Hornby P2 #2001 "C0ck of the North"

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
skyblue

Re: Hornby P2 #2001 "C0ck of the North"

Post by skyblue »

That looks fantastic fs123! Any chance of more pictures of it?
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

My favourite UK dealer just listed the fully lined P2. The site uses stock manufacturer's photographs (with permission). Surprisingly, the P2 is missing the left hand slide bar so the crosshead/piston rod hangs down at around a 30 degree angle. Surely Hornby should have picked this up pre-release.

Edit: further reviewing the Hornby prerelease image of the fully lined P2 locomotive the return crank is on the outside of the Crossi valve gear moulding (it should be obscured behind the moulding).

Tim
Last edited by GWR_fan on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

One thing I spotted.It seems MRD can't sell their R3207 models online.
I decided that if I am adding more detail, I will use my LNER transfers from Fox, just to enhance it a bit more.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

A video of the main range version (R3207) on the SWHMRS test track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phyttkFEVKo

In general I am moderately pleased with the model. A few niggles though, the main two being the tender drawbar is either too short or far too long. One setting doesn't go around bends and the other looks ridiculous.

The other issue is that there is no low-speed performance on my example. If you gently add power there is no movement until it suddenly springs off. I'll have to run it in like there is no tomorrow I think.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Peter,
surprisingly, the thing that does impress with my example is the extremely smooth low speed operation.

Tim
Black-Marlin

Re: Hornby P2 #2001 "C**k of the North"

Post by Black-Marlin »

Bigmet wrote:Hornby have run out of named 'big engines' to add to their range, this is the last candidate
Not quite the last. I know it seems fanciful, but there is one further class of big named engines. I wouldn't have suggested it even two years ago, but now who can say? (And especially with DJ Models starting up and taking a look at the NER...)

I refer, of course, to the Raven A2 pacifics. Like the P2, a short working life, although with a larger range of liveries available. I doubt they'd sell in bulk volume, but stranger things have happened...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That was intended to be slightly provocative. Add the Bulleid air smoothed MN pacific, and Thompson's various pacifics to the list, all lack RTR models and saw service in BR operation. I suspect they would sell, though not in A3/A4 numbers.

Then there are atlantics, and the best of the NER designs outlasted the Raven pacifics. Once the GNR/LNER C1 and the LBSCR copy are on sale it will be interesting to see if the GCR, NBR and NER types get a look in as RTR models. The NBR atlantics carried a very unusual umber livery, and were named (some good names too that were perpetuated - 'stolen' in some cases - on later locos) while the NER Z /LNER C7 is as handsome a loco as you are ever likely to see.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Bigmet wrote:Once the GNR/LNER C1 and the LBSCR copy are on sale...
Are you thinking of pre-ordering from the NRM? (I really want one - and I have learned the lesson of the Prototype Deltic, which is that if you want one, you really, really need to get in at the start!)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

No hesitation here, ordered on day of announcement. I built a C1 in the long ago and subsequently sold it; not an easy model to make into a good runner with the resources then available. It will fill a gap in my own OO museum of the Doncaster development line. Just leaves the Sturrock 4-2-2 to be made: that'll have to be a scratchbuild.

A good RTR model for a difficult subject like this is a gift as far as I am concerned. I'll likely buy the LBSCR atlantic too, when a decent s/h opportunity offers, as material for 'bashing' into a fully modernised LNER C1/1 with V2 style windcutter cab, modern cylinders, single Kylchap ejector and outside valve gear.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Magnificent! I think my Dad is considering getting a TTS release sometime.
Whilst not cheap, he wants just one sound-enabled steam loco & loves this.
Part of the reason is how easy he found putting a Mikado arranged loco as opposed to a Pacific on a piece of track. Same thing applies to a 9F, as the twin-axle pony truck can be frustrating with his limited eyesight . I dont think he cares too much about the cost.

UPDATE- I managed to find him the R3246TTS version for £135!!
They have two in a shop not too far from me. As a bonus, a lot of basics he wants from Hattons they said they would price-match, as he's buying about £450 including the P2.
I know he liked my basic RR model but wants just one sound steamer.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

To my pleasant surprise Rails had this item back in stock in the Railroad version. I believed it to be sold out everywhere. I do not know if uncovered in a stocktaking, or if a rerun from Hornby. I decided on a spare to squirrel away should it be needed. No doubt one of Hornby's success stories (even with its design shortcomings).

Edit: an eBay search shows that Hornby was anticipating a new delivery in mid-August, 2015. It will be interesting to see if any changes from the earlier release regarding quality/design. I was very pleased with the performance of my earlier P2, as smooth as silk (unlike it seems many premium range models).
PanzerJohn

Post by PanzerJohn »

My premium range one runs just fine.The detail and quality of the paintwork is stunning. I am looking forward to the version with the A4 front end.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

PanzerJohn wrote:...I am looking forward to the version with the A4 front end.
I suppose Hornby had to go for maximum sales by offering the 'first thoughts' initially, and only once all demand is satisfied then bring out the final versions which are so much better looking. In this form they were superior for the footplate crew, as the improvement in exhaust clearance already proven on the A4s, helped in the vital task of sighting the signals.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

The weight at the front end is shaped to fit inside a streamlined casing... no doubt one will be along shortly... :wink: