Lima 00 gauge 94XX conversion

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
AJFE 2488

Re: Lima 00 gauge 94XX conversion

Post by AJFE 2488 »

Picture time guys as promised. Sorry about the picture quality as I've been using my phone but still an improvement on the other photos so far.
assembled side view.jpg
assembled side view.jpg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Just for you GeraldH is my 94XX from the side. The front and rear wheels are pretty spot on however the middle set is off by quite a few mils however it is only noticeable when you look at it dead on from the side.
altered cab.jpg
altered cab.jpg (408.33 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Here is something I probably should have done before painting. Originally on both sides there was a piece of molded plastic set within the cab sides which covered up half the opening. On the real thing there is none of this so I have shaven and filed this away to open up the cabsides to make it look more like the prototype. Still in need of the new number-plates which I have ordered from Fox Transfers and should be receiving them next week along with the BR insignia and the new number-plates for my 14XX. One thing I have noticed is that I have marked up the power classification wrong on this loco. The real thing has a power classification of C whereas I have marked mine as D. This will be easy to recitify as I have still got the transfer set for this.
Bunker.jpg
Bunker.jpg (422.3 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
This is a new idea I have thought of today, the plastic coal in the bunker is removable as seen and this present me with an opportunity to add realistic coal into the bunker. First I will need to add plastic card to the inside rear of the cab and inside the bunker to make a floor for the bunker then glue in some "proper" coal. I'm also considering removing the plastic grilles on the rear cab viewing ports and replacing them with wire and adding clear plastic to the ports as-well. Whether or not this is feasible I do not know but it is something I could look into. I will add clear plastic sheet to the front ports as these are pretty straight forward to do.
wiring harness.jpg
wiring harness.jpg (449.3 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Here is the decoder socket fitted to the chassis, It is very straight forward to wire one but I recommend getting a helping hand to hold the bits in place while soldering. If anyone is wondering what the green and blue wires are for, it so that I can solder a small LED in to act as the glowing firebox.
assembled modified.jpg
assembled modified.jpg (470.71 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
And finally here is the loco assembled with the modifications done so far. Next on the to do list is to fit the number-plates when received, change the power classification letter, add the BR insignia when received, add plastic card and realistic coal to the bunker, fit the firebox led and glue in some clear plastic for the viewing ports. On the possibilities list is replacing the plastic grill on the rear viewing ports with wire and add plastic sheet to them, replacing the molded handle bars and brackets with wire ones and making a cab end of the boiler to stick in the cab to hide the motor, decoder and the LED. I could either make a molded copy of one from a Collet Goods if I ever get hold of one or I could just make a mock one from plastic card.
AJFE 2488

Post by AJFE 2488 »

Quick update for today. I have now fitted plasticard to the inside of the bunker to shape it out and glued "coal" in it as-well. Only trouble is I'm using a 50/50 mix of water and PVA glue and it has been awkward as there is a microscopic gap where I've been gluing the plasticard which allows the glue mix to seep through. So because of this I've been having to re-add the mix every few hours to ensure the whole thing gets glued properly. Next up, I have created a plasticard Boiler backhead which has now been glued into the cab. A small hole near the bottom has been cut out to allow for the LED Firebox glow effect which I still need to do. Last but not least my Transfers and Cabside number plates from Fox Transfers have finally arrived. Really impressed with the quality of these bits and I'll definitely be ordering from them again should I need to. Probably will since the Nameplates on my Hornby Grange need replacing as they are damaged and I have bought a Mainline Manor from ebay which will most likely get a repaint and new name and numberplates (My loco collection for now will consist of those that were based at 84B Oxley shed). Pics to follow when I get a chance.
AJFE 2488

Post by AJFE 2488 »

Today I have finally finished converting the Lima 94xx from its old sorry state that made it look like it belongs in a scrapyard to a high quality freshly painted and renumbered locomotive that looks like it has just come off the production line at Swindon works. As a reminder for everyone of what I have done to this model I have; repainted the loco in British Railways livery and given it a gloss coating (mainly to hold the decals in place but to protect the paintwork as-well), replaced the original Lima chassis which was on its last legs with a Hornby chassis, made the chassis DCC ready and fitted a Sapphire decoder, given the body a pair of high quality brass numberplates, power classification and route availability indicators and the British Railways Cycling Lion Insignia (all courtesy of Fox Transfers who I highly recommend to anyone modifying their models), replaced the molded coal with realistic coal and added a cab floor, boiler backhead and 2 crewmen. Now just to remind everyone what the loco looked like before:
94xx side.jpg
94xx side.jpg (89.34 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
And here is how it looks now:
Finished right side view.jpg
Finished right side view.jpg (475.53 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Close up on the cab:
Finished right side cab view.jpg
Finished right side cab view.jpg (423.4 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
The bunker with "proper" coal:
Finished Bunker view.jpg
Finished Bunker view.jpg (472.53 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Close up on other side of the cab:
Finished Left side cab view.jpg
Finished Left side cab view.jpg (445.15 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
AJFE 2488

Post by AJFE 2488 »

The whole left side:
Finished Left side view.jpg
Finished Left side view.jpg (477.86 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
And a close up on the cab view ports which I've added clear plastic to:
Cab view ports.jpg
Cab view ports.jpg (458.82 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
Overall I am impressed with the quality of how this conversion has turned out and look forward to using it on a layout (when I eventually build a new one). Hopefully you guys should find this guide very useful should you decide to convert your own models of the Lima's 94XX. Next on the Workshop's queue is a recent addition to the fleet, a Mainline 78XX Manor which desperately needs attention.
woode

Re: Lima 00 gauge 94XX conversion (FINISHED)

Post by woode »

94xx Chassis Conversion

The 94xx, 2721, 57xxx & 8750 GWR 0-6-0 locos had front to centre wheel spacing of 7' 3"
(29mm) and a centre to rear of 8' 3" (33mm), with a wheel diameter of 4' 7 ½" (18.5mm).
The Collet and Dean Goods had the same spacing but the wheels were 5' 2" (20.7mm)

The Lima model has incorrect centre to rear wheel spacing and has 17.8mm diameter wheels.
The Hornby class 7 motor has incorrect front to centre wheel spacing and uses 19.3mm
wheels.

The Bachmann 57xx/8750 (32-****) chassis has the correct wheel spacing and size. This is an
excellent chassis and includes the external brake rodding. Www.gwr.org.uk has a conversion
using the old split 57xx chassis but I do not know what the wheels are like on this model but
they did not line up. The only problem I can see is remounting the NEM couplings.

I do not know why the cab side shutters were removed, they should be there!
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

While the Bachmann chassis has the correct wheel spacing, I believe the Lima model was altered to accept the chassis from the J50 and so, as modelled, the wheel spacing on the Lima 94XX is incorrect. This is why the Bachmann chassis does not align correctly.

I have a 57XX (8700) enroute to me at present. I did intend doing the conversion but it seems a shame to remove a perfectly good, highly detailed body just to fit an old Lima superstructure. Bachmann have a 94XX in the pipeline, but delivery some time in the future. I will await that model.
6C

Post by 6C »

Have done this myself and like AJFE - it was to provide a low-cost conversion - as the the Bachmann chassis commands a stiff premium - especially when you are applying it to a body that can be bought for a few pounds.

I too eagerly await a Bachmann version with decent scale chassis with some anticipation....
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

That's a very nice job. It looks a lot better with the Hornby chassis, even with the minor wheel alignment issue.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
woode

Post by woode »

I have compared the Lima 94xx body with the diagram by E J Roche and it appears to about 1mm too
long. (1. Between the centre splasher and rear steps. 2. Between the chimney and safety valves).

I would expect there to be the following improvements on the Bachmann version:-
NEM couplings, Brake rigging, Lamp Brackets, Front & rear buffer beam hooks, Sprung buffers,
Better handrail knobs, Cab windows, and 4 bunker tool brackets.

The first two come with fitting a 8750/late 57xx Bachmann chassis, and the rest are straight forward
inexpensive detailing modifications.

So before you commit to the expense of the new Bachmann model have another look at the Lima
body. The main difficulty is getting one with good transfers!

PS to my last post:- Longer NEM couplings can be made by cutting the front off a cranked coupling
(preferably the long ones) and the back off a straight coupling then pinning them together with a peco
track pin, add a dab of superglue to keep things together.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Good stuff

I've got one of these on my workbench too. Body is done but I'm waiting for a friendly supplier to do an all singing and dancing etched chassis.

Cheers

Jim
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I did the research and purchased a new 57XX chassis to do the conversion but for two reasons stopped. Firstly, Bachmann will be releasing a 94XX later this year (?) and the cost of purchasing a donor 57XX chassis plus a donor 94XX to do the conversion would almost exceed the cost of the upcoming Bachmann 94XX. Secondly, when I looked at the Bachmann 57XX body I could not convince myself to buy a Lima body to replace it. Sort of making a pig's ear from a silk purse.
woode

Post by woode »

The Bachmann 57xx is a very nice model and needs to be in a GWR Loco collection.
I sold the 94xx chassis, 8750 body and box for £21.00, after E_Bay fees, so this brings the cost of a
hybrid down and if you already have good a 94xx, a hybrid looks even more attractive.
woode

Post by woode »

I have obtained a Mainline 57xx chassis and the wheel spacing and size is as the later Bachmann
chassis ie. correct for the 94xx. So, the reason the wheels and splashers do not line up, on the loco
shown at http://www.gwr.org.uk , is that the chassis was not mounted far enough forward. The front of
either chassis needs to be narrowed to fit inside the 11.5mm wide foot of the 94xx smoke box.
Attachments
LM Chassis - 1.jpg
LM Chassis - 1.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
LM Chassis - 2.jpg
LM Chassis - 2.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
LM Chassis - 4.jpg
LM Chassis - 4.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
LB Chassis - 1.jpg
LB Chassis - 1.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
LB Chassis - 2.jpg
LB Chassis - 2.jpg (56.16 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
AJFE 2488

Post by AJFE 2488 »

Very interesting to see everyone else's opinions on this one since I haven't monitored the post for a good few years.
As an update, I have been off the hobby for a good few years due to concentrating on sorting my life out after being medically discharged from the Army back in 2014 and getting an apprenticeship over and done with. So the good news is I'm still in full time employment and requalified as a Fabricator Welder, just trying to find better paying work at the moment and have started a HNC in Mechanical Engineering to help me out in this.

So anyway, with respects to my 94xx, I wasn't too happy with how I painted the body in the first place due to using Games Workshop acrylics and varnish that I had brush painted on. This has now been stripped back to the bare plastic, sprayed with grey primer and given an initial spray of Railmatch GWR Green. Will have to go over it again at some point to give it a better coat.

Also I wasn't too happy with how I did the conversion as it did mean the body was sitting too high upon the chassis and made it higher than it should have been. So the Cab floor that I put in has been removed and when I get the chance to do so, I'll be looking into getting a better one done for it. Will be modelling a better interior for it and probably stick the cab side shutters back in, really don't know why I removed them in the first place years ago. Have gotten hold of a Flickering Firebox LED kit from Layouts4u and will look at adding this since I originally planned to do it years ago.
AJFE 2488

Post by AJFE 2488 »

Very interesting to see everyone else's opinions on this one since I haven't monitored the post for a good few years.
As an update, I have been off the hobby for a good few years due to concentrating on sorting my life out after being medically discharged from the Army back in 2014 and getting an apprenticeship over and done with. So the good news is I'm still in full time employment and requalified as a Fabricator Welder, just trying to find better paying work at the moment and have started a HNC in Mechanical Engineering to help me out in this.

So anyway, with respects to my 94xx, I wasn't too happy with how I painted the body in the first place due to using Games Workshop acrylics and varnish that I had brush painted on. This has now been stripped back to the bare plastic, sprayed with grey primer and given an initial spray of Railmatch GWR Green. Will have to go over it again at some point to give it a better coat.

Also I wasn't too happy with how I did the conversion as it did mean the body was sitting too high upon the chassis and made it higher than it should have been. So the Cab floor that I put in has been removed and when I get the chance to do so, I'll be looking into getting a better one done for it. Will be modelling a better interior for it and probably stick the cab side shutters back in, really don't know why I removed them in the first place years ago. Have gotten hold of a Flickering Firebox LED kit from Layouts4u and will look at adding this since I originally planned to do it years ago.