Spray Glue

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
aeroken1

Spray Glue

Postby aeroken1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Have seen on some video's on Youtube spray glue. Can you make your own from PVA glue or do you have to buy it ready mixed.

stuartp

Re: Spray Glue

Postby stuartp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 pm

I suppose there's nothing to stop you using dilute PVA in a plant sprayer or similar, but by the time you've watered it down enough to allow it atomize properly I doubt it would stick much. Also you would need to clean the spray head very carefully afterwards to stop it clogging up.

You can get aerosol glues of various types. 3M Spraymount, Displaymount and Photomount are designed for graphic design and display work, they have different degrees of stickiness depending on what you want to do with them. (One allows repositioning of the photo or whatever you've just stuck down, one allows repositioning for a little while until it sets, and the other sticks immediately so you'd better get it straight first time - you'll need to check which is which though). Try WHSmiths, Staples, Office World etc.

The other option is carpet adhesive which is immensly strong, and messy. Great for sticking large sheets of foamboard or thick card together, but a bit fierce for sticking scenic scatter down. Your local DIY emporium should have something useful.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

kjiwizard

Postby kjiwizard » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm

I went to an exhibition a couple of years ago and saw a demonstration by someone using hair spray. He said to get the cheapest stickiest one you could find. So I suggest you ask the missus which one she avoids :lol:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm

depends what you're using it for, for fixing foliage to tree armatures hair spray or diluted PVA works fine in my experience :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Return to “Scenery”