Pavements and roads

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
spiket4

Pavements and roads

Post by spiket4 »

Hi all.
Im looking at various options for roads and pavements and was after your opinion on them.
Firstly the scalescene downloadable print outs and secondly the metcalfe paving slabs.
Both products look ok from pictures i have seen. But what do you think.

Mark
johnco

Re: Pavements and roads

Post by johnco »

Whatever you decide on (I've used various grades of emery paper for carriageway and footways) remember that the colour and textures are never uniform, so the surface will need to be weathered. You can add skid marks,trench reinstatements,wheel tracking of different shading,puddles and so on.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

i'm using metcalfe paving slabs at the moment, and they are very good (and slightly addictive :mrgreen: ) but dont try weathering them with anything wet whatever you do!! they just become a soggy mess as they are paper based. use dry materials for weathering. otherwise they are very good, fairly cheap compared to some of the rip-off that are emerging in our hobby, and make a good 3d effect because they are all seperate
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

You can buy weathering "powders" of various descriptions but you might find the following cheap and useful:-
coffee
pencil lead
chalk
talc
coal dust
real soot
and a track rubber for tyre marks
You can apply most of them with a brush but the best applicator I've found is the tip of my index finger. Just need to scrub it vigorously once you've finished. (the finger that is, not the model)
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
jus

Post by jus »

flying scotsman123 wrote:i'm using metcalfe paving slabs at the moment, and they are very good (and slightly addictive :mrgreen: ) but dont try weathering them with anything wet whatever you do!! they just become a soggy mess as they are paper based. use dry materials for weathering. otherwise they are very good, fairly cheap compared to some of the rip-off that are emerging in our hobby, and make a good 3d effect because they are all seperate
Totally agree about metcalfe slabs. Try and get the older, self adhesive ones if you can. they're slightly better, and they make very good pavements. Roads are different. I use either textured paint, or more often, a mix of greys, with fine sand stirred in. I use the 99p tester pots from most DIY sheds. I also use thin black gloss paint to make tar lines, where roads have been dug up, and a slightly darker or lighter shade of grey paint.
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR
keef777

Post by keef777 »

I disagree about the Metcalfe self-adhesive ones, the gaps are so huge in scale size that you could put your fist in the cracks. I much prefer the Metcalfe card for realism, also the Superquick is very good but you need a stiff backing.

Keith
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Hiya

Here's one of mine

For a how too see here. http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... lit=+Roads

Hth

Jim
johnco

Post by johnco »

Hiya Jim S-W
Only one thing to say as an ex highway engineer, BRILL
flying scotsman123

that road is great, i love the bollards, only thing missing is cars :D
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

And traffic lights!

Here you go for the vehicles

Pic copyright the scalefour society - used with permission

Cheers

Jim
flying scotsman123

wow, looks even better, i'm drooling at the sight of it :P
spiket4

Post by spiket4 »

Thanks for the advice :D
That road and vehicles looks fantastic Jim.

Mark
bolly1965

Post by bolly1965 »

I recently have done the roads for my layout. I mixed pre-prepared filler (cheap at the pound shop), and black acrylic paint. I then pained this mix onto the baseboard. I did three coats, each a slightly different shade of grey.When it's finaly dry I used a fine grade sandpaper to get rid of the some of the brush marks and to get an impression of camber. When i'd finished i wiped down the surface with a damp microfibre cloth and noticed that this was better than the sandpaper for smoothing and polishing the surface. The finish is not uniform and looks quite realistic, edged off with Metcalf Paving slabs. Just going to finish off with a fine black sharpie down the centre to give the impression of tar lines and a bit of weathering.
log0008

Post by log0008 »

JimSW, they look awesome, i totally wish mine looked like yours!