Metropolitan Bo-Bo

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
HonestTom

Metropolitan Bo-Bo

Post by HonestTom »

While I was at Warley, I noticed Heljan has announced a Metropolitan Bo-Bo electric loco in development. This seems like something of a left-field entry - I've not seen these on any of the wishlists and it will be the first specifically London Underground ready-to-run prototype since the Ever Ready tube train (not counting Underground Ernie). As a fan of the Underground, I'm quite excited. What are everyone else's thoughts?
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.
Bufferstop

Re: Metropolitan Bo-Bo

Post by Bufferstop »

I think there are quite a few people who have a sneaky liking for this prototype. Probably no interest in modelling the underground or London railways in general but will buy one just because they like them. They may have been just a box to hide the works, but the framing, louvres and external fittings are the equal in must have detail to many steam locos, that's before we start on the list of names that they carried.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

I imagine that quite a few people could have an excuse to include a model of one of these on a suburban London layout. There seem to be quite a few of these around so I think that this new model will probably be quite popular.
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

Just the thing to pull Matt's Chesham Carriages!

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=42246

Really hope he brings it all together. I'm in line to buy some.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Harry Judd

Post by Harry Judd »

I cant wait to get this as my layout is based on The Great Central Railway and The London Underground around the early 1960's and I'm having a mix on the London Transport stuff
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

The latest update from the Heljan Facebook page.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Had an email from Hattons yesterday this is due September - December 2015 also noticed a small price increase of £7 now £107.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Hmmmmm. I might just have to have one of these little beauties! 8)
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

There were painted samples at Model Rail Scotland if anyone went... there's some images on the other forum that shall not be named.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Now currently released and being despatched. Look like nice models, had a word with Heljan on no 12 model which was cancelled for no reason, as they have the tooling for the different underframe, was some guess that it will probably pop up as a commission but they have denied it.. and not at this time. I still think it will be if so I find that very disappointing for those who wanted to order one.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Now two LU electric traction RTR products, following the S stock. No 12 has to be a future exclusive from the LU museum?

I am sure the Heljan runs beautifully, as their BoBo chassis is a very well developed production unit, and it makes an interesting looking model. But what to do with it? In my case, if only the LU had broken surface in KX station throat. Could have had a steam loco to electric loco handover on York Road and Hotel Curve platforms.
Xerces Fobe

Post by Xerces Fobe »

I order and John Hampden from Rails yesterday it will join my Radley Models based Sarah Siddons

XF
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Bigmet wrote:Now two LU electric traction RTR products, following the S stock. No 12 has to be a future exclusive from the LU museum?

I am sure the Heljan runs beautifully, as their BoBo chassis is a very well developed production unit, and it makes an interesting looking model. But what to do with it? In my case, if only the LU had broken surface in KX station throat. Could have had a steam loco to electric loco handover on York Road and Hotel Curve platforms.
Im hearing good things on the model from those who have them, they do look very nice jut a shame they changed the one I ordered, but didn't want anything else other than 12.

On the subject of no 12 Sarah Siddons from the comments on their page, quite a few are suspicious that it will be a commission for the LTM, I asked them outright they said it's not at this moment in time, The have the tooling for 12 as the underframe is different I think from what they said last time... so if you have the tooling, why pull the product... especially as it would of been a seller due to it's recent appearances and it being the only one left.

Screams out commission and £50 - 100 more in terms of on top of the £107.... if that's the case I won't be buying one, as I originally had one on order.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Matt,
not releasing #12 at the outset seems like a good marketing exercise to me. Many would want #12, but by releasing the other numbers first Heljan get increased sales as people will make impulse buys of the other numbers and then purchase #12 when released at a later date.

I had no real interest in the locomotive but it does grow on one even though no justification for the purchase. Like most with no metropolitan rolling stock, I would stick a rake of teak Gresley coaches behind it, plus possibly some nationalisation teaks as well. Though not prototypical I feel it would give the right impression.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

GWR_fan wrote:Matt,
not releasing #12 at the outset seems like a good marketing exercise to me. Many would want #12, but by releasing the other numbers first Heljan get increased sales as people will make impulse buys of the other numbers and then purchase #12 when released at a later date.

I had no real interest in the locomotive but it does grow on one even though no justification for the purchase. Like most with no metropolitan rolling stock, I would stick a rake of teak Gresley coaches behind it, plus possibly some nationalisation teaks as well. Though not prototypical I feel it would give the right impression.
Strangely the edit button is not there. Suburban Gresley teaks would most likely be a better choice as would a rake of Radley cars, but as my pockets are not deep enough to get suburban teaks as well as the Gresley teaks then I would need to compromise.