SCRATCH BUILDING WITH BUILDERS BOG, PLASTER AND LINKA

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
timbologist

Re: SCRATCH BUILDING WITH BUILDERS BOG, PLASTER AND LINKA

Post by timbologist »

Hello all
hope we had a good weekend, did the usual things mow the grass, pump water up the hill, normal house work.

But also spent time on the important things, playing trains, building bits.

The main building was casting the roof panels for the engine shed from you guessed it bog, these a corrugated iron panels 8 for each side of the main roof,
should have made them bigger but they were big enough for the original job.

First photo shows the Latex mould that I cast the panels in.

Second photo is a raw casting straight out of the mould.

Photos 3 and 4 are of the 8 sheets glued together and given a coat of Humbrol No 11 Metallic Silver. The a joining edge of each sheet is sanded at a
slight angle with what is the top sheet angled inwards so that this sheet when pushed up against the mating sheet it rides up to make it easier to get
the edge of this sheet higher than its mate to continue the overlap effect, a bit fiddly but worth it as you can see in the painted photo's, when weathered
looks good photo 5 through in for good luck its the same sheets but painted and weathered.

I have glued the joined sheets onto 0.5mm cardboard and again made sure the grain is running the right way so it is stiffest across the roof, theses
sheets are between 1.5 and 2.0 mm thick depending where on the fall of the sheets you measure so a very fragile, mind you I managed to glue the
8 sheets together without breaking them :) . But I have another 8 sheets to do for the other side and the workshop roof, and another 2 large sheets
for the carriage workshop.

As far as this roof goes need to work out details for skylights and the fancy bit at the roof ridge that lets the smoke out.

that shall do for today, lots of work to do.
LATEX MOULD
LATEX MOULD
NRM-2013-11-24-MOULD-ROOF-IRON-2-640-480.jpg (255.65 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
SINGLE SHEET AS CAST
SINGLE SHEET AS CAST
NRM-2013-11-25-SINGLE-SHEET-IRON-RAW-4-640-480.jpg (163.04 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
JOINED ROOF SHEET PAINTED
NRM-2013-11-25-MAIN-ROOF-IRON-PAINTED-2-640-480.jpg (202.68 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
NRM-2013-11-25-MAIN-ROOF-IRON-PAINTED-4-640-480.jpg (218.11 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
engine shed coal mine
engine shed coal mine
P2170097-640x480.jpg (250.19 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
timbologist

Post by timbologist »

Hello all

Today's post is a bit disappointing, have not had much time to actually work on the engine shed itself,
still trying to cast another 10 panels for the other side of the roof and the workshop roof.
But as the 2 photo's show I have cut the sheet to size and clamped it onto the roof frame,
and managed to get the stone work painted with its base coat, will try and sort out the paint I will
paint the QUOINS ( probably not really QUOINS but sounds impressive as they are around window openings )

( Quoins (/kɔɪn/ or /kwɔɪn/) are masonry blocks at the corner of a wall.
They exist in some cases to provide actual strength for a wall made with inferior stone or rubble and in other
cases to make a feature of a corner, creating an impression of permanence and strength, and reinforcing the
onlooker’s sense of a structure’s presence.

Stone quoins are used on stone or brick buildings. Brick quoins may appear on brick buildings that extrude from the
facing brickwork in such a way as to give the appearance of uniformly cut blocks of stone larger than the bricks.
Where quoins are used for decoration and not for load-bearing, they may be made from a wider variety of materials
beyond brick, stone or concrete, extending to timber, cement render or other stucco. )

It's really starting to look not bad.

that's it for today

cheers
tony
ROOF JUST CLAMPED ON OUTSIDE VIEW
ROOF JUST CLAMPED ON OUTSIDE VIEW
NRM-2013-11-25-MAIN-ROOF-IRON-LOOSE-1-640-480.jpg (245.74 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
ROOF JUST CLAMPED ON INSIDE VIEW
ROOF JUST CLAMPED ON INSIDE VIEW
NRM-2013-11-25-MAIN-ROOF-IRON-LOOSE-2-640-480.jpg (210.55 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
timbologist

Post by timbologist »

Well It has been a while since I have posted anything here. Mainly have not been able to actually do any work directly on my layout.
I have busy working with a friend on the revival of the Linka System. For more information on this go to
http://www.linkaonline.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/Minibuildings
https://www.facebook.com/Linkamodelsau

anyway back to the Engine shed finally cut the holes in the baseboard for the pits and the shed is now in place
as seen in pic 1

Pic 2 finally made both roof panels and are attached to those nice timber frames, ( pity to hide them )

Pic 3 is a close up of the flashing I have scratch made. how I made this is I drew up the profile I wanted then using a 3D printed printed out the former. Then I just place my foil over the former and using the fingers form it into shape.

As an aside I purchased the printer in January this year and It's been working flat out making items for the Linka System and of course my train layout.

Pic 4, 5, are views of the roof vent that is printed in PLA on my printer, it is printed as a flat pack then glued together.

If there is interest I can start another topic on 3d printing for Model Railways

so if there is any Questions about this please ask.

The below link is a collection of items that I have printed for use with the Linka system and are of course OO 1:76.2 scale, as you will see once set up correctly the results achievable are quit good, of course not as good as injection moulded parts.
But you get to make items as you want them not, and not have to cut and paste all the time.

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/timbo ... t=3&page=1

cheers
Tony
pic 1 shed actually in place on layout
pic 1 shed actually in place on layout
P7120003.JPG (281.71 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
pic 2 roof attached to frame
pic 2 roof attached to frame
P7120004.JPG (250.27 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
pic 3 detail of flashing
pic 3 detail of flashing
P7120005.JPG (224 KiB) Viewed 1052 times