3D Printing: Projects

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
mattmay05

3D Printing: Projects

Post by mattmay05 »

3D Printing – Metropolitan Chesham Coaches, 4mm/OO

Back in February, I started a project to replace my original kit bashed Ratio suburban coaches which I made to look like Metropolitan Coaches those on the Bluebell Railway…
With my skills developing and getting slightly better every time I do something, the old coaches which are now 4 – 5 years old now look out of place with other high detailed items around them, so it was time to sell them on, and look at replacing the set.

Chesham Coach Sets were usually in sets of 3… and typically the Bluebell has 4. Not sure how that came about but there you have it.

There’s only one kit manufacturer I know of who do these coaches and that’s London Road Models, problem is they have produced the last rebuild version of the Met coaches, so wouldn’t suit what I require, which is 1900’s condition when they were first built.

3D Printing / Designing:

So the option I had was to scratch build or to look in to 3D design and eventually 3D printing. It was going to be a challenge for me as I never really accepted CAD, or 3D modelling when at school I always felt it was taking a way a skill of technical drawing…. But for this I can see advantages.
Quite a few have used 3D printing to make coaches, loco bodies, bogies, and other small items… Its mainly used for rapid prototyping, but its now become very good for modelling.

Using a free internet piece of software, Google Sketch up I set to work on producing the coaches, I used initially the side coach drawings on the Bluebell’s website, and used them as a base to draw from.
I was originally going to make them as Kits, 2 sides, 2 ends, and an Under frame… with bogies (if I could find any) from a rtr coach. As I will say later… there’s not many coaches that have a 28mm (7ft) wheelbase on the bogie.

So now Im looking at printing the bogies as well, which is my sticking point, as I have run out of skill, so if anyone can help let me know :)

Later once I started to understand how the program work I managed to make the tumblehome part of the body, for those not familiar with this, this is where the coach body starts to narrow towards the base, and has a slight inward curve.

So for each coach I had 2 ends, and 2 sides, which could be put together on the program, to date I now have all 4 coaches pretty much designed with small tweaks and details to be done.

Here’s some latest shots of the 3D coach bodies.

Buffers a work in progress still not complete.

Underframe:
Designed in a similar way to a Hornby chassis, with a recessed central section to carry the weight, similar weights that I have used on my kit built wagons, the base should be able to hold 20grams of weight. Heres sine shots of the development of the underframe:

And the chassis on the base of the all 3rd model.

I would like to say thanks to Nathan Gibson for the assistance on the 3D modelling side of things, and help with the buffers, and Tom Waghorn, who took quite a few pictures of the underframes and bogies. Thanks for the help so far, its much appreciated.
Last edited by mattmay05 on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
mattmay05

Re: 3D Printing – Metropolitan Chesham Coaches, 4mm/OO

Post by mattmay05 »

Thought I would share these latest images, of the bogies, that have been drawn up over the last few nights.

I believe there are still problems with these at the moment, around the axle boxes, and curved surfaces, which I will have to seek some sort of help on, as mentioned I have no idea what I am doing... So any help or assistance, or checking if these models are ok, I would be extremely grateful.

I have made 2 types of bogies, 1 with a NEM pocket... hopefully at the right height, these are for the end coaches to attach to the loco.
The other has no NEM pocket these are for the center coaches, which I hope will be linked via a type of draw bar arrangement.

GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Absolutely astonishing work and all self taught. It is fine having facilities like CAD and 3-D printers, but to be of assistance one needs the knowlege to use the programs. I sit in awe at what you have done so far.

I believe it was you also who did the 3-D printed London underground locomotive. Also a brilliant piece of work.

Tim
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks sadly alot of work still needed, this is self taught yes but the program I use, Google sketchup has its limits. and Im starting to hit those limits.
These and the coach bodies were started in January.

Im afraid not no the Met Loco, was Oliver SR I had no part in that one.
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

mattmay05 wrote:Thanks sadly alot of work still needed, this is self taught yes but the program I use, Google sketchup has its limits. and Im starting to hit those limits.
These and the coach bodies were started in January.

Im afraid not no the Met Loco, was Oliver SR I had no part in that one.
for self taught though, that's astounding I have tried several times to use sketchup, and usually get frustrated and give in, I need to try again don't I ?
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thank you, sketchup is one of the easier simple programs to use, as i say it has its limits the free version which is where im now having trouble, I've had a very kind person make some roof vents for me and comparing his work to mine.... I wouldn't even bother looking at mine, problem is i have an awesome looking roof vent and a crap looking coach lol.

I think i went down the wrong road really maybe should of got a group of guys together and work between us... At the moment i don't see any of it being printed.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

looks great to me, i think with google sketchup, you either get it or you don't, and i think you do! i'm fairly good at it as well (so I'm told) i might have to look into 3d printing, there is one in DT block at school, but i'd have to do the whole process, rather than just the google sketchup models :?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

its not easy, doing a model on the computer is one thing, getting it suitable for printing is another, and something i do not know. for that reason i don't think these will be ever printed, they have too many faults.
buz

Post by buz »

Hi mattmay05
I would have thought a test piece or two and correction assistance from the printer would be part of the cost.
These things are never right first time.
Like you say sometimes it takes more than one person to get these things right.
if they ever do go to print PM me.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Some companies offer assistance and others don't you only find out when you print it. At the moment im in discussion with a 3D modeller who has more knowledge than i do on the design and whats needed. At the moment printing is a way off, but shall see what can be done. When they are ready it will be posted here.
noel

Post by noel »

+

Think about how much you would spend on a new loco, £100-£150 - and that buys a lot of help
from a professional CAD person, getting your coach body to a print stage.

+
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Nahh i don't spend money on locos, I've now got a team in place, i feel that the amount for the amount already done is too much, thats why i don't like to ask professional CAD people as the have no idea what it is om trying to do. Plus im not in a rush.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Trying to Assemble again a team of guys with 3D Design experience with knowledge of 3D printing.
If interested please follow instructions on the bottom of the poster.

apx068

Post by apx068 »

Hi there,
I'm impressed at the design work you've put into this. The rendered images look rather good.

There's a whole movement out there promoting 3D printing and various similar small scale manufacturing. Do a Google search on "Fab Lab".
There's a list of some of the FabLabs online here http://wiki.fablab.is/wiki/Portal:Labs but there are others.

Have a look at these as I think it'd be the way forward for you.
Good luck,
Jason
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks sadly... looks can be a bit misleading... as I don't know what I am looking for... or what to do, so I have had to abandon the whole thing. Sadly won't be happening till help can be sourced.... bit difficult when there's no money involved.