A Special Train

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
glencairn

A Special Train

Postby glencairn » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Hello boys and girls. A Special Train on its way to Glencairn today.
SAM_0481.JPG
SAM_0481.JPG (66.91 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

castlespitfire

Re: A Special Train

Postby castlespitfire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:30 pm

SWMBO would have loved that. She found on ebay a North pole express train set consisting of loco, tender, box car, and guards van. She thought it was 00 gauge from the picture in the listing but when it arrived it was G gauge and took up half the lounge. We need a bigger house. LOL.
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Grandson saw it a couple of years ago in a store. OO Gauge, battery operated. It has another coach but one of the wheels has broken. Should be repaired for next year :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:06 pm

castlespitfire wrote:SWMBO would have loved that. She found on ebay a North pole express train set consisting of loco, tender, box car, and guards van. She thought it was 00 gauge from the picture in the listing but when it arrived it was G gauge and took up half the lounge. We need a bigger house. LOL.

Some of these sets are very odd gauges, 50mm, 40mm, 20mm. Anything definitive on the box is a boon.
Same thing for quality: good and bad surprises abound in G scale at least It's a gamble.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:43 pm

The Mrs. decided that as I like trains that she would go the whole hog and buy me one for Christmas. I had hinted that a 64xx in either GWR or early BR livery would be rather splendid (and also reasonably priced). Instead she went to a local garden centre and came back with a huge box which she wrapped in fifteen acres of redundant rain forest and placed under the tree. It sat there tormenting me for several days before the big day itself when I was obliged to remove the packaging and pretend to like it. It was some kind of cheap and nasty "Santa Claus Express" of the type commonly sold in garden centres along with the usual Christmas tat - decorations, coloured lights and model villages that light up and play "Jingle Bells" so that you want to kill the dog with a hammer. You know the sort of thing.

Anyway after a few days I was obliged to assemble the brute and attempt to run it. The track took up the entirety of the kitchen floor and the train itself consisted of a locomotive with realistical (sic) loco sound and glowing headlight. There was also a tender with "Santa Claus" on a crookedly applied sticker, some kind of wagon and a coach which could have passed for the hearse of a deceased East European dictator. None of the couplings matched and I was obliged to use a mixture of sticky tape, brute force and ignorance to render some sort of order to the thing. Then I was obliged to remove the bloody loco from the train as the power switch was on the bottom. It sat there and made a juddering sound before moving two feet and then sat down again. I poked it a bit with my foot and it obstinately went into some kind of locomotive sulk and refused to move any more.

I put the whole lot back into its box (quite and operation as there seemed to be almost as much packaging as train) with the intention of returning it to the seller for a refund. Mrs. Boxcar was optimistic that they might be able to replace it with a working one; I was optimistic that they wouldn't. They did offer me a replacement but I opted for a credit note instead - that's the way the law works here and a cash refund is only an option when all else has failed. I'm happy enough with a credit note anyway as I do a bit of gardening and intend to spend the money on a new strimmer.

Two messages here folks - don't let your wife buy you anything train related as they often just don't get the point - it's not about playing with trains, it's about the modelling, the art, the engineering, the social history...not always just the trains.

Also don't buy trains in a shop more geared toward selling wheelbarrows. You would't go into Hatton's looking for a wheelbarrow.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”