Gluing track

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
james2k

Gluing track

Post by james2k »

Hi all,

Been doing some googling and am curious as to what glue to use to glue the track down. Everything seems to point to PVA? Which is fine till you start ballasting? Surely the PVA water mix would unstick it?
Ex-Pat

Re: Gluing track

Post by Ex-Pat »

I use the PVA neat, and apply the ballast immediately the track is laid (PVA still wet) - just hoover up any surplus after 10 minutes - 2 birds with 1 stone!
james2k

Post by james2k »

I was hoping to do the ballasting at a later date. If you use neat PVA to glue the track down. Would the PVA/water mix dilute if it is set?
craw607

Post by craw607 »

I think it may loosen it slightly could you not pin track do ballasting
then remove the pins and infill the bits that have been missed.
John
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I lay the track pinning it lightly. Use Peco pins don't push them right in and bend horizontal. Test the track for any potential running problem, mark the board along the sleeper ends. Pull out the pins lift the track, spread PVA put the track back down and pin it again. Once it's set in place re-test, when I'm happy with it I dry ballast and dribble on diluted PVA. When dried I pull out the pins. It's sometimes necessary to pin points to keep them dead flat. The PVA seems to hold the points firmly enough to attach a mechanical push rod (straightened paper clips) for operating.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

The only thing I'd add to the above is to do any wiring before ballasting!
james2k

Post by james2k »

Thank you for your advice.

I am certainly doing all the wiring first. Not doing that mistake again!
RFS

Post by RFS »

I glue the track down first with neat PVA (actually Evostik woodworker adhesive as it's a bit stronger). I ballast in the normal way much later but I've never had a problem with the ballasting process causing the track to unglue itself.
Robert Smith
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

The problem with glueing the track down as you lay it, is that you have no chance to test the installation before it's fixed permanently. I pin the track temporarily using hardboard tacks, hammered between the sleepers. The wide flat head grips the sleeper and allows for minor adjustments. I then wire up and test the track and wiring for correct operation.

Liberally applying glue during ballasting will stick the track down firmly enough. The tacks can then be removed and the holes filled in with ballast. However, I use point motors attached directly to the point, whereas if you use a different method you may need to pin the points in position.
Karhedron

Post by Karhedron »

I used latex adhesive (copydex) to glue my track down. It sets a bit faster than PVA but retains a bit of flexibilty when dry which is useful. Also it is much easier to remove if you make a mistake. Latex will soften when heat is applied. I managed to lift a siding I had laid incorrectly by heating it with a hairdryer with no damage to the track.

You should have seen my wife's face when she saw what I was doing. :D
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.
To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.
To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
If PVA is used and there is a possibility of the track being lifted later on then use a PVA thats not water proof or listed as suitable for external use as this type would normally come away once set.
Also mix the water to PVA more dilute around 70 water /30 PVA. This will still bond but that bond wont be quite as strong as normal
Latex e.g. Copydex, is a great alternative use it 50/50 with water or even 60 water / 40 latex.
BTW Latex is normally cheaper to buy from a carpet flooring shop than in little tubes or small bottles as sold by many DIY stores :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
RFS

Post by RFS »

pete12345 wrote:The problem with glueing the track down as you lay it, is that you have no chance to test the installation before it's fixed permanently.
It's not a problem as, if you only put glue on every 2-3 sleepers, it's enough to hold in place including doing the ballasting. If your testing shows up an alignment problem it's easy to adjust the track by sliding a flat wallpaper stripper tool underneath the relevant piece to release it. Once you're happy with the re-alignment you can re-glue the track in situ. To do this I put blobs of PVA on a scrap piece of paper and slide it under the sleepers. This deposits glue on the underside of the sleepers and I then weight it or pin it until the glue sets.
Robert Smith
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

I guess that method would work well. The trouble arises from laying the track on a bed of glue and ballasting at the same time, as you only have a limited time in which to work and no scope for correcting things later on. I always think it's better to get the track laid and wired before doing any ballasting or other scenic jobs.