Cuckmere Haven - a new SR layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
KevSR

Cuckmere Haven - a new SR layout

Postby KevSR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 am

Hello
I thought I'd share a few details about the layout I am just about to start building. As I mentioned on the Welcome page, constructing baseboards in my flat isn't really an option (mainly due to the sawdust/mess & noise) and building them out on the street didn't really appeal! Also, being a rented flat I am not allowed to attach anything to the walls. I was a bit stumped until I came across some wooden trestle tables on Amazon which are sturdy (the tops and legs are solid pine) and also, using two, they are a near perfect fit for the space I have avaliable, just a four inch gap at one end.
The only drawback using ready-built tables is that the height is fixed, 2' 4" in this case, and I would have preferred them a bit higher, but compromises have to be made.
The two tables have been levelled using heavy-duty cardboard under any legs that needed raising (which was only two, by a fraction), and joined together with battens screwed in place underneath. The whole thing is surprisingly sturdy.
I have yet to construct the fiddle-yard board. This will only be 1' wide as it will be sandwiched between the bed & the window (space is somewhat tight!) I have two old bedside cabinets that will be brought up to the right height using wood offcuts & then a piece of strong ply laid between them to form the baseboard.

The layout itself will be a Southern Railway secondary main-line terminus, set in Sussex in ex-LBSCR territory during the '30s before electrification. I suppose, given the space avaliable, I should go for a branch-line layout, but these have never appealed - I like big engines, and I think my King Arthur's & School's might look a bit silly hauling a two coach local! As planned. the station will be able to handle a five coach train in platform 2, and 4 coaches in platforms 3 & 4. Platform 1 will be for push-pull working.
The big problem, which I can do very little about, is the limited size of the fiddle-yard - I'm still working on this one, the wardrobe may have to go!
I will post some photo's of progress so far in due course.

The trackplan is shown here -
Attachments
Cuckmere Haven Mk 4 Small 1.jpg
Cuckmere Haven Mk 4 Small 1.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

Ex-Pat

Re: Cuckmere Haven - a new SR layout

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 am

Welcome to the Forum Kev.

Plenty of operating possibilities in your plan - is it set in stone yet? Reason for asking is because it looks as though shunting to/from the station to/from the carriage sidings means you will have to effectively enter the fiddle yard.

Could you move the turntable further right and incorporate a headshunt "parallel" to the mainline/fiddle yard access?

Will you be using flexitrack?

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:45 am

Ambitious plan. Good luck! I wouldn't want to wire all those point motors!

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 am

The turntable was meant to be as far to the right as possible, but a restriction of using trestles is the legs & bracers which have to be worked around. I have a Peco turntable which requires a hole 1" deep, and the table-top is only 3/4" - typical! I am using Peco setrack, purely to maximise the amount of trackwork that will fit into the space, and have roughly laid out the approach lines & platforms. A five coach set hauled by a small tank loco has just enough room to clear the carridge sidings point without entering the fiddleyard. I'm sure adjustments to the trackplan will occur as the layout develops.

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 am

Indeed ambitious, a generous station, and engine shed for a single line branch.

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm

First Photos on Canon 033.jpg
First Photos on Canon 033.jpg (80.8 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
A couple of pictures of the new layout. The track has been temporaily laid out to see if everything fits - seems to work OK. The next job is to pull the whole lot forward to make enough room to get behind it & fit the backscene boards. Then the track will be re-laid on cork, wiring holes drilled etc, etc.
First Photos on Canon 034.jpg
First Photos on Canon 034.jpg (76.73 KiB) Viewed 3550 times

First Photos on Canon 035.jpg
First Photos on Canon 035.jpg (80.7 KiB) Viewed 3550 times

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 pm

Looking good!
Gonna be awkward getting into bed once the fiddle yard is built! :o :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 pm

That bed is a right pain, restricts the width of the fiddleyard to a foot. Maybe I'll get rid of it & sleep on the floor!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Build the railway in the bottom of a bunk bed! Can be as big as you like! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:25 am

Ok, bit of a change coming up. Just got a new job which means a move. This is good as the area I'll be moving to is cheaper which means I can get a two bedroom place - a railway room! Of course it means the layout will be on hold for a while, but I have a pile of un-made kits to keep me occupied. In the meantime, here's a pic of my loco stud - raring to go...(the A3 in the background is waiting to donate it's chassis to a Langley Baltic tank kit - I havn't come over all LNER!)
Attachments
Stock 5-3-14 008 small.jpg
Stock 5-3-14 008 small.jpg (88.53 KiB) Viewed 3407 times

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:39 am

NOW I see why you need so much, dense, track! Good luck with a move.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:45 am

Oh, lovely line up there, are they all RTR, or any kitbuilt?

Good to hear that a "railway room" is on the cards, will this mean a more ambitious/bigger layout, or will you keep the plan the same?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:50 am

Will keep the plan pretty much the same, depending on the space avaliable - if I end up with more than 12' in length then I'll just lengthen the roads. The big bonus is having enough space for a proper fiddle-yard and approach lines.
All RTR, the only kit built loco I have at present (not in the picture) is an old E5 tank I picked up from a boot-fair, which runs (sort of) but needs some serious TLC!

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:49 am

The other change I'm making is to do away with the setrack on the main layout & use streamline with large/medium turn-outs instead. Although the setrack points are a great space saver, after laying out the track I think they just look wrong. Still use them in the fiddle-yard though.

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Well, disregard the above post's, the moves off (don't ask, it's a long story) so I'm cracking on with the layout. Backscene boards are now up, and I'm ready to start track laying. The change to Streamline points won't be happening yet either, purely due to the cost. It will take time to aquire all the points needed and I'm fed up with waiting, just want to get on with it.
Never having soldered anything before, I am going to get some practice in on a couple of bits of old Lima track I've got lying around. Still a bit apprehensive about getting the wiring to work properly, as this is definitely my weakest point - only one way to learn!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”