanks Geoff T - I have not done much of late. I have replaced the Metcalfe Stone Retaining wall with a plaster-cast version - it has texture and detail which the Metcalfe version lacks. I am now going to mount the walling on strips of wood, with a similar strip along the back, this will enable sections to be removed in one piece (five sections of walling). Followed by some weathering and plant growth along the top.
Although I bought the moulds from Scalecast, I did not use them, I did a trial and they looked to much like a castle wall, whereas what I have used was cheap, and looks very much like the Bachmann Scenecraft retaining wall.

ImageIMG_1445 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1444 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Having replaced almost nine feet of Metcalfe Stone Retaining Wall with a plaster cast version, I now have to start the weathering process. I have a couple of pieces of walling with which to experiment on. I have stuck the walling onto some strip pine (copied this idea from Shawhurst/Fratton71D), so there are now four, five and six wall sections per removable section. Currently playing with paint colours and washes.
ImageIMG_1459 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr