Hatford Junction Loft Layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
scoops

Hatford Junction Loft Layout

Post by scoops »

Hi all

I have been gathering stock and slowly building baseboard for my proposed loft layout. It has been a very slow process with a young family and time demanding job so progress has been painful.

I started with this;
Image[/img]

and have now managed to get to this;
Image[/img]

Now the problem is track planning. I am planning to build with Peco Code 100 flextrack and mainly setrack points. I am really struggling to develop a track plan and would love some help?!!!

I have been looking at track plans online but I cant seem to find anything that would work with my space. Down each side I have 303cm x 61cm (10ft x 2ft) and across the far end is 294cm x 57cm (9 and a bit foot by just under 2foot). At the end nearest the camera, it is only 30cm (1foot deep). The plan there is to have double track with each track going on either side of the pillar.

I will be running 66's, 56's and 37's with mainly freight wagons and TTA tankers. I do have a rack of nine intercity coaches but I want this to be a freight layout. I have seen a couple of track plans online like;

http://www.freetrackplans.com/1020-Bran ... Border.php
and
http://www.freetrackplans.com/1012-Immingham.php

I particularly like the Immingham one but I dont know how to alter it to suit my layout. Mine will ultimately total 10ft x 9.5ft.

Could anyone help or even better alter one of the above to suit my space. I would like a bit more siding space than either offer if that was possible to store stock.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Hatford Junction Loft Layout

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Looks like a promising start, have you considered looking at prototype depots, google maps have all teir track plans. This also helps later for inspiration of scenic things to put in.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
scoops

Post by scoops »

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply, sorry what is Prototype Depots?

Cheers

Tim
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

prototypes of depots, looking at the real things to gain inspiration, and possble aim to recreate if that's your thing (I prefer to model real places, others prefer imagined, for various reasons). :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
scoops

Post by scoops »

Ah, with you now :D Yeah I had been looking at things like the old Freightliner terminal at Joppa outside Edinburgh but I didnt think that it would create much interest.
scoops

Post by scoops »

Guys, this is really a first attempt. The idea is that the area at the top left will be a TMD with Lairg fuel siding to the right of it. On the bottom side will be more of of a fiddle yard but will be loosely based on Grangemouth fuel depot.

Cheers

Tim
Attachments
Hatford Junction.jpg
Hatford Junction.jpg (156.48 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
scoops

Post by scoops »

Right

Progressed slightly. I am going to create a loop out of the southern long curved siding for the outside mainline and create a loop from the northern siding of the three at the south of the layout for the inside line.

I am thinking about removing the northern loop from the outside mainline as I dont think it adds anything and moving the northern TMD and Lairg junction up to connect with the mainline rather than off the loop. I may then add a second siding of the Lairg fuel depot.

Any thoughts or input welcomed?

Cheers

Tim
scoops

Post by scoops »

Thought I might have got a little bit of advice....
js1975

Post by js1975 »

Nice looking timberwork.
What control are you going to use?
scoops

Post by scoops »

It's going to be my first attempt at a DCC layout mate if I can get my head around it ;-)
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

scoops wrote:Thought I might have got a little bit of advice....
Sorry, missed you for some reason.

When I saw the diagram , my very first thought was that long outside siding ought to be a loop!

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
js1975

Post by js1975 »

scoops wrote:It's going to be my first attempt at a DCC layout mate if I can get my head around it ;-)
I am returning to this older wiser and richer(ish) - when I left it was all DC and now this digi thing seems a whole lot simpler. Two wire concept and everything being addressed. Nice. Points still a pain in the ass - but there has to be some challenges!
scoops

Post by scoops »

Yeah it was a bit glaring when I looked back at it after I posted it. I think I will remove the top loop as it was a bit small anyway.
Emettman wrote:
scoops wrote:Thought I might have got a little bit of advice....
Sorry, missed you for some reason.

When I saw the diagram , my very first thought was that long outside siding ought to be a loop!

Chris.
scoops

Post by scoops »

Yes that was my view as well but the costs are pretty surprising!
js1975 wrote:
scoops wrote:It's going to be my first attempt at a DCC layout mate if I can get my head around it ;-)
I am returning to this older wiser and richer(ish) - when I left it was all DC and now this digi thing seems a whole lot simpler. Two wire concept and everything being addressed. Nice. Points still a pain in the ass - but there has to be some challenges!
js1975

Post by js1975 »

Yes costs indeed. And never is the saying get what you pay for more applicable. The cheap stuff is mostly cr@p.