Model shops in York

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Alex3410

Model shops in York

Post by Alex3410 »

Hi all,

I am off to the York area on holiday soon and was just wondering if there are any 'must see' model shops in the area?

other attractions would also keep my other half happy so would also be welcome :lol:
luckymucklebackit

Re: Model shops in York

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Think there is a museum of sorts in that town that might be worth a visit :)

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

There's a must visit model shop next to the Gateway arch round the back of the Minster "Monk Bar Model Shop" on Goodramgate. Unless you are going for one of their exclusives whilst visiting the NRM I'd keep your wallet well away from their shop. The prices might frighten it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Monkbar Models is a proper model shop. Railway stuff is at the back of the shop, prices are not bad, there is usually a box on the floor in front of the Bachmann cabinet stuffed with whatever is marked down to clear this week. Staff are very friendly and knowledgable.

P&S Models on Fossgate (closed Wednesdays) does mostly R/C, plastic kits and armour. No railway but loads of paints, glues, styrene, brass, tools, bits and bobs. Staff are a husband and wife on alternate days, they know their stuff but don't get him started about business rates or on-street parking restrictions or you'll be there all day.

The museum is worth a look for the books if not the models (all RRP), also try Barbican Books (just up Fossgate from P&S) - go past the Christian books at the front of the shop, railways and military history are in the back with a large second hand section beyond that.

Elsewhere - erm.... Frizinghall Models in Bradford, Pennine Models in Haworth (is he still there ?). Nothing in Leeds, nothing in Harrogate once Modelzone goes.

There are a couple of small places near Skipton if you go that far west, or Scarborough if you're going east.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
b308

Post by b308 »

If your travelling around or passing through en route there are several in the Wakefield and Sheffield areas as well... As usual UKModelShops website is the place to look!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

stuartp wrote:nothing in Harrogate once Modelzone goes.
There is, it's tiny, but the old guy running it seems to know his stuff. It's called Starbeck Models, it's opposite one side of the huge grass area where all the roads converge just east of the town centre. Look him up on http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk. If you've got one of those cards with a cardboard clock to set your arrival time you can park opposite, in the service road for an hour or so.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

Staff are a husband and wife on alternate days
No comment... :)
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Went to a fair few on my trip to yorkshire,

Monk bar was by far the best
Scarborough has one but is closed on wednesday's and after 3 (guess which day and what time I got there :wink: )
There's one in Whitby called collectables past and present, terrible shop is all I can say, included was overpriced played with vinatge star wars figures they wanted £15 a peice for! worth about 50p.
On the north york moors railway at Grosmont there's a shop in the engine shed decentley priced and pleanty of second hand books too. There is also a fairly decent model shop next to the station.
There is also a model shop in pickering not a massive selection but worth a look.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Bufferstop wrote:
stuartp wrote:nothing in Harrogate once Modelzone goes.
There is, it's tiny, but the old guy running it seems to know his stuff. It's called Starbeck Models
Do you know, while I was typing that I was thinking "I've forgotten one, I know I've forgotten one..." Thanks John, I beg Starbeck Models' pardon.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

TK421 wrote: On the north york moors railway at Grosmont there's a shop in the engine shed decentley priced and pleanty of second hand books too. There is also a fairly decent model shop next to the station.
There's another bookshop, in the same block as the model shop up a flight of stairs - very well stocked and reasonable prices.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

@stuartp - don't worry about it, he'll never know, says he doesn't do Internet.
John W
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Thanks for the info - I will check a few of them out if the other half is in a good mood :lol: really looking forward to the NRM just hope its not to busy

I was planning on visiting the Monkbar Models shop as i have had a few bits from them via ebay and have had their card in my wallet ready for the holiday for about 3 weeks :lol:

I would love to stop in at rails of sheffield on the way but its going to add another hour onto the trip - not even including time spent looking around :(
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

b308 wrote:As usual UKModelShops website is the place to look!
Just had a look and looks like TMC is in the area - not sure if they have a public shop or if they are online only so sent a request for info because i have really fancied a Limited Edition Shunters Running Wagon but didn't fancy the £4.50 P&P charges so even if thats all i get will be happy :lol: might have to plan it in for the end of the week to see how much spending money i actually have left!
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

stuartp wrote:Elsewhere - erm.... Frizinghall Models in Bradford, Pennine Models in Haworth (is he still there ?)
I believe so. I'm pretty near Haworth and I'm sure he's still going. Frizinghall Models is pretty good as a shop. Lots of stuff, but don't know how knowledgeable the staff are, really. Still, have a look on their website if you're after something.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

popped into Monk Bar yesterday and really enjoyed a quick look around - the other half was a little fed up after having walked around the NRM for a few hours lol

the shop was really nice and had a good selection - if a little crowed in the glass cabnets

also went to the one in scarbourgh which i had not planned on going to but we went to walk around the town / beach but i had totally forgotten about it so it was a nice surprise - a really nice shop one of my faouvrates so far massive selection squeezed into such a small shop with very freindly and helpful staff a must if you are in the area

between the two i have well and truely spent my holiday money only a day into the trip :lol:

I was a little disappointed with the selection at the NRM especially as they have a few nice display cabinets with hornby / bachman offerings in while walking round i assumed they would be in the shop but they only had a few of the railroad range - i guess they sell well for the kids though

Also popped into the model shop in Pickering which was bigger then i was expecting but on the expensive side - as was the pickering model show traders but really enjoyed looking around the layouts

only downside so far is the other half is planning a few cloths shopping trips as payback :lol: