Track suggestions thread

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
mahoganydog

Track suggestions thread

Post by mahoganydog »

Hi all,

I've no idea if Peco or any of the other manufacturers will read this!

This is open to all scales so if there is a track related product you'd like to see post the scale and what it is.

I'll start this off with a 00 code 75 medium radius slip (single and double).

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Emettman

Re: Track suggestions thread

Post by Emettman »

A live/electrofrog version of the standard Hornby/Peco R&L point, to wean people over without them having to rebuild entire layouts.

(Yes, I know it's too steep a curve and everything else... but there must be thousands and thousands where piecemeal replacement of "points that give trouble" would make for a happier world.)
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

One point I thought would be popular with modern image modellers was a catch point on a 12 degree curve to match the standard Peco point, this would allow the modelling of the modern goods loop with the catch point at the end.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Agree on the "electrofrog" version of the standard settrack point, would be useful in fiddle yards and hidden loops. Might even be offered as a "teach yourself kit" packed with an explanatory booklet some lengths of wire and a point motor with the changeover switch.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

luckymucklebackit wrote:One point I thought would be popular with modern image modellers was a catch point on a 12 degree curve to match the standard Peco point, this would allow the modelling of the modern goods loop with the catch point at the end.

Jim
Any none passenger line that joins with a mainline should have a trap point. It's far from a modern thing. In fact not all modern loops have them, some are protected by a double signal arrangement instead.

HTH

Jim
b308

Post by b308 »

Some sort of "flexi points"... The Real Thing does not consist of lots of "standard" points, they are all different... The reason layouts made from standard points from Peco or Hornby look wrong is because they are! We have flexi track which gets us away from the "train set" set radii 1, 2, 3, etc. We need the same for points and crossings!

Or is that too radical for some people... :?:
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Flexipoints sounds good in theory, although I'm struggling to work out how you could actually buy a set of points that you can bend usefully without things not lining up. Even on the real railway they used to construct a point in the yard then take it apart and put it back together, rather than having a kit of generic bits that they used all the time onsite. I suspect the closest we'll get is what we have now - it's called hand-built track!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Emettman wrote:A live/electrofrog version of the standard Hornby/Peco R&L point, to wean people over without them having to rebuild entire layouts...
Ah, but you cannot make a simple substitute live crossing set track point, because it cannot be made 'self isolating'. So substituting one into a layout which has regular set track self isolating points means adding new wiring to the layout, on most layouts you would do well if it was only one new wire for every replaced point.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Bigmet wrote:
Emettman wrote:A live/electrofrog version of the standard Hornby/Peco R&L point, to wean people over without them having to rebuild entire layouts...
Ah, but you cannot make a simple substitute live crossing set track point, because it cannot be made 'self isolating'. So substituting one into a layout which has regular set track self isolating points means adding new wiring to the layout, on most layouts you would do well if it was only one new wire for every replaced point.

Not if it was just for a fan of goods sidings, where they would be most wanted anyway.
But yes I suppose that general complexity is why some nice live frog points (for their time) were dropped by Hornby Dublo and Meccano Hornby Acho.
15" radius too, which is now passé apart from special purposes.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
b308

Post by b308 »

flying scotsman123 wrote:Flexipoints sounds good in theory, although I'm struggling to work out how you could actually buy a set of points that you can bend usefully without things not lining up. Even on the real railway they used to construct a point in the yard then take it apart and put it back together, rather than having a kit of generic bits that they used all the time onsite. I suspect the closest we'll get is what we have now - it's called hand-built track!
You are right of course, though on the real thing each individual point is unique, but I just thought that I'd throw it into the mix! I feel it's a shame that OO and N modelling is so stuck around the "set" points that we have to all use which can give an impression of a railway but is too regimented because we are forced to use set points...

OK, points that are flexible (Tillig do some in HOe so it can be done!) but Peco don't do any... So we are not forced into the set curves scenario again!

How about Peco producing some OO scale sleepered points to match their new OO track? Anything that gets us away from using HO sleepered track for OO models!! ;)
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

b308 wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:
How about Peco producing some OO scale sleepered points to match their new OO track? Anything that gets us away from using HO sleepered track for OO models!! ;)
That I can totally agree with! Interesting about tillig, will have to find some and have a look.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
b308

Post by b308 »

I used to have some HOe ones, their SG may do the same thing... They wouldn't bend much but a little so you didn't just have straight points! Worked ok as well, though were a bit delicate!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You can bend Peco large radius points (code 100 or 75), by slitting through the connecting webs of the track base in a similar pattern to flexi track. But this is a gentle curvature only, just 2 or 3 degrees max. over the length of the point's straight route. Small change, but it does eliminate the uniformity.

I'll be doing this if Peco get around to matching points for their better OO track, if Peco themselves have not made provision for it.