Peco Tracksetta

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
AdamH1990

Peco Tracksetta

Postby AdamH1990 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 am

Hello
I am re building my layout, and I intend to get the track layed a lot better than it was, for the curves, im looking for 2nd-3rd-4th radius, I need help with knowing what tracksetta to use, I have seen these on some layouts and the curves look good, but smooth also! but what tracksetta there are so many to use, 1 more thing before i forget, What is the longest straight tracksetta also? I have lost my measuring tape, I do intend to get one tuesday but for now could anyone advise me this please?
Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Adam
thanks Adam, my layout thread below

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... highlight=

luckymucklebackit

Re: Peco Tracksetta

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 am

Once you buy your tape measure, get a bit of thin wood and insert a nail through one end, then measure from this pivot point to the required radii, at these points drill a hole through the wood and use a pencil to mark out the radius.

Mine has a post as sometimes the centre of the radius is off the edge of the board.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:22 am

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/10004 ... dlist.aspx

For OO scale, search N for the others.

They are useful if you are not keen on doing it "freehand" like Jim and I. The straight is quite short, though any 12", 2ft or 3ft steel rules laid against the outside or the rail will do the same thing for straight track.

As regards radii, you need to check the track manufacturer's website for the radii of 2nd, 3rd, etc and compare with that link above, though I doubt they'd be identical.

The whole point of tracksettas or the method Jim describe is to allow you to get away from the RTR radii to do something which looks better...

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:59 am

If you are going to be down to 2nd, 3rd, 4th radii in places, using the fixed curves for these is, I suggest easier and liable to be smoother than trying to do the same in flexitrack.
The curves can be taken through transitions so a section that needs R2 equivalent should have short sections of R3 and R4 tapering the curve into a straight section, probably with flexitrack providing that last transition.
(fix the curved end of the flexitrack first and well before bringing the rest round to the straight, rather than laying a length of straight and trying to bend the end to good alignment. That's more likely to leave a jump in angle at the join.)
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:01 pm

There is a cheaper way for the straight track go to B&Q and buy a length of 15mm x 2 mm steel flat this is approx. 1 mtr long and fits between the rails.
This will keep the track nice and straight, but don't forget to remove it from between the rails before switching on the power :oops: it makes the red light flash on my power cab! :!:
Tim
aka Forfarian

Return to “Track/Layout Design”