Cash Convertors/Generator and the like

What do you want from a model railway shop?
thomas the plank engine

Cash Convertors/Generator and the like

Post by thomas the plank engine »

Have a look at your local Cash Convertors and what ever they call themselves in your local area. You might be surprised at what comes in. I have seen some seriously good and normally exspensive Bachmann loco's and rolling stock up for grabs are very competitive prices and cheaper than what you will find at toy fairs and the like for secondhand stock.

Ian
00 garden railways rule

My web site
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 3c90e078aa
TK421

Re: Cash Convertors/Generator and the like

Post by TK421 »

I do see these guys put models on ebay occasionaly what puts me off is they don't have a clue what they're selling so I don't really know what's wrong with it (if anything).
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Same advice as for Swapmeets. Take a PP3/PP9 9 volt battery (the ones with press studs for terminals) press the terminals to the wheels. You should get some sort of movement even if it's got a decoder in it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
poliss

Post by poliss »

Whenever I've seen models in my local cash converters they've always been priced way to high.
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

poliss wrote:Whenever I've seen models in my local cash converters they've always been priced way to high.
My local had two Farish HST sets in GNER livery (the DCC ready version) for £40 each
When I went in and asked if I could test them, they said no sold as seen...
A bit of a gamble if they weren't working
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

I'd be inclined to agree with m8internet.If the shop assistant isn't willing to let you test the item,then simply walk away.If they were selling you a car,you'd be entitled to a test drive,so why not be allowed to test & inspect what you're interested in purchasing? Something to hide perhaps? If any doubt,walk straight out......
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

i think it more likely they are inept and clueless, rather than malicious desception :-)
our local cash shop will let you test anything if you ask.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
Shaun Wilson

Post by Shaun Wilson »

hiffano wrote:our local cash shop will let you test anything if you ask.
wish my local shop would, that blond behind the counter is stunning. :D
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Shaun Wilson wrote:
hiffano wrote:our local cash shop will let you test anything if you ask.
wish my local shop would, that blond behind the counter is stunning. :D
Come, Come now, it is a Pawn shop, not one that sounds similar (as in Hardcore Pawn on TV)
:lol:
Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

That's a good idea, I never thought of that, the cash shop in cheltenham isn't too far from the model shop so will pay a visit next time I go, I always like to see anything second hand working if possible, the model shop always obliges, but I take a gamble on ebay, which is y I only buy bargains :D
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Not all, but most items would have been shoplifted or stolen, hate to be cynical on this, but in the fellowships i move in, names such as 'Hash-Converters' and 'Crack-Converter's tend to do the rounds whenever anyone talks about how they used to fund their expensive habits. However, it's down to them to buy stuff off people responsibly, so if it's in the window, or behind the bullet-proof glass, then it's fair play i suppose. But yeah, if your house/shed/garage/club room ever gets done over, and hopefully you have proof of ownership of your stuff, make a bee-line for Hash-Converters... cause the chances are, that's what the thieving tykes have done or plan to do, mark my words.

Chris P
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I haven't seen much railway stuff in the Cash Converters near to me. I did see a Smokey Joe and a brake van in there once for about a tenner each. No idea of the condition of them though.
Dysonsphere

Post by Dysonsphere »

Having tried cash convertors everything seems over priced. What they ask for second hand computers is criminal.
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

Dysonsphere wrote:Having tried cash convertors everything seems over priced. What they ask for second hand computers is criminal.
They all are. I wouldn't pay over the odds for what is effectively an out dated PC, when for a little more, you can buy new up to-date .
Jill the stationcat

Post by Jill the stationcat »

Terrier wrote:Not all, but most items would have been shoplifted or stolen, hate to be cynical on this, but in the fellowships i move in, names such as 'Hash-Converters' and 'Crack-Converter's tend to do the rounds whenever anyone talks about how they used to fund their expensive habits. However, it's down to them to buy stuff off people responsibly, so if it's in the window, or behind the bullet-proof glass, then it's fair play i suppose. But yeah, if your house/shed/garage/club room ever gets done over, and hopefully you have proof of ownership of your stuff, make a bee-line for Hash-Converters... cause the chances are, that's what the thieving tykes have done or plan to do, mark my words.

Chris P
Many years ago I stayed close to a town which had a Saturday 'market'. It was a standing joke* that if you asked 'certain stall holders' if they had xyz for sale the answer was along the lines of 'come back next weekend and I'll get it for you....and they evidently usually did (*it is alleged, as I never tested it :D )

So also try the local carpark markets/car boot sales as well!