Exmouth Model railway on the sea front.

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Crawleyboy

Exmouth Model railway on the sea front.

Post by Crawleyboy »

Hi chaps, I will be on holiday in South Devon in a few weeks and I was thinking of going to this model railway. I last visited it about 20 years ago and it was very dirty and rather naff. Has it improved. I'd like to hear from people that may have been to see it in recent years.
thomas the plank engine

Re: Exmouth Model railway on the sea front.

Post by thomas the plank engine »

Must admit I forgot to go there when I visited Collets Models in Exmouth so can't give you an update on their current situation. Like me the last time I went was 10 years ago and was greatly disappointed by is somewhat dishevelled looks inside and out.

Ian
00 garden railways rule

My web site
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 3c90e078aa
canman

Post by canman »

I think the most important thing is that it is there. It is very possible that it could introduce youngsters to model railways, which is only a good thing. So i would say that it should be supported as it would be a sad loss if it closed.

Keith.
moreover

Post by moreover »

I went there last summer with my grandson (aged 4).
He loved it and to be fair the guy ran it as long as my grandson wanted.
I thought it was (at least) showing it's age, but overall worth a visit if you have kids with you.
thomas the plank engine

Went to visit it yesterday, after calling in at Collets Models in Exmouth. Its certainly looking its age, but the present owners are undertaking a 5 year revamp. Work has already started in some places around the layout and can be clearly seen. As this is now a work in progress layout its good that not only can you see what has been removed or added but they are keeping the trains running still. That in itself is an achievement. Wil try to make more regular visits to see how the revamp is getting along.

Ian
00 garden railways rule

My web site
Headgardener

Post by Headgardener »

Gosh is that still going? I remember going to see that when I was a teenager and I will be 53 on friday :D . Glad to hear it is still going. May try and get down to see it sometime this year.
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

I must confess that even though I have spent a fair chunk of my life in East Devon (and indeed we are looking at moving back to that neck of the woods) I have never been. :oops:

But I will say that if you are in the area, other places worth a visit include Buckfastleigh steam railway, Pecorama at Beer and Buffers model railway shop (of James May Toy Stories fame) near Chard/Axminster.

Hope you have a great holiday. :)

Edit. Just seen the op date so I will change that to next time you go... and hope you had a nice holiday. :oops:
Apologies.
thomas the plank engine

Seeing what the local council of Exmouth is doing at present, selling off parts of the historic buildings at Exmouth and redeveloping the sea front, there are rumours abound that the Model Railway on the sea front at Exmouth could be under the chop. As yet this is unconfirmed but the new owners are at presnt keeping the model railway up and running but are not as we speak doing to much of a revamp as originally planned.
No doubt someone on here will be able to find out more, trawling through the local press releases and or planning plans.

Ian
00 garden railways rule

My web site
thomas the plank engine

Collets Models of Exmouth. Leigh Collet, the owner of said shop standing in the doorway of his model railway shop. Well worth a visit if you are down in the area.

Ian
00 garden railways rule

My web site
marieann

Post by marieann »

So many things have changed over the past 20 years of course the Model railway has improved. In fact you can see in their website: http://www.exmouthmodelrailway.co.uk/. It's constantly changing and developing. So, you're up for a holiday in South Devon. It's such a great place. Have you checked out the cottages in Sidmouth? Check it here: http://www.bluechipholidays.co.uk/sidmo ... tages.html for affordable rates.
moreover

Post by moreover »

Was in Exmouth the week before last, went there and was impolitely told at the desk that it was closed for the day.
This was at 4pm on a very sunny friday.
Must be raking it in to be able to afford to close that early with the resort packed with holiday makers.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

moreover wrote:Was in Exmouth the week before last, went there and was impolitely told at the desk that it was closed for the day.
This was at 4pm on a very sunny friday.
Must be raking it in to be able to afford to close that early with the resort packed with holiday makers.
This is a common problem with seaside tourism businesses... on most Fridays at 4 pm there is probably no-one around, then on a few days a year the place is packed. Can the owner employ someone on a contract that says they will only get paid if it's sunny - probably not :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
badders68

Post by badders68 »

I visited it a few weeks ago (I live in Exmouth) and while I found the lady a little 'unfriendly', Brian, the bloke who runs it was very helpful and friendly and even though I arrived after the Model Railway had closed, he let me have a look and showed me his stock, whilst also recommending Collets to me.
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

We popped in here yesterday. I didn't realise it used to be the largest OO layout in the world. Mind you, that was some time ago. It is still under threat of being demolished with the seafront development though.

The breakfast in the railway carriage café was very good. :D

Cheers,
John.