Hornby Pannier Tank

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
siringe

Hornby Pannier Tank

Post by siringe »

Hi All,
I want to know if the Hornby Pannier Tank comeing out with DCC. on board would be worth buying at 44 pound i would only be useing it on a small shunting layout.
Regards Terry,
Essex2Visuvesi

Re: Hornby Pannier Tank

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I would (and have) get the latest bachmann one
Runs lovely, look great and easy to fit the DCC
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Seconded-I would reach a little urther to find the extra tenner.Had both & Bachmann's is nicer,better runner & excellent puller.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

and the SL75 sound decoder from youchoose sounds the business. Needs no trimming to fit, just fit the speaker in the coal bunker

Proud member of the OAM
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Seriously good advice. The Hornby Pannier was acceptable once but in comparison with the Bachmann offering it fades rather badly. Shop around, a late model Bachmann Pannier can be had for £40-45.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Unable to edit above post unfortunately - this was was split from a recent freight set and cost £42. No comparison !

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
siringe

Post by siringe »

Hi All.
I have both of the Bachmann Pannier Tanks c/w TCS.DP2X-UK Decoders fitted, and as they are going to be used on a small shunting layout slow speed up to 20 scale 20MPH they run erraticly ,i have nipped out the supprers, set cv54 to12 and cv55 to62 and have tryed turning off BEMF and both still hesitate (Hunt).between speed steps.Now thasks for your help,i like the look of the Hornby Pannier and wanted to know how well it runs.
Regards Terry. :(
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I have a round half dozen of this Bachmann mechanism, including a couple of pannier chassis and several of the Jinty which shares the same design of motor and gear train. All smooth and reliable from a dead slow crawl on DC, using an old H&M clipper resistance controller, no BEMF assistance. Test your chassis on DC without a decoder, and if the decoder you use cannot match that performance then you will know it is time to look for something better. For myself, never a problem with Lenz standard decoders; these will operate this chassis as slowly and smoothly as anyone could reasonably desire, very close in performance to the much lower geared and flywheel equipped Bachmann and Hornby 08s ...
siringe

Post by siringe »

Thanks Bigmet the two Panniers were run in at my club on aH&M Clipper that was on a layout we were tissying up for a club Widow to sell ,Now sold , the locos both got 2 hours in each direction ,smooth as silk,only complaint was the speed they were capable of,i used these decoders as recomended on this Forum by a number members,Dad 1 Geoff has given me some settings to try,will give them a go on wednesday night at the club, ionly have APP,3ft of test track at the moment,timber and marine ply now in house ,time to start my UK 2ftx8ft Terminus Layout.
Regards Terry. :D
roadie stu

Post by roadie stu »

I have the Hornby 2771 pannier, a 1970's 8751 pannier, and a bachmann pannier,

I have had the Hornby 2771 pannier for 6 years or so, it was ok to start off with, but over time it bacame a very erratic runner and gave up the ghost around 3 1/2 years ago, the body of the loco isn't too bad (doesn't have sprung loaded buffers), but is let down by a poor chassis (and traction tyres), and the chassis I have is not DCC ready (not an issue as I run DC)

although the 1970's pannier lacks the detail of the later body of both the 2771 and Bachmann pannier, the chassis is miles better and is one of the most reliable loco's I have

I agree with everyone else on the bachmann pannier, once run in as reccomended, it is far superior to what Hornby currently offer in both chassis and body, and it's worth spending the extra money, especially if you are running DCC

Hope this helps

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault
siringe

Post by siringe »

Hi All.
Last night i tryed the settings Geoff suggested all fixed great improvement Collet Goods c/w DP2X-UK smooth as silk,56XX c/w T1the same Panniers c/w DP2X greatly improved,i think a little more running will help.
Now back to the Hornby new Pannier coming out ,no traction tyres good,DCC on board ,good ?,any body know if the chassis,motor, etc, have improved, i like the open cab on it ?
Regards Terry. :D :D :D
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

siringe wrote:Hi All.
i like the open cab on it
Regards Terry. :D :D :D
Funnily enough thats what puts me off the Hornby offering lol

Proud member of the OAM
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

siringe wrote:Now back to the Hornby new Pannier coming out ,no traction tyres good,DCC on board ,good ?,any body know if the chassis,motor, etc, have improved, i like the open cab on it ?
The new Railroad chassis has problems traversing Peco set-track curved points (and sometimes other Peco/Hornby set-track points). If you search the archives you should find several reports of this. The problem seems to be a lack of articulation in the wheelbase causing the centre wheel to ride up slightly when passing through the frog - breaking contact on one side. It's a shame as they can be made to run reasonably on plain track :(

I have also had problems with the moulded brake shoes rubbing on the wheels - a bit too realistic! This is not helped by the often floppy bearings in the chassis. I have several Hornby 0-6-0s of various generations and my best runners are those with a re-wheeled sprung SSPP chassis. Of course the time and money spent in rewheeling them means that I would have been better off buying Bachmann 0-6-0's, but they don't make the half-cab pannier, J52, J83, E2 etc. which I have. If Hornby were to bring out a fractionally more articulated chassis with double reduction gearing and brake shoes slightly further from the wheels that could be nice runners :)
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

Nothing at all wrong with my Hornby pannier.....

:wink:

COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

siringe

Post by siringe »

Hi Bushey.
Looks like a golden oldy a bit like me , how does it perform.
Regards Terry.