Exeter St Davids OO

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bigmet

Re: Exeter St Davids OO

Post by Bigmet »

bootneckbob wrote:...I'm not even sure what the pick ups on the tender are doing; seems a complicated way to do it it with the clip on a spigot...
I take the pick up wipers on tenders either out of contact, or remove them completely. They serve no useful purpose; between the weight on driven wheels and the 'agitation' provided by them being driven, the loco alone has pick up enough, especially in the case of six-coupled or larger. (If tank engines work reliably, what need for tender pick ups?) And there's a downside to Hornby's tender pick up using wipers; after some use they become effective brakes. In the most severe cases among the locos I have - Hornby's 8F and B17 - the loco has struggled to move itself alone after about a year in use on the layout!

Where tender pick up is useful (singles and four coupleds) it should be done on axle ends; ideally pinpoints for no incremental friction, but parallel bearings are acceptable.
Phred

Post by Phred »

The shed looks very good in that space. Great work on the buffer stop too. I'm now tempted to dig out my old Hornby ones to have a go at making them look somewhere near convincing.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Last day in the shed for my Easter break although it wasn't a day at all it was 3 hours, still worthwhile. As I expected, the Brewery (as it is now) did need some compression.

With what I've mocked up today I think I'll get away with it visually, but the side adjacent to the road will take up the slack; i.e. there will be no outside yard space other than the loading bay. From the viewing side it should look ok. Although not shown in the photos, I've looked at all the areas of the building, widths, heights and clearances, particularly for the canopy which extends over the 'removed' line at the entrance to New North Yard.

I've attached a couple of photos again. This time the view from the ends of Platforms 1 & 5. I've also included a real photo of the scene probably taken from the end of platform 3 / 4., although it's zoomed in a little bit too much. I've also showed a bit of an overhead shot to show how I mock up the areas. I really should have sorted out the car parking sign!

Late edit: Cropped version to compare the composition between reality and the layout; plus my mrs couldn't tell what she was supposed to be looking at, so I cropped it!
Attachments
IMG_20230416_192827~2.jpg
IMG_20230416_192027~2 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20230416_192041~2.jpg
110008441_10157139897957307_838658866064781486_o.jpg
20230416 red cow.jpg
20230416 red cow.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

It's certainly getting there.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

I took this picture last week when it turned up and cancelled my Accurascale order for Defiance yesterday. I will be getting one of their 50s for sure but swapping out all 6 of my 50s will be expensive. My 2 NSE ones are still in their boxes and never been run or out of the box for that matter so I might sell those and get the Accurascale NSE model. Anyway without repeating myself when I found out about Defiance in Rail freight and the year (1987-88) I had to get one.
Attachments
IMG_20230421_144047~2.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Glad you had themodelling funds when the right loco came your way! It looks great!

I think I worked a train or two (As a guard) with that loco but in B.R. Blue. Trying to remember. One was "Hood".
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Oh my, I loved that shot of the prototype with all that black oil & grease.
I must remember to add more to my grime !!

Oh yes nice loco, but 33's for me, Let's face it, I'm that little bit older !!

Geoff T.
Phred

Post by Phred »

At first glance (if it wasn't for your new building in progress) I'd be hard pressed to see the difference between a photo of your layout and the real thing. You must be doing something right! 8)
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Thanks for those comments guys, very nice of you.

I got Defiance without any NEM pockets, and the spares arrived today so this was her first time out hauling anything. Caught her doing some light Speedlink work down by Cowley Bridge a few minutes ago!
Attachments
IMG_20230505_151745~2.jpg
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

bootneckbob wrote:Caught her doing some light Speedlink work down by Cowley Bridge a few minutes ago!
The Exeter - Acton Speedlink was always light. Our only Class 50 turn. The wagons were not usually loaded 'Heavy', so 60mph in a brake van (when present). You could get that stove really hot.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

That's brilliant Richard08. Confirms what I've seen in pics.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Well I can't believe its been 3 months since the last update. Busy with the other hobby and looking after the house and garden (yawn). Anyway, I really wanted to push on a bit with some time off this week; didn't do as much as I wanted but got some more ballast down in the station area (northern end) which has helped stick the platforms down to the base board and stop any warping. Will this be a good idea in the long run; who knows, watch this space.

Along with the ballast I did a bit of the cable run on platform 4. Should have taken a pic but you'll see it in time. The other thing I've been up to is the building which is now the Brewery (I think). Slow work but this building unlike my other mock ups has been made in card not foam-board. Not finished but it's taking shape and given the confined space I think it's looking ok. I just gave the main roof a quick coat of grey paint as it didn't show up well in white card.
IMG_20230812_180303.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20230812_172139.jpg
IMG_20230812_171957.jpg
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Always pleased to see an update.

Geoff T
Phred

Post by Phred »

I like the complex roof on the brewery. :)
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Phred wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:38 pm I like the complex roof on the brewery. :)
There's a lot more complexity to come!