Rails of Sheffield

What do you want from a model railway shop?

Rails of Sheffield

Post by 90733 »

I visted Rails today, mainly to look at the second hand section, as it wasn't properly open last time I visted. So off we went, asked about the second hand section, and they said if we wanted to have a look we would have to come back friday, as there not a chance we could today, even when they was a few of us wanting to look! I also felt one of the staff members wasn't very public friendly! To be honest, the rest of the shop is that impressive, and is fairly standard, however, abolutley everything nearly is behind glass, even boxed wagons and coaches, so you cannot really browse and only sutible for people who know what they want.
So in total, 3 hours of train travelling, 2 taxis and a 3mile walk wasted, thanks rails! :cry: :evil: :x
Be warned, if you want to just browse, make sure you ring first!
Bufferstop

Re: Rails of Sheffield

Post by Bufferstop »

If you were travelling to Sheffield why didn't you check here http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/South%20Yorkshire 5 more shops in town at least 3 of them a few minutes from the trams.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
SRman

Post by SRman »

In one sense I do agree with the OP, that it really is best of you know what you want - the shop seems to be set up more with storage and mail order in mind.

In spite of that, my visit to the shop in the depths of Winter 1999 was a pleasant one. I was travelling from my mothers place in Leeds to relatives in Kent and thought I would go via Sheffield to drop in to Rails. I followed the instructions on their advert of the time and got the bus from Sheffield to Healey Bottom. I wasn't sure where the shop was exactly so asked the bus driver but he wasn't sure either and that Healey Bottom was about two miles long; another passenger chipped in and said he knew where I meant to go, so we were then in an amiable three-way conversation (both gentlemen were very pleasant).

I duly arrived at Rails and almost as soon as I had entered the store they offered me a cup of tea and some further pleasant conversation. I knew what I wanted and was able to open and inspect the items before getting them packaged up and sent to my Australian address (no VAT!).

All in all, It was a pleasant excursion to somewhere I had never been before on railway lines and bus routes where everything was new to me - I had regularly done the Leeds-London-Orpington trip via the East Coast Main Line but never Leeds-Sheffield then Sheffield-St Pancras on the old Midland line, although I had covered a small portion of that on a previous cross-country trip from Plymouth to Leeds. The people I met and dealt with were all polite, helpful and friendly. What more could one ask for? :)
patchford

Post by patchford »

I was born and bred in Sheffield but live in Hereford now. Rails is a bit disappointing but the used section I enjoy rummaging through. There are some good shops in Attercliffe and the tram goes there near Don Valley Stadium. Would have made your day worthwhile I am sure.
The staff are a bit off sometimes and the whole set up seems geared for Internet and postal sales. They have more staff preparing and doing that than in the shop etc
Have a good day.
Patch

Layout Site http://www.patchtown.webs.com/
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Sorry, I don't understand why you couldn't have a look round the second-hand section. Is it really cramped or something?
amsie

Post by amsie »

I felt "disappointed" when I visited Hattons for the first and last time. I was expecting a mecca of a model shop to rummage through and spend hours getting lost, only to see a tired old shop with a few display cabinets of stuff :lol:
Shaun Wilson

Post by Shaun Wilson »

amsie wrote:I felt "disappointed" when I visited Hattons for the first and last time. I was expecting a mecca of a model shop to rummage through and spend hours getting lost, only to see a tired old shop with a few display cabinets of stuff :lol:
Well you didnt expect them just to fill there shelfs with stock (that wont sell for months) just for you to spend £20 now would you. :roll:

Post by 90733 »

Jonny wrote:Sorry, I don't understand why you couldn't have a look round the second-hand section. Is it really cramped or something?
No, they said they didn't have anyone to take us to have a look.
Tovidious

Post by Tovidious »

amsie wrote:I felt "disappointed" when I visited Hattons for the first and last time. I was expecting a mecca of a model shop to rummage through and spend hours getting lost, only to see a tired old shop with a few display cabinets of stuff :lol:
When is it that you were at Hatton's? I was there back in 2004 and it was that way then, but I was there in May of 2011 and it was full of all new display units and the staff there were very friendly and helpful. It is not full of shelves of items that are handled by lots of previous customers, so one has to look at items in the display shelves before getting a boxed item to see, but personally, I didn't have a problem with that. I agree it's not like in the old days, but I was quite please when I was there. It was well worth my trip over from the States.
Lensman 2002

Post by Lensman 2002 »

90733 wrote:I visted Rails today, mainly to look at the second hand section, as it wasn't properly open last time I visted. So off we went, asked about the second hand section, and they said if we wanted to have a look we would have to come back friday, as there not a chance we could today, even when they was a few of us wanting to look! I also felt one of the staff members wasn't very public friendly! To be honest, the rest of the shop is that impressive, and is fairly standard, however, abolutley everything nearly is behind glass, even boxed wagons and coaches, so you cannot really browse and only sutible for people who know what they want.
So in total, 3 hours of train travelling, 2 taxis and a 3mile walk wasted, thanks rails! :cry: :evil: :x
Be warned, if you want to just browse, make sure you ring first!

I visited there for the same reason and got a totally different response in that they rang upstairs to get another member of staff to go to the second hand part of the store for me to get in and for me very profitable

got a working loco
6 wagons
and some track
b308

Post by b308 »

When I went there a couple of years ago I was told that any narrow gauge secondhand was put up on ebay and not displayed, in the hidden area or main display... So I've never been back...
EE8CSVTMKIII

Post by EE8CSVTMKIII »

I've bought quite a number of their eBay-auctioned stuff, and a couple of direct orders off their site, all mailed and arrived safely here in Malaysia. Seems decent, fuss-free and happy to comply with customer requests. But somehow feels 'lacking' in off-the-shelf choices in comparison to say, Hattons. However since Hattons does not currently accept Paypal payments and I'm reluctant to key in my card details online, RoS does it for me for the time being :mrgreen:
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

90733 wrote:
Jonny wrote:Sorry, I don't understand why you couldn't have a look round the second-hand section. Is it really cramped or something?
No, they said they didn't have anyone to take us to have a look.
is it stored in some secret undergrounf vault, and you need a guard to get past all the traps?
no matter how busy the store, surely they could have found someone to take you, even if they asked you to wait 20 mins or something. not very customer centric is it?

and how does Sheffield support so many model shops... once TMZ deansgate closes, Central manchester only has Ian allen that I am aware of.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay