Dapol GWR DMU railmotor

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
swiftbeam

Re: Dapol GWR DMU railmotor

Post by swiftbeam »

D605Eagle wrote:Now thats what Dapol should have done in the first place, and IMO would have justified its price too.
I totally agree. The inside of the Railcar is a horrible, lazy, way out dated way of manufacturing a model! There is no way it needs a huge motor for what is a single car unit. A flat printed floor and separately fitted printed seats would have been a 'game changer'. There are very few parts in this model and a handful of separate seats could have been done at this retail price!

But hey, mine don't look too bad now :wink:
Thanks.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Actually, that's really rather nice.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

swiftbeam wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:Now thats what Dapol should have done in the first place, and IMO would have justified its price too.
I totally agree. The inside of the Railcar is a horrible, lazy, way out dated way of manufacturing a model! There is no way it needs a huge motor for what is a single car unit. A flat printed floor and separately fitted printed seats would have been a 'game changer'. There are very few parts in this model and a handful of separate seats could have been done at this retail price!

But hey, mine don't look too bad now :wink:
Thanks.
What you have done is changed it from what looks like a slightly updated Lima railcar standard to a class leading work of art. I'm impressed.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Raising the thread from the past but I have recently received the sound fitted version and have been having issues with distortion and cutting out of sound, it’s been back to Dapol twice so far but the last time they said they could find nothing wrong so I gave up and decided to investigate myself, this is posted as a warning to anyone who has this same machine, the quality of the wiring to the speakers is abysmal being just twisted into the speaker connections, and frighteningly close with frayed wires touching or close to,touching each other and I fear this has already damaged the chip on my particular model giving distorted sound.
[img]
FDD494C9-E8BF-4FBE-9C0B-E7B5691E86A8.jpeg
[/img]
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

There was a great big brown wooden lump in the cabin of some of the GWR railcars, a pre assembled toilet compartment. It stood alongside one of the doors in front of the double skin window that was the sliding door pocket, so there was no frosted glass window. Dapol have put it in the right place, but you would have to check which numbers had it, as the ones that ran on the B'ham-Swansea route (No4 was one) had two cubicles forming a short central corridor through to the mini-bar and guards compartment. Up to No18 they were almost all one offs with detail differences, either in mechanical equipment or body work.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
InFullSteam

Post by InFullSteam »

Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The shirtbutton is deeply, deeply unpopular.

I love this kind of stuff, there are other trivial livery differences that make a world of difference in asking price: the ones I lurve are 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' and the BR early crest, often referred to as 'lion on a unicycle'. 15 minutes work at most to replace with a couple of transfers if desired. Just had a s/h loco in perfect condition delivered, half the usual s/h asking price, it has the unpopular BR early crest. I'll do a little work for a third of the last listed retail price...