BASEBOARD - another way to consider

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Kiwibarge

Re: BASEBOARD - another way to consider

Post by Kiwibarge »

Noticed this post and admired your layout.

I am a newbie. In the process of planning my layout - it will be 9' by 4' and use your foam sheet on ply approach. OO/HO scale DCC.

A couple of things - would you change anything 6 years on in terms of method? Second you seem to have managed to squeeze lot of track and impressive scenery on your slightly smaller layout. Any chance of a layout plan (or if not, a couple of photos) - not sure of the etiquette involved - but any plagiarism would be a long way away :)

Regards from NZ
End2end

Post by End2end »

Sadly I think your whipping a dead donkey Kiwibarge. The OP only posted 11 times in the whole forum and the last here was 6 years ago. :?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'd forgotten this layout (so what's new) The use of multiple levels was definitely above average.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Albert

Post by Albert »

I'm glad it came back, anyway, beacause I missed it the first time round.

One thing anybody using this technique ought to beware of, though, is that the silver foil finish seen on that type of board is actually conductive, so things like droppers need insulation. I have a sheet of this that I use for track electronics prototyping and decided t made sense to just strip off the foil. Done carefully it leaves a smooth surface.
Albert
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:...The use of multiple levels was definitely above average.
I don't believe it can be said often enough, that the moment a layout builder makes provision for the 'land surface' of the layout to fall significantly below the track level, makes a step change in realism. A significant vertical aspect to the scene is very effective in making a confined space look larger, so it matters as much on small layouts where the temptation is to go for the simple plane baseboard. For large layouts, the cost saving of the 'open top' method already mentioned above (some years ago!) provides this ability to have the scenery go down as well as up relative to the track base quite naturally.

This is not so easy for exhibition layouts, where volume considerations become very significant for transport. The first time I saw a home layout with scenery extending vertically eight feet (3 feet below track level to 5 feet above) the effect was truly stunning. Roughly 700 feet in HO, quite modest for the 12,000 ft range of the mountainous setting! So effective in making the train look 'small' against the surrounding wilderness.
AndyH01

Post by AndyH01 »

New builder here on a budget, my baseboards are reclaimed and repurposed pine and mdf. Having seen this I'm going to try using the insulation board, have some off cuts to start with. Not sure if enough to cover the whole board, just the track.

I have some 100mm and 50mm stuff, do.i look to slice the 100mm in half to 50mm ?
Do I look to cover the whole board with 100mm or 50mm or just do the track ?
Thanks Andy
FatController

Post by FatController »

This is interesting - any thoughts or experience on noise (or lack thereof) with these insulation boards? I would assume they dampen noise?
Cheers
Alun