Hornby Railroad R3086 "Flying Scotsman"

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby Railroad R3086 "Flying Scotsman"

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:42 am

While they are on special clearance at most box shifters I had not given these locomotives a thought as I do not like the lack of cab glazing in most Railroad steam outline models (I can deal with the limited livery application). However, photographs of Rails 'inhouse' custom weathered models obviously shows cab glazing inplace. Photographs on other sites show a distinct lack of glazing. Now I am wondering if some production runs of R3086 actually came with glazing.

LittleSkink

Re: Hornby Railroad R3086 "Flying Scotsman"

Postby LittleSkink » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:37 am

I am pretty sure the one I saw at Olivias trains had a glazed front window, but I see in the photos on the Hattons website theirs has none

A quick google image search shows some unglazed and some not . . . curious

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:41 am

I would suggest going with unglazed as the expectation, unless a call or e-mail to the retailer confirms that glazing is present.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:04 pm

I recently purchased one and it does not have glazing fitted.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Could this be down to the fact there have been two railroad Flying Scotsman's?

I remember reading a couple of years ago that the tools for the first incarnation of the railroad Scotsman (when the railroad range was introduced) were no longer usable and the model was retooled. The tools themselves by that point must have been fairly old.

Perhaps one of these incarnations had glazing whilst the other did not.

A quick google search reveals these two distinctly differing railroad models:

I suspect the early version may have had glazing?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Hornby does not help by having their preproduction images showing details/livery which may or may not finish up on the production model and then issue a disclaimer on their site excusing the discrepancies between the preproduction and production models.

The first image shown is a Hornby 'catalogue/website' image (swivelling trailing truck. possibly a tender drive), while the second image looks like a dealer's website image (fixed Cartazzi truck, loco drive chassis) of an actual item for sale.

Some versions of 'Tornado' (not just the premium model) came with glazing fitted (a train set model) and it certainly lifts the look of the locomotive. I do not think that 'Flying Scotsman' has had glazing for a long time. The retooling of the loco was at the time it changed from tender drive to loco drive for the trainset versions (2009?????).

'Duke of Gloucester' broke the mould by being released as standard with glazing across all models. Hornby uses the premium (super detail) body tooling and the premium drive for its Railroad A4 and yet does not include glazing in the base version. The lack of glazing spoils what would have been a very nice model.

It is the lack of glazing that prevents me purchasing the Railroad range. If Hornby are able to tool up glazing for some models, why not have it across the range?

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 am

Their Railroad 9Fs all have glazing, Evening Star, 92221 & 92214 COTN...

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:54 pm

I have recently obtained a RR Scotsman via an offer on the Hornby site, and it's certainly fitted with cab glazing.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Geoff,
that is my quandary. Some base models have glazing and some do not. Similarly the Tornado. One trainset pack had glazing (the set with Pullman coaches from memory), but in the main, other than the premium model one did not get glazing. Odd that the same part number, the Scotsman may or may not have glazing.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:54 pm

Darned frustrating to find some do & some dont. I found a nicely detailed Scotty, £65 S/H & thought "Ooh, might be tempted" when I was in my local shop the other day.
It was perfect for me, lovely extra lining, banjo case dome, single chimney & apart from having a black nameplate, identical to the 1968 4472.
On closer inspection, it was a ruddy tender drive :roll:

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”