Back to the lakes ( N gauge)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Back to the lakes ( N gauge)

Post by Bufferstop »

Some great scenery there. I'll second the remarks about depth. It's great.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Lee

Post by Lee »

Bufferstop wrote:Some great scenery there. I'll second the remarks about depth. It's great.
Thank you buffer and all,

Here is a different angle, managed to get out with my side kick neighbour who also love model railways he was driving :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cvVO9B4jlo

Enjoy
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Nice rakes of coaches zooming past through scenery...
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

This is a fantastic railway. The scenerys really quite brilliant. I must admit, always being a oo modeler the last few years especially Ive come to envy how great N gauge is and has become with more companies catering for he scale. And what can be achieved in a small space.... not to mention full length trains!

I find areas of oo can be challenging to model at times with the smallness compared to its real life counterpart. Eg: Ive been making some station canopy parts as a side project that involve scale H beams and trying to make that without being oversize or extremely brittle has been a challenge.
My question is how do you find modeling in such a smaller scale than oo in regards to realism etc? Obviously it can be done well. Is it challenging in itself in the same ways Ive mentioned or is the scale so small it doesnt lend itself to finer details as they would be visually reduced to nothing once scaled down??
Lee

Post by Lee »

joshv8 wrote:This is a fantastic railway. The scenerys really quite brilliant. I must admit, always being a oo modeler the last few years especially Ive come to envy how great N gauge is and has become with more companies catering for he scale. And what can be achieved in a small space.... not to mention full length trains!

I find areas of oo can be challenging to model at times with the smallness compared to its real life counterpart. Eg: Ive been making some station canopy parts as a side project that involve scale H beams and trying to make that without being oversize or extremely brittle has been a challenge.
My question is how do you find modeling in such a smaller scale than oo in regards to realism etc? Obviously it can be done well. Is it challenging in itself in the same ways Ive mentioned or is the scale so small it doesnt lend itself to finer details as they would be visually reduced to nothing once scaled down??
Thank you all @ Joshv8,

I kind of find the landscaping comes natural to me so never found it a problem, i have recently noticed my eyes are slowly getting weaker close up, this in the future i would say could be a big problem with N gauge specially putting in the final finer detail in.

Like you mentioned i sort of stopped at a certain size detail on this layout due the how small some things are, i was going to go to the next level of detail but backed away, saying that i have got a quite a few sheep and cows to paint and add but i think i might need a magnifying glass to add the paint :lol:

Cheers

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

I know al about the eye sight. I started wearing glasses about 3 years ago for reading etc and anytime I do anything that requires attention to detail now I find myself reaching for them.

I can only hope when I start landscaping our own little roundy layout the landscaping comes as naturally to me as it does yourself. Its really well done. Im keen to give the hanging basket liner trick a go as Ive never tried it but about all Ive found in brisbane so far is stuff made from recycled coconuts. I see fur is another practical tool so Im going to have to take the young lad for a walk through our local fabric store I think.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Lovely scenery. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi all,

I am in the process of either upgrading the shed roof, or fully ripping it out and installing a log cabin in its place, it will be slightly bigger if i can sell the layout i will then have a new log cabin.

This is going in the for sale section its 14 ft long x 2 ft long its fully working in fact the best i have ever had a layout working 8)

I do not want to destroy this layout i would love someone to use it in all its glory, if i dont sell i will more than likely repair and re mod the roof 8) :wink:

Make an offer 8)
My N Gauge Layout.

TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Put it up on Ebay and/or one of the model railway selling groups on facebook, I am sure that someone would be interested! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

If the housing conditions are failing then I suppose it'll have to go.
I hate loosing good layouts, and what will you do if you can't sell it ?

Times keep a changin'

I'm old and don't like change.

Geoff T.
Lee

Post by Lee »

TimberSurf wrote:Put it up on Ebay and/or one of the model railway selling groups on facebook, I am sure that someone would be interested! :D

Never thought of that what a great idea 8)
My N Gauge Layout.

Lee

Post by Lee »

Dad-1 wrote:If the housing conditions are failing then I suppose it'll have to go.
I hate loosing good layouts, and what will you do if you can't sell it ?

Times keep a changin'

I'm old and don't like change.

Geoff T.
Hi Geoff i really cant decide what to do, part of me wants to extend the shed and turn it into another usable space the other half is saying repair slightly sagging roof in all honesty there is many years in it yet, i could work with space in there keeping the layout but would not mind if it went i could always build another in the future lol :wink:
My N Gauge Layout.

Lee

Post by Lee »

Been very busy in the shed decided to keep the railway, I have made a shed bar lol removed the monitor from the layout and it will go to the left near the bar area, all the new wiring is done and the layout is working from the laptop in the new position. Partioned the shed out to use it more effective and added curtains to hide the clutter.

I have redone the backing clouds scene by wall papering over the OSB wood boards to make it smoother looking.

I will model in where the monitor use to be probably a rock face and grass and trees.

Thanks

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Lee,

I agree with Dave - Very posh !!

Geoff T.
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

Great to hear you're keeping it. The bar next to the layout could be a bit dangerous haha.