More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:26 am

The same power bogie fitted in the SR EMU could be persuaded to jackknife if you weighted the unmotored end and cut the power as it entered a curve.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RFS

Postby RFS » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 pm

clivef5915 wrote:I am looking out for one of these, but at this price I think I can live without one! And he's got 5 of them available!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-Gauge-R2524-GWR-Diesel-Railcar-No-29-/310834731571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item485f319a33

This seller - ukpartsdeal - has a very odd business model. He says he has 5 available of everything he sells, but at hugely inflated prices. Given the long delivery times, I would say he has none of these available, and if anyone were to buy one he'd use that time to resource one from elsewhere. I'm sure this breaks many Ebay rules (advertising what you don't have, for example) but you do wonder what his listing fees are.

But just look at his feedback: 700 negative, and 596 neutral in the last 12 months. Enough said.
Robert Smith

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 pm

RFS wrote:This seller - ukpartsdeal - has a very odd business model. He says he has 5 available of everything he sells, but at hugely inflated prices. Given the long delivery times, I would say he has none of these available, and if anyone were to buy one he'd use that time to resource one from elsewhere. I'm sure this breaks many Ebay rules (advertising what you don't have, for example) but you do wonder what his listing fees are.
But just look at his feedback: 700 negative, and 596 neutral in the last 12 months. Enough said.

I would also like to add that the Item location always states that it is in Hamburg, Germany.
So why does the sellers feedback state the seller location as "Based in United States, ukpartsdeal has been an eBay member since 09 Jun, 2003"

I use ebay all the time and I have seen this seller all over ebay selling well overinflated priced items.
I WILL NOT USE THIS SELLER NO MATTER WHAT!
I also send non ebay items worldwide including Russia /Eastern Europe where the postal system is kind of neglected / slow and it doesn't take anywhere near the delivery times he states.
Best thing to do? Leave him drowning in his sellers fees!

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:51 pm

When I want to buy something from the UK it often states "May not post to Germany"
I then move on and look for a different seller, thats one of the problems living abroad and
buying from the UK ebay.....

However, living in Germany and not being able to buy from Germany!!!!!! :? :roll: :roll:
Here is a screen shot of what I see on my Germany based PC...........(it may be different from where you are in the UK?)

hamburg.PNG
hamburg.PNG (7.18 KiB) Viewed 5383 times

hamburg2.PNG
hamburg2.PNG (18.33 KiB) Viewed 5383 times
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:17 pm

William Medland wrote:When I want to buy something from the UK it often states "May not post to Germany"
I then move on and look for a different seller, thats one of the problems living abroad and

However, living in Germany and not being able to buy from Germany!!!!!! :? :roll: :roll:
Here is a screen shot of what I see on my Germany based PC...........(it may be different from where you are in the UK?)

hamburg.PNG

hamburg2.PNG

That's rather odd! Probably worth asking though if it's something you want, most of the stuff you get is rare enough as it is, let alone the right postage! I thought of you this morning when I saw some large boxes of super 4 and series 3 track in my local model shop, how's it going?
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:40 pm

I thought of you this morning when I saw some large boxes of super 4 and series 3 track in my local model shop, how's it going?

I do not wish to take this thread off topic, but I will answer your question. Super 4 and series 3 track is laid and working.... I am now laying my
Hornby Dublo 3-Rail stuff, then I will think about where I am going to put my Hornby 0 guage :o

Cheers, Bill.
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:52 pm

William Medland wrote:When I want to buy something from the UK it often states "May not post to Germany"

If there is an item that you really really cannot do without, have you thought of drop shipping it to a UK family member and getting them to send it on, or even a kind forum member that will do the same?

I am not the POST OFFICE but if theres something you just cannot do without, I will offer to have it deliverd to me then shipped onto you at minimal cost.
I am not offering a service as such and thus would not want to be inundated with items but as previously mentioned, if there's something of which you cannot be without then I am available to help.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks that is a lovely offer :D

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 am

My £13.01 Dock Shunter, it ran rough out of the box. Cleaned the contacts, and the wheels put a drop of Wahl oil on the pads. Now it goes like the clappers just like a R253 should. It looks as though the body had never been taken off. Well pleased. :)

COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Bushey Troughs wrote: Now it goes like the clappers just like a R253 should.

You have to fish more dock shunters out of the docks, that way!

My internally rearranged dock shunter does about 8mph (only).

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Tosh

Postby Tosh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Beer,making ugly women look beautiful for thousands of years.....

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:19 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-HAMPSHIRE-STEPHENSONS-ROCKET-MINIATURE-PEWTER-TRAIN-/371117841968?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item566858de30

"In great condition" he says...
His eyes can't be in great condition.

Unless you happen to want a model of Rocket's unsuccessful successor, Stephenson's Brewer's Droop.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:32 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:47 pm

That has to be one of the funiest ebay nonsense to date :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”