Hornby P2 #2001 "C0ck of the North"

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Phipps

Re: Hornby P2 #2001 "C0ck of the North"

Post by Phipps »

Anyone who feels ambitious enough will find that PDK models do a brass kit of the P2/2 "streak" variant...Now to learn how to assemble a brass kit.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Liz (Preston Transport Models) over at eBay name 'kitlady' has the Railroad P2 for GBP83.00. I could not force myself to get one.

Tim
Bosstang

Post by Bosstang »

Finally got mine, had a call from my local shop to say they had finally arrived, and what a beautiful model it is, almost up to super-detail standards.
The little detail pack contains the pipes that go under the cylinders and front steps, and vacuum pipes, these were all fitted but the little pipes I trimmed down a little to allow full movement of the front wheels when it turns, it negotiates the curves on my layout without any trouble, even the tightest curves in the yard which some other pacifics struggle with.
On a power test it is extremely strong, only my Hornby 9F being equal to it ( although the 9F has had considerable weight added to it to increase its traction ).
Very pleased with this new addition to my collection, very unusual loco and a very good model, great value to as I paid £73 for it.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Who is going to be first to post photos ? from all I've heard, it looks like Hornby has a winner in terms of value -v- quality.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I've watched the Hornby promotional video of the P2 with TT sound and thought it was awful. The loco' itself looked ok, but the sound was in my view abysmal. It wasn't helped by the fact that it must have been doing about 180 scale mph around set track curves. To have a wheel slip function when the wheels plainly ain't slipping does absolutely nothing to add realism.

Just my thoughts.
Pete.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

OK who'll be first to fit a solenoid operated jacking system to relieve the driving wheels of the weight when wheelslip is called up?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Well, I bit the bullet and overlooked the 'design clever' engineering 'features' and after viewing a few reviews I decided that even though I did not need one, nor particularly want one, I saw a loco at an irresistible price, $140.00 including postage downunder. For that price I knew that I would kick myself over and over if I did not get one.

Now, with no pre-BR days LNER livery coaches to run with it, will it become a 'heritage' model? No doubt #2007 will come along one day from the Tornado Trust, so perhaps a little artisitic licence will be employed. Lashing out on six or so high detail teak coaches could prove very expensive indeed.

The model reviews actually surprised me as considering the shortcomings in the drive, Hornby excelled itself in the superstructure, presenting basically a super detailed body with a Railroad tag. I am amazed at the amount of added detail, rather than the moulded detail direction that Hornby seemed destined to follow.

When one sees the quality of the Railroad version then why pay for a Premium model? Are etched plates that important?

Tim
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

GWR_fan wrote: When one sees the quality of the Railroad version then why pay for a Premium model? Are etched plates that important?
The Railroad one's great if you like to do your own lining.
Out of the box though, it doesn't look right plain.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Granted the model as tested in the December BRM review does have more lining than the Railroad release. It has white painted grabrails, white lining additional to the Railroad model around the smokebox cowling, washout plugs and cab, plus piping painted gold/brass. If the P2 was a locomotive that I simply had to have RTR at all cost then yes the premium version is well detailed and would look the centrepiece in a glass display cabinet. However, for the typical modeller who simply wants to add a P2 to his roster, I feel that the Railroad version will suit admirably the task at hand.

Mechanically it is the same model. While I could not line the cab sides, I could quite easily detail a Railroad version in white or gold, some of the prepainted items as seen on the premium model. The Railroad model will not suit the fastidious collector or the diehard LNER fan, but for me a novice in all things LNER, the Railroad P2 looks OK. Hornby have I feel listened to the criticism of the design clever philosophy and decided to show that a decent looking model is possible at a reasonable price. The amount that I paid for mine is $10.00 less than the current price my dealer is selling the Railroad Flying Scotsman or the later 9F "**** of the North".

Edit: if a premium model comes along at a 'good' price then I could be tempted.

Tim
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Without being pedantic as regards livery, one wonders where Hornby drew inspiration for the livery on their premium model. I searched numerous images and if one thing is evident it is that the black in the white lining is more prominent than what Hornby has modelled. I only found two images that showed the prominence of white lining, with one showing a white lined cab and a Marklin model from the 1930's showing the smokebox cowling edges lined.

Of cause not many coloured photographs are available but even from the black and white photographs, few detail the grabrails as white. I feel that Hornby has simply expanded on current LNER livery on their models and applied it to P2. Is the premium livery that accurate? It seems that possibly the loco was 'tarted up' at times for publicity shots. Was this tarted up livery an inservice livery or just for the camera. Black and white photographs depict a far less 'showy' livery. Later streamlined P2's were definately more elaborate in their livery.

I feel that Hornby have over emphasised the use of white in the livery. A builder's photograph does depict a white lined livery, however, the black lining in the white band is more prominent than modelled. Photographs depict a black band at the boiler/cab intersection whereas Hornby have it prominently white lined. Similarly the black lining on the tender sides on the prototype is very prominent.

The builder's photographs are definately more elaborately lined in livery than the more basic Railroad livery, but from looking at numerous black and white photographs, I feel the Railroad livery captures the inservice livery and not a staged publicity viewing for the cameras.

If the premium model had the black lining more prominent then I would be happy with that, however, Hornby portray the black lining as more subdued.

Tim
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

I've seen two identical b/w photos of 2001 & neither seems to have it with all the really prominent detail.But, it does have lining around the smoke deflectors, under drivers front window & around the tender edges. Seems some paint might be needed for the cabside numbers & LNER letters.
I weakened today & after dropping my kids off in Holt, I stopped in at Bure Valley Railway shop.
£78 later & I have the R3171 railroad version.
Its heavy, has nice seperately fitted parts, a few details you can add yourself & a plethora of detailing that begs to be picked out with paints.
Ok, several years back, a fully detailed A4 or 7MT could be bought for this amount, but I'm satisfied with it.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I agree that some additional paint detailing would lift the model. Awaiting delivery on mine, I picked up some white, satin black and brass paint. I intend detailing the washout plugs and the brass piping on the 'lubricator???' (if that is what it is on the running plate). I may try edging the smokebox cowling in white as well as the grabrails, although I do not see the necessity to paint the major handrailing each side.

Tim
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Does anyone have a link to pics of the more detailed version (assuming Hornby have made promos available? )
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

Phipps wrote:Does anyone have a link to pics of the more detailed version (assuming Hornby have made promos available? )
http://www.hornby.com/lner-2-8-2-****-o ... class.html

I'd pay the extra forty quid rather than do all that lining in OO :)
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

SirMeliot wrote:
Phipps wrote:Does anyone have a link to pics of the more detailed version (assuming Hornby have made promos available? )
http://www.hornby.com/lner-2-8-2-****-o ... class.html

I'd pay the extra forty quid rather than do all that lining in OO :)
Oh lining isn't too bad in OO:

Especially considering the lining on the wheel splashers are all from straight lines. I certainly would do it to save £40, but I definitely do not need another LNER heavy express loco on my Ex-LSWR heritage railway!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.