Rosevale

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
rosenblad

Rosevale

Post by rosenblad »

For some time now I've wanted to try the Roco GeoLine track with a ballast base. The beauty of the system is the way point motors and their decoders are simply installed within the ballast base, leaving the rails to act as wiring. The fact that the points are fully equipped with polarized live frogs makes things even better! Flexible track looks more realistic, of course, but for ease of construction some compromise must be made, and not having to lie under the layout with a hot soldering iron makes it attractive. This is what the points look like after fitting motor and decoder:

The layout was built using the woodwork from my previous layout, but instead of using chipboard again I wanted to try wet room wall boards. These are easily cut using a knife, and they were simply glued to the benchwork. Holes for the feeder wires were simply done with a brad awl instead of drilling! Track is held in place by simply flowing watered-down pva glue around the edges of the ballast base instead of pins.
Carpe Diem!
rosenblad

Re: Rosevale

Post by rosenblad »

When the glue bonding the plastic ballast base to the baseboard is dry I spread Woodland Scenics ballast over the plastic base in the usual way giving this result:

I've found that the ballast is often disturbed by drops of water when I "wet" the ballast with a sprayer before applying the glue to the ballast, creating craters in the ballast surface. My latest solution to this is to spray it with ethyl alcohol instead of wet water, completely eliminating the craters!
Carpe Diem!
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

All buildings and accessories from the old layout was also used on this layout. They are mostly Bachmann and Hornby Skaledale.

The buffer stops were Peco, but they did not fit the GeoLine track. The Lanarkshire Models kits came to the rescue, and they look very good. After a coat of paint (Lifecolor satin black) the result was pleasing:

Carpe Diem!
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

Dent station has always been a favourite of mine, so I was very happy when I could add Hornby's version to my collection. A few chimney pots from Dart castings and flowers in hanging baskets from Harburn Hobbies made it even better. Bachmann's Market Hampton waiting room does not look out of place either!

The Hornby foot bridge was cut down to size, and my station was a fact!
Carpe Diem!
Streaks and Teaks

Post by Streaks and Teaks »

The Roco track looks great, I really like pre ballasted track having recently bought KATOs n gauge version.
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

The reflection of the windows on the platform seems to suggest a rainy afternoon!

My little village is coming along nicely, and the I think garden fence print by Wordsworth is a rather nice addition. Thank you Mike!

Carpe Diem!
Kerluk

Post by Kerluk »

Nice layout. :D :D :D
Streaks and Teaks wrote:The Roco track looks great, I really like pre ballasted track having recently bought KATOs n gauge version.
I like this kind of track too. I'm planning to use Trix C track one day.
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

Thank you! I think your decision to use Trix C-track is a good one! The quality is second to none and the system of contacts between the rails are simply the best. :D
Carpe Diem!
Kerluk

Post by Kerluk »

Absolutely. Plus I hate ballasting the track. :mrgreen:
RogerH

Post by RogerH »

Hi!

What a nice layout you got there, Tom!
What are the overal dimensions of it?
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

Thank you very much for your kind words, Roger! The layout is 1.4 X 3.6 meters.
Carpe Diem!
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

Merry Christmas from Rosevale to all NRM members!

Carpe Diem!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

rosenblad wrote:Merry Christmas from Rosevale to all NRM members!

I like that scene. :) It would look great as a Christmas card.