Hornby Class 47 Noise when pulling away

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Daniel11

Hornby Class 47 Noise when pulling away

Postby Daniel11 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi,
I bought a Class 47 from a model railway show earlier today and it ran fine for a bit. Now it makes a noise like wheelslip when it pulls away even without any coaches! Could it be a gearing problem? The strange thing is that it is fine once it gets going.
Does anyone know the causes/remedies for this problem?
Thanks
Daniel11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

Leader

Re: Hornby Class 47 Noise when pulling away

Postby Leader » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:21 pm

It is likely that the pinion gear on the armature shaft is slipping. Some of those used were manufactured in aluminium, which not a suitable material for a force fit on a plain shaft. If you are able to change the gear, which will require some degree of engineering expertise, then I can supply you with a brass gear.

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 pm

It's getting worse. :( I can't see any damage to the central gear. Now the sound has gone to a more high pitched whine.
Please help. I only bought this loco today and I don't know what the stall I bought it from was called as they gave me no receipt. :(
I spent a whole week delivering papers to pay for it.
Thanks Daniel11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:22 pm

It might just need a couple of tiny drops of oil on the motor shaft.

I am assuming this is the ringfield type motor. These motor bearings often squeal if they have not been lubricated for a while.

Apply 1 drop, applied with a small straightened out paper clip or similar sized piece of wire, on the shaft bearing at the back of the motor and one on the front of the motor just behind the small drive gear.

trooper

Postby trooper » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Daniel11 wrote:It's getting worse. :( I can't see any damage to the central gear. Now the sound has gone to a more high pitched whine.
Please help. I only bought this loco today and I don't know what the stall I bought it from was called as they gave me no receipt. :(
I spent a whole week delivering papers to pay for it.
Thanks Daniel11

it is NOT terminal a £5.00 fix will cure it. Ask your local model shop to change the gear to a brass one--it is a five minute job and not rocket science.
Carrying on

trooper

Postby trooper » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Leader wrote:It is likely that the pinion gear on the armature shaft is slipping. Some of those used were manufactured in aluminium, which not a suitable material for a force fit on a plain shaft. If you are able to change the gear, which will require some degree of engineering expertise, then I can supply you with a brass gear.

A punch and a small hammer five minutes and bingo you have cured the problem. Not extreme engineering by any means
Carrying on

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I think the OP is still at school so it could well be beyond his ability to fix it. I myself have never fixed a locomotive before and to be honest wouldn't know where to begin either.
All Aboooooard !!

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks.
I have just made an interesting discovery. I have an old class 47 that does not work in the loft and it has a gold gear instead of a silver one. Is it brass?
Also what oil would I use to lubricate the motor shaft? Cycle oil? Or do I need to buy some proper model stuff?
Thanks Daniel11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:37 pm

There is no edit button. :evil:
Also how would I get the old gear off and the new one on?
Thanks
Daniel 11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 pm

You should really use a proper model oil as it is the correct grade of oil for the job but a tiny drop of cycle oil could be used just this once to see if it helps.

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Quite likely the aluminium gear is a loose fit anyway and should simply lever off with just the tip of a small screwdriver. Installing the brass gear generally involves removing the motor block from the bogie frame and then removing the carbon brush retainers, brushes and springs. A very delicate hand is needed or the springs will simply fly off and vanish into thin air. The armature cover plate is then removed and a small vyce used to compress the gear onto the shaft leaving a very small amount of end play under the gear when pushed home. Reassembly and lubrication are then required.

A high pitch whine usually indicates what is termed a dry bearing and the noise is caused by the bearing itself spinning in the motor housing. That is, the bearing is seemingly stuck to the armature shaft, so instead of the shaft turning in the bearing, the bearing itself is turning in the housing. I suggest taking the locomotive back to the seller and advising the situation. Ideally a replacement motor housing and brass drive gear are required.

Tim

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am

Ok.
I will try some oil tonight and if that doesn't work I will have it repaired.
Thanks Daniel11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”