restoring trashed loco's

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
tornado64

Re: restoring trashed loco's

Post by tornado64 »

front bufferbeam detail added all bar the coupling

rear bufferbeam detail will be sparser due to required coupling clearance

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

a little detail added and first coat of yellow applied

shawplan fan grille added

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

additional work and starting to get there

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

right an explanation of work carried out so far shawplan roor grille applied after cutting out the moulded items area , shawplan lamp irons added , handrails scratch built , washer boxes scratch built ,

paint hornby br blue in acrylic with humbrol enamel 24 yellow ends airbrushed over plasticote white primer ,, then a light valejo biege sprayed lightly to centre of panels for paint fading , next the roof was masked off and a light dusting of valejo grey black was sprayed , then valejo black for exhaust marking

chassis was taken off for areas to be given a light coating of humbrol enamel rust colour , chassis replaced for a spraying of valejo earth colour to body lowers so chassis ties in

the original lima window mouldings were a little damaged by previous owner but i decided they were better options than the flushglaze i obtained ..... so out with the dremmel ,polishing pad , metal polish and spray windowleene

once fitted back in a layer of klear was brushed on to add a bit more clarity , there is still the odd mark but overall i'm still happy

jobs still to do include installing fibre optic lighting and sound and further painting /weathering !!

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

next up in line is hornbys 0-4-0 st 2X baught off internet as spares to be converted into a peckett 0-4-0 st for a future project

first off the respective bodys were hacked about to get the desired shapes

next off the extension of the saddle tank cut from the other body was cut sanded and often trial fitted to get the desired fit before liquid polying into place , also incorrect saddle tank fittings cut off

the holes that were left were plasticarded over on the inside of the body ready to accept filler

also the cab rear was cut off with a dremmel with circular saw blade , caution must be taken if blood is not to be copiously distributed around the room when the blade snatches in the metal !!! ( like i did ) :lol:

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

front half of cab now in place awful rear part of cab cut off and metal base filed flat to accept new cab build may build wooden planked floor in

Rob-B

Post by Rob-B »

Any updates on the little 040 , i have an old smokey joe with the chimny missing and was thinking of doing something with it would be nice to see how yours ends up
Rob
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

delayed a little due to work and being very ill also will resume very soon as i baught another difrent 0-4-0 body for parts
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

another body purchased for the better chimney and boiler dome to be removed and fitted to project !!

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

parts required cut out of donor body and sanded to correct profile to fit saddle tank top

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

Rob-B wrote:Any updates on the little 040 , i have an old smokey joe with the chimny missing and was thinking of doing something with it would be nice to see how yours ends up

to be honnest the proportions of the conversion are much more pleasing than hornbys offering hornbys offering is a rendition of a genuine loco but not many of them and not a particularly nice looking 0-4-0

inbox me if you simply require the chimney as i have it cut out and salvageable for your project if desired
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Great work, imagination and lateral thinking. There's a lot of fun to be had with the restoration of beaten up old locos and it's very educational :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

a little more work flooring made with planking embossed plasticard ( slaters or wills unsure ) cab sides plasticarded and filled couplings removed and buffer beams prepped but will need further shortening to give cab and front more pleasing dimensions , no plans are being bothered with just photos and judging what looks right and pleasing to the eye

pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

That's coming along nicely. With that cab arrangement I think it would look good to pair the loco with a small coal tender. I made one before for a narrow gauge loco by simply shortening an open wagon and removing one end.
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

sounds nice but the loco i'm modelling never left a small local paper mill premmises , it is for a possible idea for an exhibition layout after this i'll have another pecket to make and fancy trying my hand at the DJH andrew barclay 0-4-0 and that would be all thier locos covered