Buying online

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Spo

Buying online

Post by Spo »

Hi folks ,I live in a part of Northern Ireland where model shops are like hens teeth,so basically anything that I want to buy has to be bought online.im sure there are a lot of people in the same boat as myself.would it be possible to list some sites where members have got a good deal,maybe there already is one and I haven't found it yet
Lofty

Re: Buying online

Post by Lofty »

Click the logo on the top right of this page - New Modellers Shop - excellent service, and they provide this forum for FREE.

Loads of other shops mentioned in this (Model Railway Shop) section, have a perusal through some of the threads, most do online trading.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

I use a range of places mostly gaugrmaster and ehattons and sometimes peters spares, with quite a lot of eBay thrown in (I'm a cheapskate!)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Hattons get 95% of my business to be honest because, like Amazon, I don't have to keep putting my credit card number in when I want to buy from them. OK they are pretty reliable too but the minimum package size is a "too big box" that forces the postman to ring the doorbell, and right now they seem not to trust customers as much as they did - like refusing to send the correct goods when the error is theirs until they have received them back, and not refunding postage on faulty goods unless you force the issue.

Osborne's in Bideford, Amazon, Rails of Sheffield, and Gaugemaster get orders from me for items Hattons don't stock - which isn't much. But they are all very good.

Slaters Plastikard sell the very best Plastikard and their railway fencing is of legendary quality. But the website forces a minimum order value of £10 which contains a surprise for the unwary - this is £10 NOT including VAT and post and packing. So if you just want 2 sheets of something you finish up having to add bits you don't want yet which gets you a lowest possible order price when you see the bill for the first time of more like £17.
KevSR

Post by KevSR »

Apart from a few ebay buys, I always use Hattons. I find there service to be quick and, compared to some other shops, very reasonably priced. Also, when I have asked them questions via e-mail, I've always received a reply within 24 hours.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

One that I've used and found the service i.e. despatch even faster than Hatton's
is The Hereford Model Centre. Prices often within a few pence of Hattons with P&P
at £3, can at times work out a better deal. They are prone to be GWR orientated, but
that suits me, as do some of their 'special' limited editions.

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

ParkeNd wrote:Slaters Plastikard sell the very best Plastikard and their railway fencing is of legendary quality. But the website forces a minimum order value of £10 which contains a surprise for the unwary - this is £10 NOT including VAT and post and packing. So if you just want 2 sheets of something you finish up having to add bits you don't want yet which gets you a lowest possible order price when you see the bill for the first time of more like £17.
The minimum order value is quite common, I don't mind it if the figure is in proportion to their item prices. Some dealers seem to combine a minimum order value with free postage. I much prefer those dealers who charge postage at cost. I have had the total cost reduced a number of times and have yet to have one increased so the system seems fair to me :)
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I guess the trick to ording online is not to treat it like a model shop where you can pop in and get the odd bit but build up a list to get the best value out of the p&p costs
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Good advice Alex It's what I used to do when the bits and pieces my team needed were simply not available via our official purchasing department. At that time both RS and Farnell had a £30 minimum order which would probably translate into £60 today.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Hi Spo

I'm also in Northern Ireland - Ballymena to be exact. I use a combination of Hattons, Amazon, Rails of Sheffield and ebay for my online purchases. I have found Hattons to be exceptional at customer service, range of stock items and overall costs of items plus shipping. Orders are usually processed the same day and delivered within 2 to me.

Depending on your location in N.I. there are a number of model shops available to you providing everything from Hornby to Peco, Bachmann, Wills, Metcalfe and Woodland Scenics. We certainly aren't as well catered for as those on the mainland but there are resources if you are prepared to drive a bit.

Hope that helps.

Paul