St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post by End2end »

Standing or lying flat doing sod all is the theme for this week due to my back.
Trying to get up from a seated position is just too painful still so I've been on my feet for hours each day.
I've managed to do a little more ballasting and dry brush it to match with the other ballast, made a paved area for a small hut in the sidings and stuck both down and also created another point motor cover to hide 2 side by side point motors.

The point motor cover is made from balsa wood with ends made from cut down Linka tiles. There are cut down matchsticks glued in behind the Linka ends to add support as well as a beam of wood running underneath the length of the cover to support the top.
The Linka ends are painted in my usual fashion of grey spray paint for an undercoat followed by BISCUIT CRUNCH watered down for the mortar and successive layers of dry brushed paints on top.

Before painting the balsa was aged with a wire brush to give some grain detail (to be picked up by later stages of paint).
Lines were scribed into the balsa surface with a pair of compasses, then filled with a black wash to add depth.
The top was then dry brushed with brown so as NOT to get the brown paint into the scribed black painted lines.
Once the brown dry, light grey was dry brushed on to pick out the grain created by previously using the wire brush

I think it looks bland and could do with some thing extra on top but I'm not sure what????....
Any ideas?

Here's some pictures.
A 'from the end' shot.
TPMC2sm.jpg
Looking at the underside you can see the beam. Painted BLACK not brown. The beam sits in between the point motors so needed to be darker and not stand out.
You can also see a lovely mess of UHU at each end where the match sticks are glued. :lol:
TPMC3sm.jpg
The 2 tracks either side of the point motor cover are dead end sidings. The width of the cover had to be narrow enough for any trains using the points not to collide with it.
TPMC4sm.jpg
2 final shots with rolling stock.
TPMC5sm.jpg
TPMC6sm.jpg
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:01 pm ...I think it looks bland and could do with some thing extra on top but I'm not sure what?...
Filth is good, always plenty of that on the railway.

You could put notices on it on posts: Engineers Dept. SABD Project.. Add steps at one end with a railing, and a hatch in the middle of the deck with railings at the sides so that no one falls off when they come to collect the SABD data.

Squealing Axle Bearing Detector
End2end

Post by End2end »

Some great ideas there Bigmet. Keep them coming. :)

I'm not sure what "SABD" means though?
Would that be something that would be placed along the main line rather than in between 2 dead end sidings?
Could you possibly elaborate please?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It's strictly tongue in cheek, and the explanation is 'hidden' in the pale strip bottom left of that post, just highlight it. It doesn't matter what it is really, just has to look like there's a reason for it being there.
End2end

Post by End2end »

The irony of that Bigmet is I do actually have a coach with a squealing axle. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Phred

Post by Phred »

Nice work. :)
I'm surprised you could achieve anything with your back! When I've got a bad back I'm just a bundle of misery.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks Phred. :)
I needed to be able to do something, anything, without being able to sit down as that's where I am in most pain.
Although only a small project it was always going to come to fruition. Those surface mount point motors are UGLY! :lol:
Still thinking about what to add to it rather than just leaving it plain.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Phred

Post by Phred »

End2end wrote:
Still thinking about what to add to it rather than just leaving it plain.
My default solution is to heap junk around by way of disguise/adding interest. Piles of ballast, wooden planks, etc. Maybe some vegetation? I can't really say as the landscaping on my layout is...well, non-existent really.
heda

Post by heda »

I'm thinking on similair lines to Bigmet, whatever it is it's there for a reason.
Steps or ladder at one or both ends, a railing along one side, a sign of some description (to small to read), some shrubbery on the viewing side to disguise the point motors. Maybe paint the side of the point motors green first to help blend in with the weed growth.
I would think (hope) it's not something that will stand out once the board is landscaped.
Hope this helps.
Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Another thought, add some planking, either thin balsa or download and print weathered planks, fix to the motors with double sided tape, minimal thickness. A cut out for the points lever, add some weeds along the bottom.
I hope my rough sketch makes sense.
Dave

End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for all your suggestions so far chaps. :)
It measures a scale 5 foot across. Not very wide.
I like the steps/ladder idea and possible a small stack of sleepers.
In my mind, I don't think vegetation would suit as these sidings run close and parallel to the main lines and thus the weedkiller man would be keeping the place free of flora and fauna.
I'm not sure about railings as where this is placed it would be used by both sides.

Still thinking on it / giving it a coat of looking at, but anymore suggestions welcomed. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Phred

Post by Phred »

End2end wrote:
giving it a coat of looking at
:lol:
heda

Post by heda »

Not sure if this is any help but to coin a phrase ' I saw this and thought of you'.
Taken at Paignton steam railway station.
Dave

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The alternative would have been to find a water tank with a longer column, there's not many places you can go to buy one of them! :o I've seen the opposite done but I can't remember which heritage line it was on. They obviously had one that had been free standing, so the cut away a chunk of platform so it could stand on the ground.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Phred

Post by Phred »

heda wrote:
Not sure if this is any help but to coin a phrase ' I saw this and thought of you'.
I reckon that would fit over End2end's point motor cover nicely and look impressive as well. 8)