Father/Son layout plans

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Stupar

Father/Son layout plans

Post by Stupar »

Thought I would share my layout designs so any eventualities that I may have missed before I start constructing.
The layout is based on a 6x4 board as it won't be a fixed layout. When not in use it will be stored in a cupboard.

As I have not incorporated a level crossing I plan to try and adapt a hillside road coming in over the tunnel to allow for some sort of diorama in the middle to accompany the internal sidings.

Any thoughts or suggestions or tips would be gratefully received as I don't want to mess it up.
Seth's Layout s.jpg
Seth's Layout s.jpg (157.7 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
snapshot s.jpg
snapshot s.jpg (167.14 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
jon_1066

Re: Father/Son layout plans

Post by jon_1066 »

Don't use R1 curves as it will limit what you can put on those sidings.

You can generate more space by having an island platform (use R4s on the outer line at the top.) Currently your platforms look very close to the track. This will help get the room for the R2's as well. Alternatively use a low relief platform for the outer line.

Instead of the siding layout you currently have you can generate more storage like this:
sidings.jpg
sidings.jpg (85.23 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
A 6 by 4 board with scenery on will be very heavy. Will you chop it into more manageable pieces to be joined together? If so you need to plan this carefully with the position of points

The long siding on the left leading to the two short sidings may be better utilised as a single long siding. This will let you store a longer train.
Stupar

Post by Stupar »

Thank you for your input Jon, much appreciated.
I don't have my original SCARM layout to hand buy I'm pretty sure my layout is 2nd and 3rd radius only.

There won't be any long trains on the layout. My concept is 80's/90's diesel with a mixture of class 26/31's and 09's and some light freight wagons.
Other than the tunnel any other scenery will be removable.
The plan is to keep the board as a single 6x4 (reinforced) sheet which will be wall cupboard stored when not in use.

I like your revised internal siding so will amend my plan to agree with that.

Happy to listen to any other thoughts re the layout if you feel I am missing something.
jon_1066

Post by jon_1066 »

The R1s are the two R604 bends on the bottom two sidings immediately off the points.
Stupar

Post by Stupar »

jon_1066 wrote:The R1s are the two R604 bends on the bottom two sidings immediately off the points.
Ah apologies, I keep forgetting about half track sections. Will switch them out too!

Cheers!
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Stupar wrote: There won't be any long trains on the layout. My concept is 80's/90's diesel with a mixture of class 26/31's and 09's and some light freight wagons.
I think that's a good plan. With this sort of layout, short trains are the way forward if 'tail chasing' is to be avoided. It's all too easy to get carried away and try to have big main line trains which look quite daft on a 6x4 layout. A 2 or 3-coach train or DMU would be right at home (and fit on the platform)

Looks like you've got a bit of space in the corners where the sidings are for a suggestion of an industrial site of some description too.
Stupar

Post by Stupar »

Thanks Pete,
I'm a diesel freight junkie at heart and love the thought of of engine sheds and old weathered locos.
Might squeeze one DMU though.
Quite fancy a bachmann class 158 in scotrail livery :D
Stupar

Post by Stupar »

Ok after some advice from you good people, I have tweaked my layout slightly. Importantly i have reset the internal sidings as suggested but i have also flipped them in the other direction to create more diorama space between them and the tunnel.
The plan is still to try and mould a road coming in over the tunnel leading to the sidings to give some outside context.

further thoughts are very welcome!
snapshot.jpg
snapshot.jpg (244.89 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Seth's Layout 2.jpg
Seth's Layout 2.jpg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
jon_1066

Post by jon_1066 »

Your sidings will be easier to shunt that way as well since they will be on a trailing point now. It is normal to drive on the left so your inner loop would normally operate anti-clockwise. Swapping the sidings means the loco won't have to run around to shunt them.
Stupar

Post by Stupar »

OK bit of a problem.
Due to not having personal transport and not willing to pay extortionate delivery charges for a sheet of plywood I'm going to struggle to get a single sheet of 6x4 plywood for my layout.
Is there any reason to suggest that 3 4x2 boards secures to a timber frame will be any less rigid/secure than a single sheet of ply?
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

That should be fine. Position the framing beneath such that there's a batten beneath the joint in the boards- so that the edges of the board are supported for their whole length.
Stupar

Post by Stupar »

pete12345 wrote:That should be fine. Position the framing beneath such that there's a batten beneath the joint in the boards- so that the edges of the board are supported for their whole length.
Thanks Pete!
triuph1050

Post by triuph1050 »

Getting back into the hobby, with DCC, I quite liked this layout but I'm not sure if it's a bit tight at 6x4, so have got a base board of 7x4 coming as that's all the room I can go for. Also amended the plan as all I want are engine sheds and sidings for modern era. I got rid of the station and at the bottom added a section of track to increase working on the bottom and side section. Also may cover the top right area of the layout. All Hornby setback and Rad 3 and 2 curves only running class 66, 67, 68 couple of class 08's and the preserved Flying Scotsman with support carriage for now, Any made up train will be pulling a few "Seacow" ballast wagons, just for interest. With steam and diesel sound this will be one "noisy" layout

Image20180724_110407_HDR by peter, on Flickr