Hornby TTS Models

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
saslord
Site Admin

Hornby TTS Models

Post by saslord »

Hello

Can someone with a Hornby TTS model please test for me if it runs at 100% DC power without any problem.

I have one which runs 100% on DCC and 100% on DC with a blanking plate, but stops at about 70% power with the TTS chip fitted.

Both I and Hornby have none in stock at the moment to test.

Simon
Flashbang

Re: Hornby TTS Models

Post by Flashbang »

Do remember that on dc loco will often run faster due to the dc controller outputting more than the required 12 volts!
Often this can be as high as 14 to 15 volts for the one loco running.
On a DCC system the top volts (via CV5, whos value is worth checking that its at its maximum - see the decoders manual for the decoder range in CV5) is set to not normally exceed the motors rating of approx. 12 volts, though it possible to see 13.5 volts at times on the some motors dependent on decoder/console combination.
So often a dc only or dc ready loco will be faster on dc then if on DCC.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

The issue is not about speed, but that at 70+ on DC that the TTS sound loco stops and then when you reduce the power slightly is starts again.

I have never seen this problem before.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

its the first TTS sound loco so i guess there will be a few bugs here and there

as it has a decoder in it it might be worth trying to reset the decoder - this has fixed a few issues i have had with DCC decoders in the past

i know your not using it on DCC when having the issue but the chip is still being used in this case on DC so it could be worth a try?
SRman

Post by SRman »

You should also try it on a completely different DC controller. Some DC controllers, like Hornby's H&M 2000, put out a wave-form DC rather than pure DC. This can fool the decoder into thinking the waves or pulses are a DCC signal.

I used to find that ESU decoders run on the H&M 2000 accelerated up to a point but turning the knob further actually caused the loco to slow down before accelerating again with further knob-turning.

I found that there was no such problem using a much older H&M Duette controller with much purer DC outputs. I am still using that Duette for DC running and testing purposes!
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Sounds like an overvoltage protection shutdown. The early Soundtraxx Tsunami sound decoders when fitted to largescale locomotives would shutdown when track voltage exceeded 21 volts. The NMRA requirement was for largescale decoders to maintain a 28 volt track voltage input. Obviously a small scale decoder was used.

As suggested, I believe that your loco is receiving more than 12 volts and shutting down. 70% of 15 volts is around 12 volts. Not unusual on DC for the input to reach 15 volts.

Tim
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

It might sound like a naive question, but can these models run on basic DC & still produce the sound? Been contemplating getting a Gadwall A4 & turning it into a 4489 Canada, swapping the tender over as well.
SRman

Post by SRman »

Phipps: I cannot answer for the TTS sound (yet - I have a P2 on order) but the standard LokSound v3.5 and v4 decoders fitted to all the previous sound releases from Hornby and Bachmann can produce basic engine sounds on DC analogue controls. You do not have control over the extra functions like whistles/horns and any other sounds programmed into the decoders though.

Hornby used to set their sound locomotives to work with DC straight out of the box, whereas Bachmann locos required a CV to be changed: you needed to have someone with a DCC set up to change CV13 to a value of 1 and that allowed the sounds to play on DC.

I may be able to report back later when I eventually receive my TTS P2 as to whether that will play on DC.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

I know that my St Paddy runs on a DC setup with no problems.
Sometimes the sound cuts out a certain way along, but that sounds more like the recording.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

As far as I am aware the sound does not function on analogue
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I agree with the previous posting in that I believe that the sound is a DCC function only.

Tim
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Thanks for the warning chaps.I'll save myself the extra few quid & just buy their Golden Shuttle.
Only thought that having the sound would add a little extra, but as I'm unlikely to run a DCC layout, seems a wasted effort.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

Actually the sound does work, but only the sound the locomotive will make whilst moving, no whistle, brake squeal, or other sounds are capable of being made with DC, all other sound options are only usable on DCC.