Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Post by Dad-1 »

Wagons need track to run on.
January 1st, wet dull day.
What to do ?
Well although I've prepared parts to build a point at our exhibition I thought
I'd make another from scratch. It did take all afternoon, but here it is :-

It still needs 4 rail cuts and all the sleeper insulating cuts putting in, but it's
silky smooth. I haven't got a working over centre spring, don't have the right
springy wire.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Previous picture point now with rail insulating cuts and insulation breaks
in all the correct places in the copper-clad sleepers. This may well find itself
on the new shunting layout.

Here sleepers being cut to length for a crossover build.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Sleepers all in place on double sided tape, burnished and ready for soldering.
Might solder a couple of lengths of track today, but as I'm running 'Thomas'
at the Wessex Association Exhibition at Frome this weekend I need to sort that
out.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Well I can't resist small locomotives.
At the Frome Exhibition on 6 & 7 January I had "Branchlines" trade stand next to my
"Thomas" layout and ended up buying Nu-Cast white metal Sentinel Shunter. Why, I
just don't know. I mean I have a Dapol 'O' Sentinel - Perhaps I just wanted a '00' version.

Apart from having the Dapol version I have no book, or other information on sentinels.

So what Did I buy :-

White metal always need some fettling, seams and such cleaning up.

As I don't have a temperature controlled soldering iron I'm constructing using super glue.
I built a couple of Roxey Mouldings locos using glue and it's proved to be adequate. In fact
one went off the side of a board onto the floor with just minor damage to one buffer.

I then had flu and everything stopped for a while. Starting again now and here is a part
propped/part built showing where I've had to build my own bunker & water tank.

The original kit part was just a flat slab of white metal !!

Hope to get more done this weekend.

Geoff T
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:43 pm Well I can't resist small locomotives.
At the Frome Exhibition on 6 & 7 January I had "Branchlines" trade stand next to my
"Thomas" layout and ended up buying Nu-Cast white metal Sentinel Shunter...
I have had a lot of good motor and drive line combos from 'Branchlines' under the previous owner. Is the mechanism theirs? You could build a point of spectacularly small radius which only this mechanism can negotiate!

The body is coming on neatly. My last few 'restoration' rebuilds of white metal items, Milliput was used to fill gaps. The way it can be polished' with water as it begins to cure is such an asset, no need for any sanding back at all. There's a whitemetal kit on my shelves somewhere...
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Bigmet,

The drive unit was supposed to be a Tenshodo spud, but it's not that name on it.
While writing this I can't remember what it is, but perhaps a Chinese copy ?
Now while the painted interior dries I'm trying to get sitting at the right height ?
Judged against other stock, right, or not.
A case of check, check, and check again.

Geoff T.
Phred

Post by Phred »

I've just been watching this video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtejloV10Y

Not much room in that cab!
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Like the track build, unfortunately we are too large to contemplate, but admire yours, great if you want a scissors or an interesting option. This might wet your appetite I saw it at a show
IMG_8137.jpeg
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Phred,

No interior in mine and I've chosen cab cream as my inside colour rather than the grey
as in this video. I am contemplating adding a driver, just so there is something in the
interior.

Bigmet the drive motor has the name 'HANAZONO' on it, it runs better in reverse than
forward on a DC test. My current problem is working out how to DCC it, there are two tabs
on the top corners, but these are all wired into the pick-ups somehow inside. I shall need
to open up and see how I can separate motor to pick-ups connections.

Jaz I always fancied using 3 CD's to make a small wagon turntable. Sounds simple with top
and bottom CD's, with a drilled ballbearing holder made from another to make the bearing.
Track making is interesting and can give a great deal of freedom on formations, but I've
decided to use SMP flexi for the plain runs. All to save time & effort as well as using stock I
already have, like about 7 boxes of it !!

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:38 am ...the drive motor has the name 'HANAZONO' on it, it runs better in reverse than forward on a DC test. My current problem is working out how to DCC it...
The proof that the Japanese - usually to the fore in tech. - have in model railway decided not to go DCC.

Memory now: A securing screw on the underside to remove, persuade the base to come off, memorise or photograph the contents arrangement. Out with the wheelsets, carefully not bending the pick up wipers, then remove the wipers and motor to isolate the wipers from the motor terminals.
Then wire up to decoder, with heatshrink insulation over all the exposed solder/metal to prevent shorts on the casing, but neatly so it isn't impossible to reassemble...

You never know, a little realignment inside may deliver equal performance in both directions.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Bigmet,

I should remember how to do it, but nothing is coming to mind !!
I did 2 back in 2015, they were genuine Tenshodo and still running perfectly.
What/How did I do it ???? I hope your comments and some memory may return
to help get this sorted.

Always going back to basics and remembering this MUST be fun !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Another small step forward.
First all 6 windows are in place, it's a patience testing process of cutting 6 off 8.0 mm squares
of clear plastic. Then micro sanding a few thou off each side to get an exact fit into individual
window frames. Hopefully secured by small drops of clear varnish into the corners.

Then the separating of the pick-ups from the motor in my small power unit. One of those job that
could easily go wrong.
First a look inside after separation.

The contacts are just folded into the casing, using their natural spring to hold against the motor
contacts. After bending out they need to be removed.

Out of focus but now cut off by using a slitting disc.
Now the top tabs are against the motor for power in from a decoder, while the wheel pick-ups need
leads to provide track power into the decoder.

Now WHAT decoder ?? I don't have a quality spare here, so do I use an old Hornby that performed well in
one of my 9F's, OR get a Lenz silver mini with it's multitude of refining adjustments. These small motor
units usually need some adjustments to enhance the slow running qualities. They are not designed for ultra
slow. This may mean a delay if I order a new decoder*. * Can't find any Zimo 'N' size with wires.

Also in a quandary as to the inside - is it Worth the effort of trying to add a fire box (if you can call it that)
and pipe up to the roof located chimney. I mean this is NOT an accurate scale model, but just a working
representation. Rivet counter NOT ALLOWED.

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Most of these things didn't have what you would recognise as a firebox, just something resembling an oil drum with a stovepipe sticking out of the top. Most of what you might put inside isn't going to be visible. If you've seen a "Volcano" camping boiler you have the general plan, just a few times bigger.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

When compact and with a highly competent range of motor control CV's to cudgel optimal performance from a less than special drive ie required: Zimo MX600 is my go to wired decoder, 25 x 11x 2 mm, full insulating shroud means it will go 'anywhere' in an all metal body. It was all of £20 not so long ago, £25 nowadays...
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

A video of it running, Bigmet, now destined for a 'good' decoder.

https://youtu.be/gNFe-yKrmkY

Kevin at Coastal DCC will be sending me both a Zimo, and Lenz. I'll sort out which I use later.

Pleased with the running of this motor unit on DC - you can hear the AC supply buzz.
I really have enjoyed this little excursion.

Geoff T.