Kernow Model Rail Centre

What do you want from a model railway shop?
fatmac

Kernow Model Rail Centre

Post by fatmac »

As in my other post, I am a returnee, having chosen 'O' gauge 7mm because of the Ixion 0-6-0 ST.

My first order from Kernow arrived promptly enough, but it contained re priced old stock, one item from £86.90 to £95.30.

(Make of that what you will, but, I think I shall buy from elsewhere.)
Bufferstop

Re: Kernow Model Rail Centre

Post by Bufferstop »

Whilst I don't like the practise I can see why it happens, both intentionally and unintentionally. When done intentionally it may be sharp dealing but it does mean that the dealer can afford to keep high stock levels as you are effectively paying the price of the replacement stock. Many inventory systems work on the "current price" principle. Done unintentionally it's due to an oversimplified stock control system which only knows a single current price. The stock control systems used by the big chains know from the barcode which batch it comes from and therefore the correct price. A simplified system only knows the description and a price. An honest trader spotting that it's older stock may mark it down, but probably only to over the counter sales. If they are working on really skinny margins it can make the difference between re-stocking and not. I've not seen many on-line purchased items with a price tag. If it's from a well stocked dealer with a bricks and mortar shop there's an argument that says pay-up and try to buy over the counter, it's worth it to keep those shops in existence. I'd hate to be a model shop owner!
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
whynot

Post by whynot »

It all depends on stock turnover rates. In the mid-70s, when inflation was >20%, re-pricing stock was unlawful (if not of itself illegal), but exceptions were made for items with a turnover of less than 10 (I think) per annum. Otherwise inflation would have meant that the retailer would not be able to purchase replacement stock! Much the same now for SOME items I guess - and I expect that say an 0 scale loco not exactly a fast moving product.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Surely if the advertised price was £95.30 and the price you paid was £95.30 then there should be no issue with an old label on the box, seen it many times in places like HMV, where there could be several labels on a DVD with varying price (usually carefully appiled one on top of the other though), they could argue that the lower price could have been a temporary special offer.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Surely if the advertised price was £95.30 and the price you paid was £95.30 then there should be no issue with an old label on the box, seen it many times in places like HMV, where there could be several labels on a DVD with varying price (usually carefully appiled one on top of the other though), they could argue that the lower price could have been a temporary special offer.

Jim

Well said sir.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Would you still feel cheated if the price label agreed with the advertised price but you could tell from a batch code it was old(originally cheaper" stock? After all the trader has had money tied up in that item. Money which he may have been paying or losing interest. One of the things that killed Hornby when it was owned by Meccano was the cost of inventory. They could only maintain a steady flow of each item in a vast list by producing enormous part finished stocks. These days it's the dealer who carries that cost. Trading today has little to do with cost to produce, or what the dealer paid but it's got everything to do with "how much will they pay" and "how will I re-stock".
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
amsie

Post by amsie »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Surely if the advertised price was £95.30 and the price you paid was £95.30 then there should be no issue with an old label on the box, seen it many times in places like HMV, where there could be several labels on a DVD with varying price (usually carefully appiled one on top of the other though), they could argue that the lower price could have been a temporary special offer.

Jim
agreed.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Indeed

Obviously you were happy with the price you paid (or you wouldnt have ordered it) you said the service was good but because of this sticker you will now go elsewhere. I hope you can see how daft that sounds

Cheers

Jim
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

it happens with anything over time. inflation sees to it that everything becomes mroe expensive.
do you stop going to the petrol station because you knew it was cheaper last week? so why not re-buy from Kernow?
everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay. It's a simple maxim, if you were happy to pay what you poaid, it's past price isn't relevant to you. it is indeed a past price. admitedly, when price marking up the old label should be removed or coverd so it can not be seen again, otherwise as per retail law, it should be lowest marked price. I got a coat in Sports direct on that principle, they marked it £3, instead of £13. I got it for £3 when the manager took on board my argument :-)

as for Kernow, they have some great deals on, the train packs are great value, and they have expanded the range on them after i e-mailed em too. somehow managing to miss my era's still lol.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
whynot

Post by whynot »

"otherwise as per retail law, it should be lowest marked price. I got a coat in Sports direct on that principle, they marked it £3, instead of £13. I got it for £3 when the manager took on board my argument :-)"

You were very lucky - there is NO legal reason whatsoever that required the shop to sell it to you for the lower (or indeed any) price. A price label is simpoly an "invitation to trade".
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Exactly so Dave. Its a common misconception that traders are legally obliged to sell at the marked price but thats simply not true.

Cheers

Jim
D306Whistler

Post by D306Whistler »

I've not used KMC before, but I am going to give these guys a try in 2013 as they do have an arsenal of commissioned models that I would like to obtain for my fleet including the Imerys JIA wagons that have been made in conjunction with Dapol :). A rake of these behind a Hornby Class 60 would look slick! ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

Jim S-W wrote:Exactly so Dave. Its a common misconception that traders are legally obliged to sell at the marked price but thats simply not true.

Cheers

Jim

really, man I worked for a company for 7 years that insisted it was! doh. All those hours removing price labels or covering them in black marker. mind you.... see below.

from Q and A on retail law.

When an item is marked with two prices it is illegal for the retailer to sell you the item at the higher price. However, in some cases, the retailer can withdraw the item from sale.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

The main point is that the price is AN OFFER TO TRADE.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

What Hiffano says used to be correct. Thats no longer the case.

How old is the source for your Q&A and what is the source?

From the Trading standards website

"The buyer cannot insist that a trader sells anything at the marked price, whether or not the trader has made a mistake."

HTH

Jim