3D Printing: Projects

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
mattmay05

Re: 3D Printing: Coach tops, LCDR / SECR

Post by mattmay05 »

Been a while, but I have been lining carriages, shipping orders and all sorts, but I have also been developing a new kit for my mini shop.

So many years ago, my first scratch build of Captain Baxter using a L&Y Pug chassis and running plate.
since then, it's been 3D printed countless times and has been sold on Shapeways for a fair few years, prices have been increasing so have decided to remove it from sale and try to redesign and improve for Baxter v3.5

The whole design was started from scratch, and areas improved, from smokebox, to Chimney, to shape of sandboxes, more rivet detail, additional separate details like Buffers, Springs, Steps, Cylinder block, motion bracket... but the issue mainly for Pugs is that motor, sitting in the cab, not much of an issue on a Pug as it's quite enclosed... however on Baxter the cab back is very open.
So having a flash of inspiration at 3am in the morning, I had an idea (all be it not tested yet) coreless motor, and flywheel, covered with a back-head.

So I have made several options for the cylinders, depending on what people want to do, or use, options are using what was already there off the Pug, or OO9 slide bars from RT model.

I have attached some photos below of progress, part 1 of instructions are on my Youtube channel, as I am still working on the body shell.

Prototype kit on show above

- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

A slightly modified kit, slightly different body shell.
There will be some more small changes mainly front steps being moved forwards, Rear cab plate, cylinders, cylinder covers, and Motion bracket, and roof inside.

Meanwhile on Baxter B spec, more dreaming how far I can push a Pug chassis, the wheels on a pug are 3ft, on Baxter 3ft 6" so I thought I would have a try... Still finding the right red to use for the body shell.

Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Excellent work though. I am impressed.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks Mountain, Appreciate the comments.

I have now completed the prototype B spec, with custom transfers and skillfully produced by Precision Labels, excellent job went above and beyond my original request.

mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks to the New modellers website I have managed to get back in so thanks to them, after several attempts to get a password reset or a member of the admin team to contact me... :?

Anyway sorted now... on with the weirdness... :D

As I got very bored one day I had another of Bulleids odd designs or were never built, this one was a Q1, tank engine...
using 3D printing to develop and make, as a few others wanted one... so I have produced 2 versions, one closer to the original design, and one with a few changes.

So this was the drawing:

The two designs:

I went with the second, although the first I feel would probably be more workable in terms of visibility.
Using parts from RT models, and Comet for the bogie and wheels, transfers from HMRS... and a rattle can from halfords.
Project photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebellm ... 0307774852

Next up will be something over the winter and autumn, using an N15.
End2end

Re: 3D Printing: Projects

Post by End2end »

Magnificent work mattmay!
I hadn't seen the red loco either. The finished loco looks stunning.

If you find yourself "very bored" again.... no one makes unique Cornish walls. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Like the 0-6-4T model, that'll puzzle a good many that see it. Definitely a better idea than the Leader which got as far as a first in class build.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Bigmet wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:00 pm Like the 0-6-4T model, that'll puzzle a good many that see it. Definitely a better idea than the Leader which got as far as a first in class build.
Thank you, yeas but Leader I see the thinking behind it, but I think some of it's more odd features and much steam leakage was it's downfall, however scaled down the turf or peat burner in Ireland was a mini scaled down version which did work quite well... Riddle even supported the Leader project... which seems a bit odd but that's what he says in the book I am reading... prepping for KR models release.. either way its fascinating.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

End2end wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:52 pm Magnificent work mattmay!
I hadn't seen the red loco either. The finished loco looks stunning.

If you find yourself "very bored" again.... no one makes unique Cornish walls. :D
Thanks
End2end
Thank you, yes finished for a while that one, proven quite popular too, my transfer guy must hate me lol, that little tank has so much lining on it and in odd colours as well, off white pink, black and shiny plates ect it was fun and pushed the limits on an old chassis, but thought I would go all in. firebox flicker too lol

I will add unique cornish walls to my list lol my ever growing list lol :lol:
End2end

Post by End2end »

I hope you've got a list that list is on. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Phred

Post by Phred »

Exemplary work! The process is quite beyond me, but the end results are beautiful. :)
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Your Baxter is delightful. It's a shame that that Southern tank was never built, too.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

There was something about the 0-6-4T that nagged at me, and the penny has now dropped. That's Bulleid's uprate of the Gresley N2 0-6-2T, (Big Met tank) a comparison of the weights diagrams makes it very clear: with the proven weight saving of the austerity design, we can have at least 50% more continuous power output from the larger grate and higher pressure boiler. The slight puzzle is why a rear bogie; Gresley had 14T 3cwt on the trailing truck wheelset, and the weight saving of a wheelset and half the bogie frame would reduce the weight on a single wheelset by at least 2T.

It was a design without a purpose though. Use the power potential of that Q1 tank, and the coal wouldn't last a full shift, and there would have to be regular watering. Fine for short distance 'peak hours' inner sub use, but the SR already had all the short haul suburban traffic covered by electrification.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Bigmet wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:44 pm There was something about the 0-6-4T that nagged at me, and the penny has now dropped. That's Bulleid's uprate of the Gresley N2 0-6-2T, (Big Met tank) a comparison of the weights diagrams makes it very clear: with the proven weight saving of the austerity design, we can have at least 50% more continuous power output from the larger grate and higher pressure boiler. The slight puzzle is why a rear bogie; Gresley had 14T 3cwt on the trailing truck wheelset, and the weight saving of a wheelset and half the bogie frame would reduce the weight on a single wheelset by at least 2T.

It was a design without a purpose though. Use the power potential of that Q1 tank, and the coal wouldn't last a full shift, and there would have to be regular watering. Fine for short distance 'peak hours' inner sub use, but the SR already had all the short haul suburban traffic covered by electrification.
You must remember that the Southern, really hadn't had any real new or different locomotives for some years, express engines were what Lord Nelsons, N15's, Schools...
In terms of freight or short distance which as there's no writing on this design at all, we can only guess if it was destined to do short haul freight or passenger who knows, as it was never built... which is the fun of it. As Bulleid worked under Gresley, which is evident during his first designs of the merchant Navy, from 4-8-2 to 2-8-2 which I must get round to doing when I find an old P2 at a decent price...

You do forget the Q1 had terrible breaks lol so it would be probably no good on a stopping service.

However if you do look at the routes of the design there are bits that were carried over, the standard 4 tanks bunker is very similar... so maybe something or some parts of it did/possibly get carried over but who knows.

End of the day it's a model a bit of fun... at least I didn't build or modify a 5 inch gauge Q1 in to a tank like someone else did :lol:
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Lysander wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:08 am Your Baxter is delightful. It's a shame that that Southern tank was never built, too.

Tony
Thanks Tony much appreciated it was good fun to do a third version which shows progression over the years.