pauls paint thread

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
tornado64

pauls paint thread

Post by tornado64 »

basicaly doing a thread on all maners of painting , a little about my painting background i have worked as an industrial and automotive painter as well as industrial painter decorator , i have also been a model maker for the past 41 yrs and proffesional artist ( as well as my day job ) for the last 15 yrs also worked for a short period at an automotive paint factory

basicaly it is not intended to be a thread claiming i am the best !! or i know everything i'm not and i don't !!
or indeed claim that you ever will know everything ( you won't !!)
just intended to be full of information and tips and to chat all manners paint

first off my paints acrylics , oils , enamels and modellers acrylics , did not picture water colours as they are my lesser used medium paints probably aproach a thousand colours !!

tornado64

Re: pauls paint thread

Post by tornado64 »

so without further a do my first and one of my present projects a hornby class 47 for my layout in planning "windsor bridge " hornby loco was baught cheap for 25 quid as a previous re paint ( quite good job but will bennefit from more work ) the grey roof is incorrect as 47555 had a blue roof but decided to leave as is

first off roof vent grilles are picked out with a wash of "atellier interactives mars black " mars black has a warm reddy brown backnote ( hence "mars" black ) so therefore not as harsh as pure black so much better for this use reason being pure black would jump to the fore as it is a bolder colour than its neighbours so the colour makes it recess giving depth to the grilles ( things like this in art painting are called "colour theory " (using colours that at first sound wrong to give a better effect than the suspected colours )

also atellier interactive acrylics give 24 hrs for reworking , once the paint was applied as a thickish wash fingers were used to rub into desired areas

the nameplate was dull so was buffed a little using using 1200's wet and dry paper care must be taken and also only on metal embossed plates and not printed

tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

bogies and underframes are a work in progress , the start is a track colour brushed onto all the bogies and undersides , believing humbrols track colour was no longer available i mixed my own from 29,186and 33 to darken ( taking care not to be too dark ) mainly because dark washes will be added later as well as some dry brushing etc , axel box covers were already painted so paint was removed by finger tip to keep the effect

wheels were also taken out and painted (faces only ) there's no point painting a bogie realistic then having chrome wheels glaring at you!!

b308

Post by b308 »

That's one heck of a collection of paints! :shock:
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

collected from mid mid 70's onwards so many years collection ( dread to think of cost !!) each paint has individual uses even oil paints of the same colour can have difrent variations from difrent manufacturers , so realy i have many to add ( and all my paints are not pictured )

also you can only see those on top in the photo most boxes are 2 layers or 3 layers deep !!
Last edited by tornado64 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amsie

Post by amsie »

Thanks Paul for sharing this with us. Just seen this thread and always looking to try new things especially where detailing and weathering and painting is concerned. Will look forward to your updates.
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

cheers amsie !!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Hi Paul! This thread is right up my street, bit of an arty so'n'so myself and always interested in different techniques and what peops do with the huge variety of mediums available to the human race and us modellers. will view with great interest chap! :)

Chris P
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

may do some videos for clearer explanation may do the roof technique first as i have another hornby 47 comming for spares !!
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

ta terrier !!
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Another on keeping an eye on this thread
I have a major issue with paint mixing.... I'm colourblind!
I have to work by paint numbers as its hard for me to distinguish certain shades of reds green and browns

I notice you are not a user of Tamiya Acrylics... is there a reason for this? At the moment they are available locally for less than Humbrol or revell colours so my collection is increasing
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
amsie

Post by amsie »

I don't know if your've tried or heard of "the art of weathering"? I've tried a lot of the techniques in there including colour mixing which I had fairly decent results with but he recommends the use of Enamels and when it comes to painting on then removing the paint with thinners I find you can sometimes "lift" some of the manufacturers paintwork underneath. However, i've always found acrylics difficult to work with and certain paints a bit thick and gloopy compared to their enamel equivilent
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
I notice you are not a user of Tamiya Acrylics... is there a reason for this? At the moment they are available locally for less than Humbrol or revell colours so my collection is increasing
no no particular reason as they are quite good i believe although i was put off many years ago by the first pot i baught ( but in my defence i didn't understand acrylics back then as i'd only used enamels ) and starting to brush paint yellow over a large surface wasn't good either ,

but i either use revel aqua colours or valejo , choose valejo over tamiya as they come in a dropper bottle that is superb to work with also a larger range than tamiya , better quality i believe and easier to use for mixing as they are packaged in dropper bottles....see video

http://youtu.be/3520sadnkT4
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

amsie wrote:I don't know if your've tried or heard of "the art of weathering"? I've tried a lot of the techniques in there including colour mixing which I had fairly decent results with but he recommends the use of Enamels and when it comes to painting on then removing the paint with thinners I find you can sometimes "lift" some of the manufacturers paintwork underneath. However, i've always found acrylics difficult to work with and certain paints a bit thick and gloopy compared to their enamel equivilent
acrylics are a difrent beast !! you practicaly have to use a difrent aproach ( i'm just starting to get used to them as i was braught up on enamels ) my biggest issue is that at first i found them to be not very durable if painting as you would enamels ( ie straight to model ) mainly because enamels bonded better but acrylics bennefit from priming first

there are difrent methods used (particularly on figures ), because drying times are fast with acrylics it limits blending times so painting is done in layers i hope to cover stuff like this later as i'll be changing an 08 shunter from green to very weathered rail blue including paint fading and dirt
tornado64

Post by tornado64 »

amsie wrote: However, i've always found acrylics difficult to work with and certain paints a bit thick and gloopy compared to their enamel equivilent
most do need thinning also i add retarder at times but often "flow enhancer " helps i use windsor and newtons ( art supplies ) http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/product/fl ... ml_bottle/