Bachmann Class 47 Derailing

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
DJTOMS

Bachmann Class 47 Derailing

Post by DJTOMS »

I recently purchased a new Bachmann Class 47.

I don't have this problem with any other locomotive, however the Class 47 derails at almost every point. Additionally on most curves one of the bogies seems to jump the tracks. The tightest curve is a Hornby 2nd Ratio (R607) so it should be alright on this according the Bachmann's website.

The bogies seem to be loose and don't have a full and free movement as they impinge on the chassis (the plastic pieces at either end of the locomotive) I can upload a short video if required.

Any help would be great.
Bigmet

Re: Bachmann Class 47 Derailing

Post by Bigmet »

Put the loco on a level surface - a plate glass mirror is good if you have one.

Are all the flanges in contact? Check both bogies to if there is any see-saw effect on the centre wheelset of the bogie.

Do both bogies turn left and right far enough for 2nd radius without any obstruction or catching?

Any problems here are pretty fundamental and need to be fixed before looking at anything else.

Compare the back to back of the wheelsets with one of your good locos that is completely reliable.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Do you have any added pilot beam detail restricting the swing of the bogie. Remove the NEM coupler and try through the points and curves to determine if the coupler is catching, causing the derailment.
DJTOMS

Post by DJTOMS »

HI

All the flanges are in contact. I have removed the coupling but no difference. The front bogey has little left/right travel and seems to catch on parts of the body.

The rear bogey seems to have better travel than the front. The same issue occurs on large radios curves as well.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

At this point it is up to you on the 'what next?' question.

It's a new purchase, and if it is mechanically unable to go through set track curvature, then it is clearly 'unfit for purpose' as the product is sold explicitly to be operable on set track. You can return it to the retailer for refund, replacement or adjustment.

The alternative is to be prepared to do the work yourself, which will likely mean some dismantling to find out what is restricting the bogie swing. Can be something very simple like a caught wire acting as a tether on the bogie. Go that route and if you find you then cannot fix it and then want to return it, the retailer is likely to be somewhat sceptical about the claimed problem cause.

I have no idea what your level of mechanical competence is, so my cautious advice is: return to retailer, unless you are completely confident in your own ability to fix it.
james2k

Post by james2k »

The way I personally find out what is causing a derailment is to :-

Get the loco going at a very slow speed. Slow enough so that you can watch the wheels like a hawk.

I found a gap in my track was derailing a class 66. That was on a flexi track curve. Filled it with solder and jobs a gooden.

I also had a poroblem with a point. Using the same method I realised that the point was not throwing sufficiently to allow a smooth running over.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

james2k wrote:The way I personally find out what is causing a derailment is to :-

Get the loco going at a very slow speed. Slow enough so that you can watch the wheels like a hawk.

I found a gap in my track was derailing a class 66. That was on a flexi track curve. Filled it with solder and jobs a gooden.
I had the same problem with a couple of my locos. I also found it was the track. A quick remedy and all is well :)
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
davidphilipstafford

Post by davidphilipstafford »

I had the same problem which was being caused by mild imperfections in the track resulting in slight rocking on the bogie where the middle wheel was reducing the pressure on the front and hey presto a derailment mainly on corners. In all honesty it doesn't affect any other trains I own and Bachmann print a cautionary note about tight curves.
The cure drastic though it is is to remove [grind off ] the flanges from the centre wheels allowing the bogey to have weight on the front and rear set at all times. the train now happily tracks and to all outward appearances looks unchanged. As an added bonus will now take extremely tight curves with ease