Flying Scotsman Review

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
suchahampal

Flying Scotsman Review

Post by suchahampal »

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187 ... l/0001.jpg

Photobucket can't cope well with large pictures so there are lines everywhere which should not be there. I am trying to find a better program.

Thank You
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

What is PNG?
Raider

Post by Raider »

Just to show what can be done with a JPG file I have reduced the quality of the image by using the save for web option in Photoshop. The file size is now 36.9kb.

Would still be better if the review was done in text tho.

Chris
Raider

Post by Raider »

I was just taking it to the extreme as an experiment really - the loss of quality is only really noticeable on the text portion and the traffic lights at the bottom.

Here endeth the lesson :wink:
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

I can't seem to get my Word Document onto the internet. I had 2 choices. I could turn the review into a movie or a picture. What would you chose?
Raider

Post by Raider »

Copy and paste the words in to a message and include the photos as normal - thats the way I would do it.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Nice honest Review. welldone
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

I turned it into a movie! :lol:
I can't watch how it turned out because I don't have flash (because photobucket turns the movie into flash.) ENJOY!

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n187 ... b_0001.flv
Nick

Post by Nick »

On the contary to this I purchased a super detailed version in 2002 of 4472 which has only been out of the box once to be test ran (I'm not a kettle fan), however I must admit the detail is excellent but is let down by tender drive. I think, I may be wrong in this that the modles supplied in Model Railway sets are differently to those bought seperatly? :?
Slowly building a BR 1960s/1970s LMR Diesel layout....
Update: Track laying in progress
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

Last edited by suchahampal on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

Oops I have given you the wrong thing!!!

:oops:

The real review:

http://www.freewebs.com/lintilly/001.doc
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

Improved Review:

Flying Scotsman (Trainset)

DCC: No
LIGHTS: No
MOTOR: Ringfield (Tender-drive)
TRACTION TYRES: Yes (can someone confirm me on this)
PRODUCT CODE: R1039

(Picture Taken From Hattons)

The ‘Flying Scotsman’ ran famously from London to Edinburgh nonstop in 8 hours. For this train, it was fitted with a large eight-wheel tender which included a corridor connection to allow the crew to change over.

So, Hornby has decided to make a trainset of it. And it is a totally pathetic piece of trash!

First of all, it has one of those bog-standard ringfield motors, even worse, it has a tender drive! What could be worse. Running is noisy, and it can’t pull many coaches!

Secondly, the detail is poor. The builders plates aren’t even on there. All there is, is an oval shape, moulded into the plastic. The cab is just basic moulded detail. The coaches doesn’t even have that ‘charm’ that they once had.

Thirdly, it is not DCC ready, although by now, probably you just want to chuck it in the bin!

Finally, it is way overpriced. For that money, I could get a SUPER-DETAILED class 57/3 with a couple of coaches!

However, it is a classic train, and many people will still want it!

+ Classic Train, otherwise Little of Note.
- Poor drive, not DCC friendly, poor detail etc.

Overall Rating: 2.5/10

Not Recommended – Poor

Review by ‘Suchahampal’
bunji

Post by bunji »

Interesting...

I suppose that's what Hornby's really doing nowadays - releasing lower quality stock in sets rather than for individual locos. If you take that DCC set, for example, the 08 diesel shunter looks like it has the chassis from a Jinty or something (don't know the technical term.) I guess its because sets are generally aimed at the newer end of the market for people/children just starting in railway modelling. I still think its silly though - that could be the first experience of model railways and it wouldnt be a nice one.

Re the expensive price, I'd imagined Hornby jacked the price up as it includes track and and controllers, which first time buyers might not know the true value of.
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

bunji wrote:If you take that DCC set, for example, the 08 diesel shunter looks like it has the chassis from a Jinty or something (don't know the technical term.)
I emailed Hornby and it's actually got the new all singing, all dancing 08 in it. I guess the similarity comes from the fact they both have 6 wheels :wink:
bunji wrote:Re the expensive price, I'd imagined Hornby jacked the price up as it includes track and and controllers, which first time buyers might not know the true value of.
It's actually cheaper to buy things in a set, though I don't know why. You get 3 (crappy?) coaches, a crappy loco, 2 crappy points, some crappy track and an average controller.... :)
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

dr5euss wrote:(crappy?)
[K9]Affirmative![/K9]

:)