Latest Bachmann prototype Deltic

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
VonkeyVong

Latest Bachmann prototype Deltic

Post by VonkeyVong »

I have just ordered the latest Bachmann NRM Deltic prototype.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/model-r ... ecials.htm

They describe it as being modeled on the locomotive as it appeared in service, and go on to say that it has livery variations? Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the livery as it was when in service and now in preservation.

Have to say I am looking forward to getting it and lining it up with my Heljan Lion, Falcon and DP2.

Next addition to this experimental fleet will be the LMS 10000 or 10001 in BR livery when Bachmann release them.
Bigmet

Re: Latest Bachmann prototype Deltic

Post by Bigmet »

When in service is the question.

The preserved form which was the original NRM issue is a perfect match for pictures of it in service on the ECML 1959/60 - just what I wanted for my modelling.

It had a slightly different paint treatment when introduced in 1955: http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0221.htm notice the coloured stripe matching the body side cheat lines on the cant rail dividing the roof grey from the blue bodyside, also the crimson above the fuel tanks. Colour images are in short supply for its LMR service, but these features definitely persisted for much of it.

Lovely model, and I may just be tempted to get this version too.
TK421

Post by TK421 »

It's the livery when it worked on the ECML from what I understand the blue is a lighter shade than what it is in it's preserved condition.

I've also ordered one of these and according to the moddeling press there will be a 1000 of these produced including very limited numbers of dcc fitted, dcc sound and weathered variants. After that NRM have said it will be a very long time until they consider rleasing the model again, so act fast if you don't want to pay up to the ebay bandits.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!
VonkeyVong

Post by VonkeyVong »

My pre order arrived today, fantastic model and well worth the extra money.

Will post some pictures if I get chance.
6C

Post by 6C »

TK421 wrote:It's the livery when it worked on the ECML from what I understand the blue is a lighter shade than what it is in it's preserved condition.

I've also ordered one of these and according to the moddeling press there will be a 1000 of these produced including very limited numbers of dcc fitted, dcc sound and weathered variants. After that NRM have said it will be a very long time until they consider rleasing the model again, so act fast if you don't want to pay up to the ebay bandits.
Think it was only two differences in colour of the cant rail and the deletion of the maroon tank top, when running on the ECML.
The blue was the same - and did not weather well when the loco was on intensive diagrams and could not be regularly cleaned.

Thanks for the link to the photo Bigmet - doesn't it look gorgeous.... 8)
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Mine arrived Saturday. :D
Back to Locomotion today :( - no pickups on one bogie
TK421

Post by TK421 »

dubdee1000 wrote:Mine arrived Saturday. :D
Back to Locomotion today :( - no pickups on one bogie
So did mine :D
except i was at work and my wife missed the postman can't collect until thursday now :(
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

And it's back again! Now available via the Locomotion Models website, in limited numbers (according to BRM, 250 for the standard, DCC-ready non-weathered variant; 100 for the DCC-ready weathered variant; and 150 for the DCC sound-fitted variant). Prices start at £130 for the standard model; this strikes me as extremely good value, given the limited numbers and sheer desirability of the thing. Having been soundly kicking myself ever since the last run sold out, I have of course succumbed to temptation. :D

It will look awfully good at the head of a long rake of blood-and-custard Mk1s. Fortunately I have such a thing :D
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If you are operating your DP1 representing its regular service on the ECML, this didn't start until early 1959; and the London-Leeds express services it principally worked were dominated by maroon liveried coaches. The usual mixture of Gresley, Thompson and mk1 as was the customary style on ER at the time. The best colour photos of it in action 1959 - 1961 in ECML service that I have collected over the years, show maroon liveried coaches only.

But as ever, your layout, your rules.
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

A word of warning that the DELTIC needs well maintained (ie FLAT) track, but does look great.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Am I correct to suggest its cheaper than the 2011 release?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dunno. But at £130 for the pristine, that's not a huge advance from the £100 I paid back in early 2008 for the first releases, considering how prices generally have risen since then.

For comparison, for a similarly well regarded model like Hornby's class 60, the advertised price in winter 2008 was £75. If you can find a retailer with a new Hornby 60 on the shelf now, I would guess the price would not be much different from £130.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Magnificent there Marlin