Future Competition

Vote and comment on New Railway Modellers Competitions.
Bufferstop

Future Competition

Post by Bufferstop »

Alex and (everyone else) I've just been reading Hairyhandedfool's thread where he constructed a small baseboard from paper and card. http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=48808. How about an unusual baseboard copetition?, Say up to 600mm x 450mm. The more unusual the better, to support moving train plus some scenery. ie. a working diorama on a novel base, the greater the novelty the better. Christmas always generates loads of disposable packing, spotting its potential as a baseboard being the first step.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Admin4

Re: Future Competition

Post by Admin4 »

Its a good idea - interesting to! i wonder however if limiting it to baseboards would limit the appeal? perhaps a general 'who can make the coolest thing out of left over packaging from xmas'?

obviously it would need to be relevant to the hobby :lol:
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Good for serial layout builders - but not my cup of tea - but will appeal to plenty of others I'm sure.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

A nice idea Bufferstop. Like Parknd, I would say this wasn't my cup of tea - preferring slow progress on my main layout. However, in the few minutes of reading this thread, I am already thinking of potential packing items from my sons birthday party. There is bound to be similar left over from Christmas.

I'm always up for a challenge - you can count me in. :D

Paul
End2end

Post by End2end »

alex3410 wrote: 'who can make the coolest thing out of left over packaging from xmas'?
Full scale rubbish heap? :lol: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

As we have not had a Competition Build this year. Is any one interested in entering a model, in say February, on the same lines as 2015?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Yup. 8)

Paul
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I think the competition idea is brilliant, but sadly I can't get my pictures to smallerise to put them in here if I did enter. I would love watching what you guys build though.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

It's a good idea, I have to much layout stuff to do to take on a project but will enjoy watching what others get up to :D

@mountain - if you upload your images to flicker they auto resize them & give you the bbcode to post them on here
End2end

Post by End2end »

Mountain wrote:I think the competition idea is brilliant, but sadly I can't get my pictures to smallerise to put them in here if I did enter. I would love watching what you guys build though.
I take the lazy man's "route" (there goes one of my puns again :lol: ).

Right click on picture on your computer and choose "OPEN WITH" and in the next drop down click on "PAINT"
Picture will open in the paint program.
Press Ctrl + W. A box will appear giving you changable dimensions named "STRETCH AND SKEW"
paintbox.JPG
paintbox.JPG (16.32 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
I usually just add a % number in the first box and the same number in the second box in the STRETCH portion of the STRETCH AND SKEW window.
My pictures from my camera are massive (4608x3456) so I first use 50% and 50% in the boxes.
This way it makes the picture small enough for me to then use the square/box tool to highlight and copy out the part of the picture I want.

If you've done it this way then you need to press Ctrl+N for a new canvas. It will ask you if you want to save the previous picture. Click NO.

Once the new blank canvas appears grab the lower right hand corner of the canvas and pull it up diagonally LEFT to make the canvas very small. Even smaller than the picture you are going to copy onto it. The canvas will change size automatically to the size of the picture copied onto it. Then press Ctrl+V to paste the copied picture onto it. Then save this new picture.

If I want the whole picture not a cutout part I use 20% and 20% in the 2 boxes making it small enough to just go ahead and save it under a new name.

This is only on a windows pc. Don't forget to save as another filename or you'll overwrite the original.
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end

Edit: As for the competition, my layout is so small I think I've built everything I need except maybe a coal staithe or cattle dock so I'll think on it.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Dreadfully sorry. I should have explained in more detail.. I'm on a tablet. Actually this is my mums as mine stopped working. This one does not have the option to make pictures smaller. It can crop but tried this right down to a tiny size, but it does not like it when I try to upload them.
Thank you so much for the information you put.
(Puzzled me a bit when you said "Right click").
This is a budget tablet which cost £35 new so maybe it is a simplified version.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I'm sure it will help others viewing the post who have had a PC so everything is useful.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Mountain, what operating system are you using on your tablet? I have an iPad and have used the Simple Resize app to crop pictures to suit the websites requirements. This app is also available on Android and there is a Windows version too. Check out your App Store on your device and you may come up with something.

Alternatively, you could install an app such as Photobucket where your photos are stored on their site and then you copy a link across to this site and it resizes automatically. I think someone may have mentioned similar services before.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Mountain if you only have access via the tablet, store a copy of your photos on Photobucket.com. It has all the tools you need to resize your cameras huge files. In fact it will resize them all to the size you choose and provide you an [IMG] tag to copy into your post, you can do similar on Flickr and other photo hosting sites.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Photo bucket sounds a goop plan. I did try it but without success. I think one needs fast internet. Only one site so far I've had success with photos, but only when the internet picks up in the better weather.
Will need to perservere I think.
The app to resize seems a good plan. I was a bit silly before as a cancelled the app store thingie while trying to stop the tablet crashing (Before I found how to clear cachies etc)