Seaton Junction

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
markS&D

Seaton Junction locomotives cont

Post by markS&D »

'35028 Clan Line', basically the same mods as '35026'
35028.jpg
'35002 Union Castle' all the same enhancements that have been applied to the other 'MN's', this model started life as 'United States Lines', the 5100 gallon series 2 tender has been modified to a 5000 gallon series 1.
350021.jpg
350022.JPG
'Triang class 101' basically a bit of nostalgia, the model has been close coupled, the bogies have all been re-wheeled, exhaust pipes added to the power car.
DMU.jpg
rogACE

Re: Seaton Junction

Post by rogACE »

markS&D wrote:Very interesting reading, it appears that express trains through "Seaton Junction" were allowed to go as fast as they liked, although I did see an ex SR steam driver on a program about "Clan Line" say that 90mph was the official maximum.
the line was a constant descent down to axminster with no speed limit as such and non-stop expresses would race through AXM to gather momentum for the long climb ahead after seaton junction up the infamous 1/70 honiton bank incline - there was a small remote signal box on the incline plus 2 sidings for stalled trains to reverse into
a camping coach i think was stabled at Colyford

i grew up down there from late 50's on many holidays by train down from waterloo on the 'ACE' to seaton Beer and Dandy bay nr exmouth until then warships took over and the through trains era were finished with by 1965

any questions about the line and operation please just holler!
i left a message on youtube for you too - would love to run my up and down devon belles on your layout!

ps you might like this little short story i wrote ''under the clock at 10.30''

https://locoyard.com/2014/09/05/the-atl ... -years-on/

cheers roger
BULLEID IS BEST,
any help with modelling OO seaton Jct. exeter central or bournemouth west post-war br/sr steam would be cool, thanks!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Triang class 101' basically a bit of nostalgia,
Nowt wrong with a bit of nostalgia, it wasn't a bad model for its time. Treat it to some Flushglaze windows SE Finecast list it as R157 DMU. Seem to remember it came with a diesel rumble courtesy of the original knurled drive wheels.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

rogACE wrote:
markS&D wrote:Very interesting reading, it appears that express trains through "Seaton Junction" were allowed to go as fast as they liked, although I did see an ex SR steam driver on a program about "Clan Line" say that 90mph was the official maximum.
the line was a constant descent down to axminster with no speed limit as such and non-stop expresses would race through AXM to gather momentum for the long climb ahead after seaton junction up the infamous 1/70 honiton bank incline - there was a small remote signal box on the incline plus 2 sidings for stalled trains to reverse into
a camping coach i think was stabled at Colyford

i grew up down there from late 50's on many holidays by train down from waterloo on the 'ACE' to seaton Beer and Dandy bay nr exmouth until then warships took over and the through trains era were finished with by 1965

any questions about the line and operation please just holler!
i left a message on youtube for you too - would love to run my up and down devon belles on your layout!

ps you might like this little short story i wrote ''under the clock at 10.30''

https://locoyard.com/2014/09/05/the-atl ... -years-on/

cheers roger
Makes for very interesting reading, thanks for that. Some clips of that video of "35016" on the ACE, I have seen before, on a BBC programme in the late 80's "The Train Now Departing".

The scenery is mostly done, although I have made some alterations just recently to the area near the milk depot, to make it look more accurate. I did post another video of the layout more recently (if you haven't seen it already):

https://youtu.be/6g_GASsXI_k

I also have a separate scenic section under construction, which will be the Eastern approach and the entrance to "Honiton Tunnel", This is separated from Seaton Junction by a scenic break.
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Its been a while since I posted any updates on the layout, here are a couple of shots of the nearly completed eastern end of 'Honiton tunnel' section. The tunnel is a wooden framework, with removable black inner liner, the tunnel mouth is made from 2mm thick mounting card, with the brick paper downloaded from scalescenes, not the best quality pictures, I took them with my mobile phone, seems to be how we do things these days!
WP_20180520_20_22_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20180520_20_25_01_Pro.jpg
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Question about Milk Trains.

On my quest to try and recreate Seaton Junction, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how Milk tank Trains were operated at Seaton Junction? I currently only have 8 six wheel tankers, although I am looking to purchase more as funds allow.

So my questions are, some may seem silly!

The average number of tankers per train?
What trains where they attached to?
What was the formation of these train?
Did milk tankers ever run as 1 long train with no other stock apart from a guards van, or did they usually get attached to passenger trains?
How often were milk tankers dispatched from Seaton Junction?

Any help is appreciated.
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Bit of an update, its been a while. Various enhancements have been made to the station, and the surrounding scenery, the 'Shute Arms Hotel' is my latest project. I will let the pictures tell the story...
WP_20181013_19_42_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20181013_19_16_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20181013_19_24_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20181013_19_31_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20181013_19_10_32_Pro.jpg
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

A couple more, one of which shows the 'Shute Arms Hotel' under construction.
WP_20181013_19_46_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20181013_19_59_46_Pro.jpg
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Another locomotive detailing exercise. Merchant Navy Class 35016 Elders Fyffes.

My first task with all of the Hornby rebuilt merchant navy loco's, is to alter the ride height of the loco body. On every example that I have seen, the loco body sits too high at the cab end of the loco, this example was no different. Basically my fix involves unscrewing the rear motor retainer, and filing the loco chassis down a little at the rear end, so that the 2 rear projecting lugs that hold the body on sit level. This lowers the rear of the body enough so that the loco is nice and level, and matches up with the tender cab roof.
I have coupled the loco and tender closer together, by drilling another hole in the drawbar, at the loco end. Next I have purchased additional detailing parts from RT models. Cast metal ashpans, cylinder drain cocks, correct pattern vacuam cylinder cover for the tender, screw couplings, and when I have finished headcode discs, and the loco - tender weather screen. And as a finishing touch, all wheels blackened, and some light weathering.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

:o looks great after the modifications! I imagine theyre deliberately manufactured with the cab roof too high and the tender further away to allow the loco to navigate train set curves. The detailing just adds to it. Really very impressive.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Lovely to see the Triang DMU.
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Just thought I would give an update on the Shute Arms Hotel, mostly complete, apart from the ornate chimney on the front end of the building, the large 'SHUTE ARMS HOTEL' sign that sits on the brickwork and chimney pots need adding to the other chimneys. Once complete, I need to start work on the hotel stables. Far from perfect by any means, but I think it looks something like the real thing.

WP_20181123_21_23_58_Pro.jpg
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Lovely piece of modelling, if you are looking for chimneys, Peedie models are good for the different chimney designs

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

Fantastic work. You must be happy with that. Will be great to see it in place on the layout!
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

joshv8 wrote:Fantastic work. You must be happy with that. Will be great to see it in place on the layout!
Thank you, appreciate the comments.

Once the stable building is finished, I will finally be able to remove the superquick railway hotel building, that I have had stood on the site where the Shute arms hotel should be for the last 2 years!

Regarding the Merchant Navy models, this brings my stock up to 4 examples of the class. I would really like Hornby to revisit this model (they have recently re-done the Duchess/City), and produce some examples from the 1st series with the BR rebodied 5250 gallon tenders.

Here is a photo of the latest Rebuilt MN model, which illustrates my point about the loco body sitting too high at the rear end:
R3566-1512672645.jpg