Dapol GWR DMU railmotor

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
mjb1961

Re: Dapol GWR DMU railmotor

Post by mjb1961 »

Lysander wrote:Almost right. Dapol have used the position of the lavatory to raise the moulding to cover the motor and flywheel.

From the non-lavatory side

From the other side

The second shot shows the relative height of the bulge to the seats. Painting the glazing - rather than the full-height bit of the moulding - off white would help greatly and I may well do it when I have decided how much to modify the interior.

Tony
Hi Lysander,,,,I've bought number 8 and was wondering what decoder would be most suitable,,,would a direct plug in fit or does it have to be a decoder with a harness ,,,,,thanks mjb
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Apologies mjb - I cannot help you with that as I do not run with DCC. probably the best place to look for advice is on RMWeb, where there has been quite a discussion about decoders.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... d-railcar/

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Painting the glazing - rather than the full-height bit of the moulding - off white
The photographs of number 10,11 and 12 Show that window to be clear with a separate solid partition to the back of the cubicle, The door pocket is between the cubicle back and the outside skin of the body. I have a photo of the opposite door pocket with a seat next to it, if you want to see what is behind the cubicle.
I doubt it's possible to find out now, but I'd be interested to know if these three retained the lavatory compartment for the whole of their lives, or were they later modified to be like the rest of the batch. The only fully streamlined survivor is number 4 which has two lavatory compartments towards one end and the mini buffet.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I agree. I have now managed to acquire via Amazon a near-mint ex-reference library copy of Judge's 'The History of the Great Western A.E.C. Diesel Railcars' [£13 - very good value]. It's hugely detailed and covers the lot with profuse photographs: an excellent book.

On No11, the drawing confirms a very slightly left-of-centre driver's seat with an adjacent tip-up seat on the far right. Photographs of the interior of No12 show seats upholstered in a large tartan-pattern moquette and the floor in the aisle appears to be carpeted. Colours can not be determined for either. The lavatory compartment in the vestibule has no natural light and so must have been illuminated electrically.

It is clear that the windows are also fitted with roller blinds which retract quite neatly when not in use, barely noticeably.

I've not yet found any cab detailing however.

The book has a photograph of W10 on Oxford Shed '...in the 50's...' with the lavatory compartment still in situ. Of course, 'in situ' might not equate with 'in use' though.

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

[£13 - very good value]
Darned good value, mine's a £25 modern reprint, via a book club :cry: It's a shame that by the fifties when colour film was starting to be more readily available, all the interest was being focused on steam.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Worth checking the Colour-Rail collection to see what may be available. There are published colour pictures of railcar no 7 still in full GWR livery in about 1950, and another in the late fifties of no 22 in BR's DMU green, and where there's one it is always possible there are more. Interiors in colour would be difficult though, the good colour films - good enough to give a decently accurate rendering - were very slow, needed full sunlight for the best results. In an interior, the contrast ratio between directly sunlit and shadow would make a photo very chancy. The portable flashgun was still some years away, and flashcubes were really best kept for monochrome; so most photographers wouldn't waste an exposure on a very uncertain result.

Contra 'all the interest was being focussed on steam' there's amateur colour pictures of just about all the non-steam locomotives working on what became BR post WWII and into the 1950s. The LMS and Bulleid diesels, Fell, BTH 10800, the three gas turbines, DP1. There's just one decent colour picture of a Stanier 8F during the Big Four period...
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi Lysander ,,,THANKYOU for the link ,I found the topic very helpful,,,mjb
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

Hi Guys,

I was posting on another forum about the Dapol Railcar, but...

So I will show you what I did here :D

I was having problems with my Railcar hunting. After MUCH hunting, I tracked the problem down to the gears in the bogie being too sloppy, so I replaced the whole drive train with a Black Beetle bogie. Now I have a full interior as well and the model runs well. My whole story can be seen from about page 23 'over there' if anybody wants to read it.
IMG_4174.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

I was able to fill in all the motor bulge and remodel the seats. It has been all repainted, doors and people fitted. As soon as I can work out how to reduce the size of my pictures so I can post, I will show the new interior .
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

I've since put a piece of buff paper in the toilet window, looks better.
IMG_4352.jpg
IMG_4352.jpg (15.59 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
IMG_4351.jpg
IMG_4351.jpg (12.24 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
IMG_4350.jpg
IMG_4350.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
IMG_4349.jpg
IMG_4349.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
IMG_4348 4.jpg
IMG_4348 4.jpg (10.42 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

The man reading the paper is a particularly nice touch there. Who produced the figures you are using?

Paul
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

Hi, They are a selection of seated PREISER HO. Most fit quite well needing no timing of feet !!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

comparing with photos of the original that's pretty much how the toilet cubicle would have looked, the space between the glass and the back of the cubicle is where the sliding door went when open. Nice mod.
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

You may notice that all the seats and hall way have been reinstated due to the fact that there is no motor in the middle of the chassis :D
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Now thats what Dapol should have done in the first place, and IMO would have justified its price too.