Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bulleidboy

Re: Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post by bulleidboy »

Image100_0521 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Needs passengers.

ImageIMG_0539 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Work on the layout has been a little slow of late. I am in the process of fitting new backscenes (ID Backscenes - Hills and Dales) - I've used the Premium range that are self-adhesive with a peel-off backing paper. It really is a two-person job, but I've managed on my own with only a few very small creases which I hope will be lost behind bushes and trees - in the evening with the room light dimmed, you cannot see the creases at all, but of course you know there there! I have also been building the Ratio Station Canopy and adding lighting during the build (several awaiting construction!)- as of this moment they are not operational. They are now!

ImageIMG_0020 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

This picture shows the station canopies. The power is taken via two 1.5mm copper rods that are run either side of the canopy for its entire length, and look like part of the roof construction - pre-bending the rod, it runs down the canopy support - one at each end (+/-) - it looks like a length of drainpipe. I have used the same lampshades that are on the Platform lamps (Ratio), and mounting these onto a small square of plasticard, a small hole is drilled through the lampshade and mounting plate, the wires from the LED are passed through the lamp and mounting plate, prior to soldering the wires to the copper rods, the mounting plate is glued to the central roof truss that runs the length of the roof - I have five lamps under each canopy kit. The copper rods are about an inch longer than the canopy support, and slide into a length of brass tubing that is fixed in place flush with the platform surface, but extend under the boards by about half an inch - a choc-bloc is attached to the tubing at each end to which is attached the power - you could solder it. Fitting it this way means that the whole canopy can be removed in seconds - with the rods very fractionally out of alignment means that you get a tight fit and good electrical contact. One of the members of another forum came up with this idea and it works very well.

ImageIMG_0593 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

You can see the creases in the backscene above the high retaining wall. I have extended the retaining wall the full length of this side of the layout. I got this idea from Fratton71D's layout Shawhurst - he has a lot of retaining wall - I think it looks very good.

ImageIMG_0322 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Wed May 13, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Just caught this thread, what a great looking layout! Great shots of the lighting (subject close to my heart), the Southern lamps look superb. The copper rod in brass tube lift out, is a great idea, I had similar thoughts for my engine shed (to be), though most of my building lights will have 0.1in Molex connectors (to connect to servo cables under neath) and driven by PWM computer control (eliminates brightness issues)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Progress has been a little slow of late, but have now added the Metcalfe "Stone" Retaining Wall to the back of the fiddle-yard - the walling has been "dirtied" using charcoal dust and a paint brush. The lighting was just a bit of a novelty!

Image100_0567 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Wed May 13, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I have also added some passengers and ticket office staff.

Image100_0531 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

bulleidboy wrote:I have also added some passengers and ticket office staff.

Excellent picture. Really got a lot of atmosphere.
Keep up the good work.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Have to second that. The light level in that night shot are perfect, much better than brilliant white or almost cold blue. What ever it is you do, keep doing it! :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Thanks for the comments Bufferstop and Pete (Railway Robbo). The pictures really are nothing special - an old Kodak EasyShare CX7530 camera, which has 5m pixels - I bought it very many years ago with some Boots Points - really! Pictures are taken with flash turned off.

I now have to build some new retaining wall - a bit over the top, as it's just in the fiddle yard, but I'm thinking of putting hidden lighting in each arch of the wall with the odd period poster - giving a "down-light effect on the poster. As I say, a bit over the top, but I'm keen to see what it looks like - not really 50/60's era lighting - if I don't like it, I can turn it off.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Looking great and very atmospheric. :)
Just one tiny tiny critique. The heads of the people shiny under the lights. Is there a way to matt them to defeat the shine?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi End2end - It's the 1950/early 60's - it's Brylcreem - Lol! I'll see what I can do.
End2end

Post by End2end »

bulleidboy wrote:Hi End2end - It's the 1950/early 60's - it's Brylcreem - Lol! I'll see what I can do.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This forum makes me laugh hardy and often. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If it's the 1950s You might have one bloke somewhere with his shiny Brylcreem bonce but everyone else would be wearing hats, strange pointless cloth things that they used to put on their heads.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

End2end wrote:Looking great and very atmospheric. :)
Just one tiny tiny critique. The heads of the people shiny under the lights. Is there a way to matt them to defeat the shine?
Thanks
End2end
Paint the hair skin colour, problem solved, light bouncing from heads realistic