Slightly

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
peak

Slightly

Postby peak » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:35 pm

hi everyone.
I've got round to starting my thread at last.
If you would like to know more about me please see my profile etc.

"Slightly" will be my version of Saltly in Birmingham 1970s
it will be something like but not quite.

The layout is in a 22ft by 8ft shed in my back garden. Purpose built for it.

Progress will be slow due to funding being a bit thin!

The layout has 2 loops (inverted figure of eight) so I will be able to watch trains go by.
Trains will be blue diesels.
The shed area will be quite large so it will take a long time to fill!
As I want to run full length trains I decided not to build a station (whats that a layout without a station???)

Track work is well advanced on the loops, code 75 Peco track laid direct to the base boards (I like noise).

At the moment I have only one controller as I am going to go the dcc route. I have not decided on which system to use just yet. But I am thinking of the gaugemaster system, but would use the MRC version as it cost half the price even with shipping from the states.

I think thats enough chat for the moment. I will try to post some more piccs when I work out how to do them proply. I'm hopeing the one I have posted works.

regards

Andy

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:25 pm

all sounds good mate , good luck with it all , and that gradiant in the picture looks nice :) bet it would look better with a 2-6-2 large praire 8)

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:31 pm

Good start Andy. I think DCC is probably a good thing if you want to focus on shed operations.

Having said that I have a 4 road shed with 3 switched rail breaks on each road - 12 locos running on DC - works fine for me.

That wouldn't be 45114 by any chance would it ?
Ron

peak

Postby peak » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi Ron

yes it is 45114
The other loco is a very old hornby 47 (still with the paint lines down its sides) I use this as my test loco. If it goes over new trackwork anything else will. Its a horrible model but I've grown to love it???

regards

Andy

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:56 pm

Good stuff Andy. I wouldn't worry about a station. One of my favourite layouts was a WCML twin track loop called High Gill which was built solely to run full length Euston-Glasgow expresses!
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

waz

Postby waz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi Andy !!!

Good man!!! Good work !!! Good luck!!!

Best Regards

BILL.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:52 pm

waz wrote: Hi Andy !!!

Good man!!! Good work !!! Good luck!!!

Best Regards

BILL.

And good advice Bill!
" When in doubt, brew up"

You can tell Bill knows a thing or two, Andy :wink:

Oh and by the way, I know exactly what you mean about the Hornby 47. I came home pi**ed a few months ago and saw an old Hornby 37 on eBay. I wanted one of exactly the same model as a kid but just never got one, so I bought it (for a tenner!!!)

I regretted it the next morning as I'd never have done it sober but when I received it, opened the box and I ran it for the first time I realised I was more pleased than if I'd got a brand new one, 'cos she goes alright for an 'old girl' and the grumbling sound is lovely :wink:

It was for precisely this reason I then went and bought an old Lima Deltic 'Meld' (ah, the noise...) to replace one I 'let go' when I was a skint student. Accuracy shmaccuracy. I love MY engines :wink:

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

ClikC

Re: Slightly

Postby ClikC » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:19 pm

peak wrote:As I want to run full length trains I decided not to build a station (whats that a layout without a station???)

Fantastic idea for a layout.

Nothing wroong with not having a station, my MRC's new exhibition layout isn't going to have one, it's just a 2 track WR (LMR if I get hold of it) main line.

Matt
ImageImageImage

peak

Postby peak » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:15 pm

Hi every one thank you for the comments.
thought I'd post some more piccs for you all

At the moment my stock list is a little small. I have a 44, 24 and 25 but these are kept out of the cold in the house at present untill I get a controller and chips!
I also have 7 coaches as seen but no other stock.

You might be able to make out from the piccs that I am at the stage of painting rails and chairs in a loverly rust colour (humbrol 113) god does this take time?
I am also experimenting with balest, I will show the results as soon as I can, I might put a different loco on as well.
The gradients are approx 1 in 30 to 1in 40, the peak handles this with ease. However I have been getting the odd uncoupling and derailment. the solution so far has been the Bachmann close couplig system, I have also soldered a small nail to the first coach coupling to stop it bouncing out of the loco coupling which I have removed the clip(tang wotever) as it looks better. I dont have a coupling fitted to the front end.
I am also trying my hand at building walls.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Mitzibitzi

Postby Mitzibitzi » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Get that 40 and it's coaches covered in crap and rust and it would be be just like the Saturday morning 'Coast and Peaks' I used to catch from Manchester to Sheffield. Happy days. :)

I like the nice big radius on the curved viaduct, especially with a proper length train going over it. So much more appealing to the eye than a 2 coach set chasing it's tail round a 2nd radius oval.

If you're taking requests, I'd like to see your 25 pulling a bunch of rusted out 16T mineral wagons full of scrap metal. That was another regular Saturday morning feature round our way.

Think I might go and do some work on mine, now :)
What's that switch do? Oh! Is it supposed to smoke like that?

peak

Postby peak » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:45 pm

Thanks for the comments Mitzibitzi
I will get some piccs of the 25, but I dont have any goods wagons at all.
Any way good bye for now I off to teach a load of kids and grown ups a bit of Judo
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.

Regards

Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

waz

Postby waz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi Andy !!!

What l-o-v-e-l-y l-o-n-g straights!! And lovely long o-v-a-l-s. Will be a dream when finished.
No station? Now there is a thought. Also the incline looks great.
More food for thought on my part.

Best Regards

BILL.

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Hey andy, Those curve's just under 4-ft radius?

Big curves do look much better, classic case of "Looks Right because it Is right" prototypicalness (new word), I'm currantly trying to scorce a 10 to 12-ft wide shed about 24 foot long for my P4 layout.

Matt
ImageImageImage

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:01 pm

ClikC wrote:Hey andy, Those curve's just under 4-ft radius?

Big curves do look much better, classic case of "Looks Right because it Is right" prototypicalness (new word), I'm currantly trying to scorce a 10 to 12-ft wide shed about 24 foot long for my P4 layout.

Matt

Christ, that's tha same square footage as my entire garden Matt! :shock:

Hmm, guess who'll be warmer... :roll:

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:09 pm

Infrontcat wrote:
ClikC wrote:Hey andy, Those curve's just under 4-ft radius?

Matt

Christ, that's tha same square footage as my entire garden Matt! :shock:

Hmm, guess who'll be warmer... :roll:

I've become addicted to trying to gain prototypical curves, so I need a big space to build it in, and I lack a handy Barn....

Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze the shed into my garden, but those big shed's are SCARILY expensive. But to be honest, I can probley build one better than I can buy one, and cheaper to boot.

Anyhow I don't want this thread to go massively off tangent.

Matt
ImageImageImage

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”