Railway in the Scenery... TTe

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
b308

Re: Railway in the Scenery... TTe

Post by b308 »

That's the intention, P! The line it's based on runs through undulating scenery with forests and villages and the odd small town en route. Definitely not "tracks everywhere" except at the main line interchange... The plan is to add boards between the ones buolt in due course to make it even more open!

(Google Image "JHMD" for photos of the line it's based on...)

Another reason i like it is the variety of stock, even with the same loco they try to ring the changes!

b308

Post by b308 »

The final two wagons I'll be doing for the time being. I have some more but they can wait as I need to concentrate of the scenery on the Station board. The two are a Balm/u coach and DF/u box van, again DK-Model brass kits.

b308

Post by b308 »

I'm now done as far as scenery is concerned for NG Midlands next week at Water Orton, the rest of my time will be spent fettling the stock and trying out the new controller (I'm not keen on the Marklin one!)... Some tasters:

b308

Post by b308 »

Some recent photos, two in "twilight" and two in normal light!

skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Excellent photos - especially the last one.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

They are definitely not sticklers for corporate colour schemes are they? I noticed there's a bit about new stock in the latest "Railway Magazine"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

Is there? Will have to have a look! If its about the railcars then they could see the lines demise. Neither the staff nor the locals like them and for those of us who go to see the scenery they are worse than useless!!
b308

Post by b308 »

Some from the Zedex show yesterday:

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

b308 wrote:Is there? Will have to have a look! If its about the railcars then they could see the lines demise. Neither the staff nor the locals like them and for those of us who go to see the scenery they are worse than useless!!
Those porthole windows look even worse than our current seating/window mismatched designs.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

BR introduced mismatched seating on the Mk3s, but they are far worse than that...

b308

Post by b308 »

Those of you who have seen it at exhibitions will know that when we put up the curtain along the front we end up with a triangular gap in front of the middle board and the castle board. Charlie Forbes, my regular operator, suggested a while ago that I made a scenic infill for it to make it look neater. As a respite from making Balm/u's I made up the new board ready for St Albans next weekend...

So here is "Charlie's Infill"!! :)

nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

b308 wrote: The MBxd2 railcar alongside an HOe 3D printed version:

The side windows look a lot deeper on the smaller version, I'm curious which is prototypically correct.

Either way, it's all looking great so far, this is the first time I've seen this thread so not reading through, so apologies if you've already addressed this enquiry lol.
b308

Post by b308 »

I've never noticed that before! Looking at this photo it would seem as though the brass model is correct as far as the side windows seem to be the same depth as the front ones. But I'm not so sure about how high they go! Will have to check out the drawing I have!

nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

I keep looking between the two and that pic of the real thing and I'm pretty sure the smaller one is correct, despite the side ribs not being present.

I'm sure if they weren't posed side by side I wouldn't have noticed the difference, it was the depth of the window surrounds that drew me in. If you look at the 4th rib up though, it seems too high compared to the front panel that sticks out, on the prototype, the ribs should be slightly lower, allowing space for the 5th rib below the window.

I love this layout, if it wasn't for cost, narrow gauge would be my preference for modelling. N is too small for my liking and I have no desire to develop "N eyes" as some have suggested lol, but 00 does take up a lot of space if you want more than a basic inglenook and yet some semblance of scenery.
b308

Post by b308 »

http://www.thorhauer-eisdorf.de/pommern ... /mbxd2.htm

http://www.interlok.info/MBxd2.htm

Now I'm confused! I do prefer the brass one of the two, though!